Moto GP
Great stuff Rev004!!!!
Woman,where's my wallet?
And whats for tea?
Thanks Kev , good read.
Roll on April!
Well Testing at Sepang comcluded today with Stoner finishing on top closely followed by Rossi. So I spose we will have to wait and see now with most teams still to fulfill there testing time so roll on 2009..

Here is some more reading...

Sepang test concludes with Stoner on top
Saturday, 07 February 2009

As the first MotoGP test of 2009 concluded it was Ducatiâ€s Casey Stoner who sat proudly at the top of the Sepang timesheets.

Ducati Marlboroâ€s Casey Stoner set the pace on the third and final test day in Malaysia on Saturday, registering a hot lap of 2â€01.043 on the last of his 38 turns of the Sepang circuit to keep him ahead of the pack.

Having complained of continued pain in the wrist which hindered him in the second half of the 2008 season - the Australian is still recovering from the corrective surgery he underwent in November - Stoner kept his workload to a minimum but was still quick enough to end the day on top, by a 0.094s margin from rival Valentino Rossi.

Indeed Fiat Yamaha star Rossi and his compatriot Loris Capirossi of Rizla Suzuki were both on the pace again, having also featured in the top three on Thursday and Friday. Capirossi went round 0.219s behind former team-mate Stoner, continuing with an encouraging rhythm onboard the significantly updated 2009 GSV-R.

Also in good form over the three days in Sepang, Tech 3 Yamahaâ€s Colin Edwards was the fastest rider on satellite machinery, lapping fourth quickest on the new Yamaha M1 which he debuted on Thursday. Toni Elias†best effort, meanwhile, was just half a second off Stonerâ€s pace and his performance on his factory spec San Carlo Honda Gresini RC212V ensured there was top five representation on the timesheet from all four manufacturers present at Sepang.

Suzukiâ€s Chris Vermeulen and MotoGP sophomores Jorge Lorenzo (Fiat Yamaha) and Andrea Dovzioso (Repsol Honda) also featured in the top eight. Dovizioso demonstrated a good pace but opted against a full race simulation as he resolved setting problems and further acquainted himself with his new Bridgestones, whilst Lorenzo enjoyed a successful race simulation and overcame some braking issues which had hindered him in the previous 48 hours as he too familiarised himself with new Japanese rubber.

The top ten was completed by an improved Mika Kallio, who overcame hitherto restrictive handling issues and fellow Ducati rider Nicky Hayden, the only crasher of the day on a troublesome piece of asphalt at turn two which had caught out other riders on the previous two days.

MotoGP Official Test at Sepang, Malaysia
Session 3 - 07/02/09
Pos Rider Team Fastest lap Prev. Gap Lead. Gap Laps
1 Casey STONER Ducati MarlboroTeam 2:01.043 - - 38 Australia2
2 Valentino ROSSI Fiat Yamaha 2:01.137 +0.094 +0.094 43
3 Loris CAPIROSSI Team Suzuki 2:01.262 +0.125 +0.219 60
4 Colin EDWARDS Tech3 Yamaha 2:01.413 +0.151 +0.370 22
5 Toni ELIAS San Carlo Honda Gresini 2:01.560 +0.147 +0.517 43
6 Chris VERMEULEN Team Suzuki 2:01.666 +0.106 +0.623 48 Australia2
7 Jorge LORENZO Fiat Yamaha 2:01.907 +0.241 +0.864 61
8 Andrea DOVIZIOSO Repsol Honda 2:01.955 +0.048 +0.912 54
9 Mika KALLIO Pramac Racing 2:02.386 +0.431 +1.343 61
10 Nicky HAYDEN Ducati Marlboro Team 2:02.497 +0.111 +1.454 62
11 Alex DE ANGELIS San Carlo Honda Gresini 2:02.523 +0.026 +1.480 32
12 Sete GIBERNAU Guinea Ecuatorial 2:02.727 +0.204 +1.684 42
13 Randy DE PUNIET LCR Honda 2:03.418 +0.691 +2.375 50
14 Yuki TAKAHASHI Scot Racing Team 2:03.474 +0.056 +2.431 58
15 Niccolo CANEPA Pramac Racing 2:03.901 +0.427 +2.858 41
16 James TOSELAND Tech3 Yamaha 2:03.953 +0.052 +2.910 36
17 Yamaha Test Yamaha Factory 2:04.328 +0.375 +3.285 38
18 Yamaha Test Yamaha Factory 2:04.614 +0.286 +3.571 33

De Puniet: "I need more time to adjust the bike"

Only 13th fastest on the third day of testing at Sepang, LCR Honda's Randy de Puniet hopes to improve next time out in Qatar.

LCR Honda MotoGP Team racer Randy De Puniet completed 50-laps today aboard the Bridgestone-shod LCR Honda RC212V 2009 spec. clocking his fastest lap time of 2â€03.418 (13th position).

The Frenchman proceeded with his tyres testing and setting set-up throughout the whole day thanks to the favourably warm conditions at the Malaysian track.

"We improved the lap time but itâ€s not enough for me: last year I was 4th here in the same test session," said the Frenchman. "Thereâ€s a lot of things to adjust but this first outing gathered us important data for next test session in Qatar."

"This morning we took a step forward and I knew I could improve more in the afternoon but we suffered some brake problems and we skipped the session for more than one hour. Today I feel more positive than yesterday but I need more time to adjust the bike."

Dovizioso confident after first 2009 test

Andrea Dovizioso completed the first MotoGP tests of 2009 with positive feelings.

The Repsol Honda man continued his adaptation to the new bike, evaluating the chassis of his RC212V and working on machine-tyres matching in typical tropical conditions.

The Italian rider, who last year scored his first MotoGP podium on this track, was Repsol Hondaâ€s lone rider today. Andrea improved his race pace, cutting more than 4 tenths off his lap time from yesterday.

"We focused on bike set up and decided the way to follow concerning the chassis," commented the former 125cc World Champion. "We understood a lot of things during these three days and Iâ€m very confident. We need more work to adapt the machine to the tyres, this is a very important point. Concerning the engine, my feeling is that we need a smoother power delivery."

"Today it was really hot and it was very demanding out there from a physical point of view, especially after a break of more than two months. I did a long run of eleven laps to understand better the machine and the tyres and collect data. All in all, we have done a very good job and everybody in the team is very motivated."

His team-mate Dani Pedrosa ended the test session yesterday after completing the test programme with confidence and good feelings, even if he decided to return to Barcelona earlier than originally planned, as he continues to recover from a knee injury which he picked up at the end of last year.

"Iâ€m satisfied of the work done during these three days of testing, both riders and team worked very well and we have fixed the line to follow for the season," said team manager Kazuhiko Yamano. "We did an important step forward. Dani finished his programme yesterday, he understood the bike and the way to follow and Andrea concluded the job today with a long run. The motivation in the team in very high and we look forward to the next test session in Qatar at the beginning of March."

Repsol Honda riders resume testing at Losail, Qatar in three weeks, next 1st, 2nd and 3rd of March.
Good to see C V up there in the times but what I find fantastic is Loris Caparossi at the pointy end. Always had a soft spot for Loris. Always the gentleman in the true sense of the word.
So whats next?
Woman,where's my wallet?
And whats for tea?
Rossi had a accident involving a Coffee table , hope his boyfriend didnt get to badly cut

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/st...23,00.html
[Image: photo3.jpg]
Hey fellers want some more reading well here is some more info to come out of Sepang

Brivio satisfied with initial 2009 test results
Tuesday, 10 February 2009

Valentino Rossiâ€s Team Manager Davide Brivio says the initial signs are good for the MotoGP World Champion after his early 2009 potential was assessed at Sepang.

Last weekâ€s test visit to Sepang was a good start to the year for Valentino Rossi as he seeks to defend his MotoGP title in 2009, having become premier class World Champion for the sixth time last season.

Having been rushed to hospital in Italy shortly before flying to Malaysia for the first MotoGP test of the year, following a domestic accident which saw him cut his left hand and foot when he fell on a glass table, Rossi registered top three times on all three days at the Kuala Lumpur circuit.

Indeed, despite the discomfort caused by his domestic mishap, Rossiâ€s best time on the final day was just 0.094s behind pace man Casey Stoner, which was good news for Fiat Yamaha Team Manager Davide Brivio as he assessed the package provided by Yamaha and Bridgestone at this early stage of the year.

“We are quite satisfied,” stated Brivio. “Valentino was fast despite his small injuries so for the moment everything is going ok. He is not 100% but he was riding well, not doing too many laps but doing good quality laps, with some precise targets to test parts and set-up. We are on schedule so far but itâ€s just the first test so it is quite early to say anything. We are very prudent but we are smiling for the moment.”

Further reviewing the work undertaken over the three days, Brivio also commented, “It looks like we have made a good start with the new bike. We have found quite a good setting and now we are trying some different things to improve. We have to try to find a good base because we might not have so much time on Friday and Saturdays this year, so we have to adjust as much as possible now to the new Bridgestone tyres.”

Rossi and Lorenzo pleased with test results

The Fiat Yamaha team left Malaysia on Saturday with confidence high, after three productive days of testing.

Factory Yamaha colleagues Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo rounded off the first test of 2009 in good form on Saturday, with Rossi finishing second, less than one tenth off pace-setter Casey Stoner and Lorenzo ending up seventh – the Spaniard inside lap record pace for the first time this week.

World Champion Rossi again focused mainly on electronics on the last day as he continued to fine-tune the 2009 M1 ahead of his title defence. Due to the stitches in his hand and foot he decided not to attempt a race simulation, but he was able to improve on his time from Friday by half a second and recorded a best lap of 2â€01.137.

The Italian star enthused: “I am leaving this place feeling happy, because weâ€ve made a good start. Everything went well: my pain is reducing, the bike is good and I am feeling better and better. We finished everything we wanted to do on the bike and the setting and the rhythm are quite good. The lap time is fast so we have made a good start. We didnâ€t do the long run, but actually we didnâ€t need to. Without my injury maybe it would have been possible, but in this situation we decided to leave it.”

He continued confidently, “I don't think that my injuries made much difference to my speed here and by the Qatar test I will be back in perfect shape. I did the fastest lap today with the hard Bridgestone tyre, so it means that the bike is good. The first test of the year is always difficult, even if you trained a lot in the winter, so I am happy.”

Previewing the next test date at the Losail International Circuit at the beginning of next month Rossi concluded, “Qatar will be interesting, because last year we werenâ€t strong there, but then last year the bike was not yet ready when we went to the first race in Doha. I am really looking forward to the next test there.”

Meanwhile, his team-mate Lorenzo had struggled to find confidence on the first two days of tests, but for the first time on Saturday he found his rhythm with the new Bridgestone tyres. He was delighted to complete a race simulation of 22 laps and his best lap of the day, in a time of 2â€01.907, was over a second quicker than his Friday best.

The youngster from Majorca stated, “I am very happy because today Iâ€ve seen how fast I can ride with the Bridgestone tyres. Today has definitely been the best day for me at this test. We did a long run in hot conditions and I was able to finish 22 laps without stopping. I was tired when I finished but it was incredible; the rhythm was good and my best lap was right at the end, when I did a 2â€01.9. This means that I have improved over a second since yesterday and we have made a big step forward.”

Mixed fortunes for Tech 3 pair in Malaysia
Monday, 09 February 2009

James Toseland had a difficult time at Sepang after a crash on the first day of the test, whereas his team-mate Colin Edwards was in good form on the new Yamaha M1.

The Tech 3 Yamaha team had a mixed time at the first test of 2009 as their two riders debuted the new Yamaha M1 and got further acquainted with Bridgestone tyres. Colin Edwards had three good days in the Malaysian heat but it was a tough time for his colleague James Toseland who suffered a spectacular crash on the first morning at Sepang.

Indeed, the first day of the Sepang visit was only the third day of testing for the Yamaha satellite outfit on Bridgestone tyres, the team having elected to miss the post-2008 season practice at Valencia and undertake just two days of November tests at Jerez just before the winter break.

Perhaps the teamâ€s unfamiliarity with the new Japanese rubber contributed to Toselandâ€s high-speed mishap and his subsequent three days of toil at the wrong end of the timesheets.

The English MotoGP sophomore explained, “Well we were ten laps in and we went onto the harder tyre. Unfortunately I didnâ€t put enough temperature in the left hand side and it high-sided me. But it was at 200 km/h, I went pretty far and I got badly bruised on my arm and legs. Luckily I didnâ€t break anything, but I gave my head a bit of a smash. I havenâ€t been able to concentrate fully at this test, we have still been out there riding but it has been tough.”

“I did the same lap times on all three days after the crash, just trying to understand the new bike, the new chassis and the new engine. There is nothing much I can do until I can get my concentration back and return to full fitness. It is a really physical circuit around here so I just did as many laps as I could.”

More productively for the team, however, Edwards was in fine fettle on the other side of the pit-box, getting through his scheduled workout well ahead of time, enjoying a solid race simulation on the second day and finishing fourth fastest on the final day – just 0.37s off pace-setter Casey Stonerâ€s best time.

Highly pleased with the development of the M1 over the winter, Edwards enthused, “It felt good. The new bike is fantastic and Iâ€m really happy with it. After three days I havenâ€t actually had to do too many laps. I did the race simulation on Friday and tested a few things on Saturday morning with suspension.”

“There is no point just doing lap after lap. We didnâ€t do many laps on the last day but we have done quality laps and I think on all three days we have done good quality laps. It is a different way of testing now that we only have one tyre supplier but I am happy with it.”

Things get complicated for Gibernau in latest MotoGP test
Monday, 09 February 2009

Spanish veteran gives honest appraisal of Sepang visit and electronics adaptation.

Working on the sophisticated electronic package used by the Ducati Desmosedici GP9 Sat machine, Sete Gibernauâ€s three days of testing in Sepang last week left the Spaniard and his team with more questions than answers. The former MotoGP World Championship runner-up was characteristically honest about the situation upon the conclusion of the test, using any setbacks as motivation for the coming months of preseason.

”I donâ€t think today was the best day for us. Even though we have done quite a lot of work on the electronics we havenâ€t been able to get too many answers, because we had a few problems in the afternoon that prevented us from completing as many laps as we would have liked,” revealed Gibernau after recording a quickest time of 2â€02.727 on Saturday.

“In general it has been a positive three days, but things went from better to worse. We did a great job on the first day but the job seemed to get more and more complicated. It is all part of the process for a new team but the potential is there and what we need to do now is keep working hard; there is a long way to go -especially for me.

Gibernau returns to the MotoGP World Championship in 2009 after two seasons in temporary retirement.

Suzuki confident after demonstrating winter improvements
Monday, 09 February 2009

Approaching their second year as Rizla Suzuki colleagues Loris Capirossi and Chris Vermeulen are both happy with the evolution of the GSV-R following some significant updates to the bike.

Having enjoyed a highly positive test at Sepang at the end of last week Loris Capirossi was enthusiastic in his appraisal of the work Suzuki have undertaken on the GSV-R since November.

Going into his twentieth season of Grand Prix competition and preparing for his second campaign with the Rizla Suzuki team the veteran Italian is in great shape and is satisfied with the technical progression his employers are making with their latest prototype.

Capirossi was the fastest rider on the first day of the test and registered top three times on days two and three, helping to lift his confidence after a difficult time in 2008.

“The feeling was really good, my physical condition is at 100%,” stated the 35 year-old. “The bike has improved quite a bit. Suzuki have been working hard to help us. The whole package now is more comfortable because I am starting my second year with the team and everybody is starting to believe 100% in what I need. Of course we have to keep working more to improve but we are already at a good level.”

He continued, “I struggled a lot last year because the bike was a bit too big for me, so I asked for a different seat, with a smaller tank. They have done that and now I am much more comfortable on the bike and that is a big success.”

Capirossiâ€s team-mate Chris Vermeulen was in a similarly positive frame of mind at the conclusion of the Sepang visit having lapped in the top six – and within one second of the quickest rider – on all three days of the test.

The 26 year-old Australian told motogp.com, “We have a lot of new things from Suzuki, the chassis, the engine, the aerodynamics, the swingarm, everything is new. The factory have been working very hard. It seems to be paying off for us because we have gone quite a bit quicker than we have been previously here and we are competitive with the rest of the guys. But it is only the first test and there is still a long way to go. We still have many new parts to try and hopefully we are going to be this competitive when we get to Qatar.”

Explaining his work on the final afternoon Vermeulen added, “I did almost full race simulation distance then I had a small problem with the bike with five laps to go, but it worked quite well. The tyres werenâ€t too bad, they dropped down like normal, Iâ€d say similar to last year, so that is good news for everyone. We all have the same tyres and they are working very well.”

Benson: `New blood´ Dovizioso has top three potential

Repsol Honda Chief Mechanic ready for new challenge with Italian star.

A man behind the scenes in the successful careers of MotoGP title winners Mick Doohan, Valentino Rossi and Nicky Hayden, Pete Benson knows a talented rider when he sees one. The New Zealander has seen longtime collaborator Hayden –for whom he was the Chief Mechanic in a World Championship winning 2006 season- move along the paddock to Ducati Marlboroâ€s garage for this season, but is talking highly of the Americanâ€s replacement in the Repsol Honda ranks. Benson has even gone so far as talk up the possibility of a top three finish for new boy Andrea Dovizioso in 2009.

”Of course, everybody wants to win, but looking at the year realistically it will be difficult for Andrea to do that in his first year with the team,” said Benson at last weekâ€s Sepang test. “However, Iâ€d be disappointed if we were outside the top five, and Iâ€d love a top three finish from him; heâ€s certainly proved that he has the potential.”

Sad to see Hayden leave at the end of last season, Benson is looking forward to working with one of the next generation of MotoGP talent in his latest challenge for Honda. The Sepang visit was another important step forward for one of the most crucial dynamics in the World Championship, as the team gelled further whilst preparing the RC212V bike.

”Itâ€s really different to have a new guy with us; the last rider we had for a long time. Having new blood is interesting, and weâ€re just trying to understand each other and get things in the right direction at the moment,” adds the paddock veteran.

”The bike itself hasnâ€t changed much with the chassis, but there is still some stuff to try. The engine improvements have been good, but now weâ€ve just got to focus on getting everything working with Bridgestone tyres. Once we get the bike set up for the tyres it will be easier because there are less variables this year.”

Dovizioso was the only Repsol Honda rider in action on Saturday, as his teammate Dani Pedrosa had left Malaysia early due to lack of fitness. Injuries to Pedrosa have in the past put a great deal of the onus of developing Hondaâ€s 800cc bikes on Bensonâ€s side of the garage.

Catalunya Circuit undergoes preseason check-up

Changes made on the suggestion of the FIM reviewed at Spanish track.

Modifications made to the Circuit de Catalunya near Barcelona, traditionally home to the Catalonian round of the MotoGP World Championship, were assessed last week by FIM Safety Officer Claude Danis.

Work was carried out on the track from December 2008 to January 2009, based on suggestions put forward by the FIM following last yearâ€s Gran Premi de Catalunya. Danis inspected the changes alongside Carles Fradera and Vicenc Nubiola - Maintenance and Sporting Directors, respectively of the circuit. Danis later discussed his findings with Circuit de Catalunya Director General Ramon Praderas.

Details of the track and facility modifications will be made public in a guided press tour at the beginning of March.

The Circuit de Catalunya this season celebrates 20 years since the laying of the first foundation stone, and last week also saw the seven previous Directors - including current Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta - meet at a commemorative event.

Elias ends Sepang test on a high
Monday, 09 February 2009

Spaniard finishes Malaysian test as fastest Honda rider

On his first ride with the factory spec Honda RC212V at Sepang last week, Toni Elias went some way towards justifying the Japanese factoryâ€s decision to provide him with the full-power 2009 prototype by recording the fastest time of any Honda rider.

The Spaniard finished the three-day visit to Malaysia with a quickest lap of 2â€01.560, just over half a second slower than timesheet topper Casey Stoner and four-tenths of a second speedier than Repsol Honda man Andrea Dovizioso –the only man on equal machinery to Elias after the early departure of Dani Pedrosa.

The returning San Carlo Honda Gresini man was fifth fastest over the course of the test, and was delighted with the result.

”Iâ€m very happy as we improved day-by-day. We started work on a completely new machine and the feeling was good since the very first day,” he commented. “We still have to do lot of runs on track, but the direction we are working in is good. Itâ€s also a nice atmosphere in the garage; weâ€re really a great team”.

It wasnâ€t only Elias who left Asia pleased with the first encounter with the new machine; Team Manager Fausto Gresini had also been eager to see how his charge would get on with the arrival of the prototype.

“I'm definitively happy. It has been a very positive test, thanks to the hard work of the team and the good material prepared by HRC,” said Gresini, whose teams have traditionally received some of the strongest Honda backing on the premier class grid.

“I couldn't wait to see the new RC212V on track and at the end I was very excited to see that day by day our lap time was faster and faster and the gap from the first riders always smaller.”

Riding the 2009 satellite machine, second San Carlo Honda Gresini rider Alex de Angelis clocked the eleventh quickest lap of the Malaysian test.
Another good read mate!!!!Pi_thumbsup
Woman,where's my wallet?
And whats for tea?
Hey Gassick are you just hungry for some info so just for you mate some general stuff..

Schwantz keeps sharp with New Zealand race victories
Wednesday, 11 February 2009

MotoGP Legend turns weekend warrior at motorcycle festival.

A MotoGP Legend was back in the saddle this past weekend, as former World Champion Kevin Schwantz took a star turn at the 30th Pukekohe Classic Festival in New Zealand.

The American, best known for his title win onboard a Suzuki in 1993, swung his leg over a Manx Norton bike at the Pukehohe Raceway circuit, both track and machine firsts in Schwantz†decorated career.

One thing did remain true to the script, however; Schwantz, using the number 34 plate permanently on his bike throughout his time in the World Championship, took a clean sweep of the six races that he entered over the weekend.

Previous famous faces from MotoGP history to make appearances at the festival include Giacomo Agostini, Umberto Masetti, John Surtees and Geoff Duke, but Guest of Honour Schwantz is the first former titlist to actually compete as part of proceedings.

Poncharal typically enthusiastic about first findings of 2009

Tech 3 Yamaha boss Herve Poncharal was his usual happy self after a satisfactory first test for his team with the new Yamaha M1 last weekend.

Having finished fourth in the Teams†World Championship standings last season, as the top performing independent outfit in MotoGP, Tech 3 Yamaha manager Herve Poncharal is looking for more success this year and was pleased with the initial findings with the new M1 prototype in Malaysia.

Colin Edwards and James Toseland tried the updated machine for the first time at Sepang, Edwards registering some highly competitive lap times right from the word go. Toseland was slowed down by the physical after-effects of a heavy crash on the first morning, but can be expected to pick up the pace next time out at Qatar under the floodlights from 1st-3rd March.

Reflecting on his teamâ€s first steps with the new machine Poncharal commented, “Already in 2008 we were very happy with the bike that we had. My main worry was ‘how can Yamaha make a better bike?â€, because it was already very competitive. The first test that we have had here in Sepang shows us that in a lot of areas the bike has improved. We have a stronger engine, the chassis feels really good. It is definitely an improvement on last year.”

The Frenchman was also happy at the way his staff interacted with new suppliers Bridgestone and believes his riders are adapting quickly to the Japanese companyâ€s new aterial. “We are also very happy with the tyres,” Poncharal explained. “We did some race simulations and the riders couldnâ€t believe how stable and confident they were on the tyres.”

He added, “Some other riders have had more problems to understand the new Bridgestone tyres compared to the specifications they had last year. But for us we are really happy and the switch has been really easy. I think the decision was the best one and we think the new tyre rule will help all of us, especially independent teams like us to be closer to the factory teams and to make the show better. So far Iâ€m a happy man.”

Romagnoli basing Yamaha M1 potential on Rossi & Edwards†Sepang times

Jorge Lorenzoâ€s Team Manager sees times from Italian and American as positive sign.

Fiat Yamaha rider Jorge Lorenzo was lower down the timesheet than might have been expected at last weekâ€s test in Sepang, but results from two other Yamaha stars have convinced his Team Manager that the Japanese factoryâ€s 2009 bike is a potential title-winning machine.

Daniele Romagnoli has been one of the key men behind Lorenzoâ€s adaptation to 800cc riding, and was supervising his chargeâ€s first encounter with the full factory M1 over the course of the three-day stay in Malaysia. Lorenzo finished seventh in the combined standings from the trio of sessions, but the times clocked by his teammate Valentino Rossi and Colin Edwards proved convincing for Romagnoli.

“Valentino and Colin showed that the bike is good and that it can do very good times,” said the Italian. “I think that this is positive, and that the machine can be competitive this year.”

As for Lorenzoâ€s being eight-tenths of a second down on Rossi and half a second on Edwards, Romagnoli was pragmatic in his analysis.

“Jorge had a little problem getting a good lap time from the beginning of the test. He just needs more time to adapt.”

Lorenzoâ€s fastest time of 2â€01.917 came on the last lap of his Saturday race simulation.

Melandri to race at Losail… in Speedcar

Italian keeps busy with participation in four-wheel Qatari night race.

A man currently in professional limbo, former MotoGP World Championship runner-up Marco Melandri has guaranteed that his latest on-track participation will come in an evening race at the Losail Circuit in Qatar. However, rather than the MotoGP season-opening Commercialbank Grand Prix of Qatar, the Italianâ€s appearance will be part of the 2009 Speedcar Series on February 12th-14th.

Melandri will form part of the Team Lavaggi squad for his first car race since 2006, accompanying erstwhile Formula 1 star Heinz Harald Frentzen. The two will compete against each other and a further twelve drivers in the Speedcar Series†first ever night event.

Household names taking to the track this week will be ex-Formula 1 drivers Jacques Villeneuve -World Champion in 1997-, Johnny Herbert and Jean Alesi, whilst Melandri will be the only two-wheel star turning his hand to car racing for the event.

Melandri is still waiting on news of possible participation in the 2009 MotoGP World Championship following Kawasakiâ€s announcing their intention to withdraw from the series.

Oh and the last piece of info for you is the next official round of testing is at Losail, Qatar and there will also be some official night testing so that could be interesting.

So til next time Rev004
No Kawasaki this year - did I miss something ??? Confused
Rev004, I don't know how old you are mate but Kevin Scwantz was a king of late breaking and he had a knack of entering and exiting corners on very abnormal lines. It was a shame that he was against Doohan, Rainey and Creville and he was on a not so good Suzuki that he had to ring it's neck to get results out of it!!!!!
Keep the goss happening mate, I love reading it!
Woman,where's my wallet?
And whats for tea?
Gassick Wrote:
Rev004 Wrote:Talking about Rossi what's everyones thoughts on his offer to Troy Bayliss to take him on in a challenge at one of the rounds.

Yamaha and apparently Ducati have both said that they would have a works bike ready for both if Bayliss is to except, only issue is that Bayliss wants 2m to come out of retirement...

Bayliss made a fool of the MotoGp boys on his last wildcard ride but hey that was only one race. Still would be good to see.

I think it would be great! Regardless the result, you would see 2 current world champions going head to head in a dual that primarily both would like to win but I'm sure we would see 2 blokes having a ball playing on bikes!!!!

Bayliss would get his arse kicked by rossi , but i wouldn't mind having my arse kicked for 2 million buck's.

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
Kawasaki have axed their racing team due to the financial crisis, bit unlucky for the riders hey.
Greeny_SA Wrote:Bayliss would get his arse kicked by rossi

I'm not so sure.

Valencia 2006... Having just won WSBK for the year, Bayliss replaced the injured Sete Gibernau in MotoGP. From turn 1 he proved much faster than the entire MotoGP field and took the race win.

Rossi choked and binned it that race, which handed the world championship to Hayden. Trophy
Licence Back!
Well Gassick My 1st trip across the our wonderful country to Eastern Creek all those years ago I managed to see the man himself race so yes I was watching and following the GP rounds when the guys like schwantz were racing. I saw Schwantz put the Suzzi down at the end of the main straight at 300+ and then when he finished sliding down the black stuff he just picked himself back up and ran back to the pits and within 5 mins was back on the track. Oh and that was the year Doohan won by over 13 seconds but there was an awesome crash on turn 2 in the 250 class..

Now wouldn't that make for an interesting race - Doohan, Schwantz, Gardner, Lawson, Beatie, if he could still Ride Rainey on the new 4 stroke machines. I remember reading an artical when Doohan test rode the 990 when they had a season there under belt with the bike and Doohan was running around in times good enough to put him on the front row within 10 laps. He also made comment about how easy the 4 stroke wa to ride than the might 500...

Hey Greeny_SA I'm not sure that Rossi would Kick Bayliss Arse I think it might be a little closer than people think. The only thing Rossi will have on his side is he is still racing and fit and Bayliss has retired as we all know and won't be race fit but hey what a race and reckon Bayliss can taken him.....

Anyway some more info

Rossiâ€s Laguna manoeuvre scoops American honour
Thursday, 12 February 2009

Pass on Casey Stoner voted ‘Best Move†of 2008 in online poll.

It probably doesnâ€t rank too highly on Casey Stonerâ€s list of magic manoeuvres from 2008, but Valentino Rossiâ€s overtaking move on the Australian at the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix has been continually cited as the best of its kind from the past season.

The hard pass on the descending ‘Corkscrew†section of the Laguna Seca track was brought back into the spotlight this week with the announcement of the Third Annual SPEED Performance Awards winners, taking one of the nine trophies on offer in the category of ‘Best Moveâ€. Rossi received the most votes from nearly 120,000 fans to take the honour.

The accompanying video reviews the stateside clash between Rossi and Stoner, including the jaw-dropping pass that the Italian himself regards as the turning point of 2008.

Rossi gains Monster sponsorship for 2009

Fiat Yamaha rider agrees to place energy drink logo on helmet for upcoming season.

MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossi has been announced as the latest sportsman to associate themselves with energy drink Monster, and will ride with the companyâ€s ‘M-claw†logo on his helmet in 2009.

Monster have pinpointed Rossi as a means of further raising the profile of the United States†No.1 by-volume sales energy drink on a worldwide level, and the Italian was pleased to come to an agreement with them.

“Iâ€m happy to join up with Monster Energy and to be one of the first European sportsman testimonials for this new brand,” says Rossi. “Monster is growing all over the world and I am very excited to be joining them. I think that together we can make something special and the M-claw is going to look good on my new helmet!”

Monster Energy President Mark Hall adds: “Going Big has been our motto at Monster Energy for some time and aligning ourselves with Valentino Rossi is about as big as it gets in motorsports,” said Mark Hall, President of Monster Energy. “We feel that Valentino is one of those rare athletes that not only defines his sport, he actually transcends it.”

Rossiâ€s helmet designs attract attention throughout the sports media, and will now incorporate the Monster logo in addition to whatever new ideas the six-time MotoGP World Champion comes up with over the course of the year.

Canepa: “Capirossi told me to follow him”

MotoGP rookie receives on-track guidance from experienced rival.

The youngest rider on the MotoGP grid was lent a helping hand by the oldest at the first test of 2009, as premier class rookie Niccolo Canepa received some helpful hints from veteran Loris Capirossi. Struggling to lower his times on the final day of riding in Sepang, Canepa found a willing guide to the Malaysian track in the form of his fellow Italian.

“I was looking around to see who could help me to ride faster, and Loris has always been the most generous in this way. He signaled to me to ride behind him, and it was a great help,” says the debutant, who rides for Pramac Racing this year after a season testing with Ducati.

Although familiar with the Desmosedici bike, this preseason is Canepaâ€s first adapting the machine to his riding style. He regards his experiences as a mixed blessing, leaving him fairly green in a few aspects of MotoGP competition.

“Last year I didnâ€t test for many technical solutions, because my work was centred around tyres. The test in Sepang has given me the chance to get more experience and put more miles in with the bike,” he explains.

“Although I was a test rider, I was still riding for my own benefit. I knew that if my times were good enough then I would be rewarded… and now Iâ€m in MotoGP. Without forgetting that I was there to help Ducati and the factory team riders, I was more of a rider than a tester.”

Takahashi “needs more time”

Japanese rookie feels progress being made after first test of 2009.

MotoGP Rookie Yuki Takahashi has a large learning process ahead of him to adjust to premier class riding -the horsepower at his disposal doubled and the competition even fiercer than what he has experienced in 250cc. The adaptation continued in Sepang last week, and the Japanese rider felt that steady progress was made at the Malaysian track.

Takahashi was fourteenth fastest over the course of the three-days in Asia, with a quickest time of 2â€03.474. Riding the Scot Racing Honda, the 800cc newcomer was pleased with the steady steps forward taken with his new bike.

“It was really hard, but I tried to make the most of as much time as possible to get more confident with the Honda,” said Takahashi of the hot and humid test. “We have done a very good job and Iâ€m beginning to have a quite clear idea how to set up this bike, even if I need more time to reach the real limits.”

The 24 year-old will compete in his first premier class race at this yearâ€s season-opener in Qatar. Data from the Sepang test will be evaluated over the next month in preparation for a night test at the Losail Circuit, which takes place on March 1st-3rd.
[b]Edwards revels in testing superiority over Toseland
Friday, 13 February 2009[/b]

‘Texas Tornado†reveals Sepang delight in Indianapolis event blog.

“Itâ€s so funny how we donâ€t talk anymore”

Not a reference to a late 1970â€s break-up song, but an admission from Tech 3 Yamahaâ€s Colin Edwards that relations have somewhat soured between himself and teammate James Toseland. The statement was made in the Texanâ€s new ‘Tornado Warning†blog on the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix website. A switch of Crew Chiefs has driven a wedge between the two riders but, as in the song, Edwards isnâ€t losing any sleep over the matter.

“Heâ€s not on the Christmas card list whatsoever. It's funny. We don't talk anymore after this little incident,” revealed Edwards on the rift between himself and his Yamaha satellite colleague. Both riders†opinions on the changes in the garage have been well documented, but the recent Sepang test has left Edwards even more outspoken and with more than a touch of schadenfreude.

“We looked good in front of him, (Toseland) being 2 ½ seconds off the pace. That was good times. You should hear some of the comments being made. He got the Crew Chief he wanted. That was going to make all the difference in the world, and we just sit and laugh. We have a good time,” writes the 34 year-old, who was altogether more positive about his partnership with new Crew Chief Guy Coulon.

“He's got so much experience. I think he's been doing it since early 70s. I'm really happy. I don't have to stroke ego like I did last year. Everybody's just so relaxed, just happy to be riding motorcycles.”

Edwards has always been a strong tester, and the American is excited about the package used thus far in preseason. Having admitted to losing his way with excessive tinkering in 2008, ‘back to basics†will be the key philosophy for the veteran this year.

“We changed a couple of things (at Sepang), but you could jump back on the first bike I started with, and you could hardly be able to tell the difference. 2002, my last year in World Superbike, we had a bike like this. We pulled it out, and we went through a whole bunch of stuff the first test. But then we pretty much kept it the whole year. I don't think we really changed much. A click here, a click there… and I won the title.”

Fonsi Nieto planning happy days in Moto2
Friday, 13 February 2009

Spaniard dedicating year to preparing for new Grand Prix class

Former 250cc World Championship runner-up Fonsi Nieto has given further weight to the future Moto2 category, with the announcement that he is dedicating his immediate future to preparing a title challenge in the class. The Spaniard has signed with the Lâ€Oreal LaGlisse team to test their 600cc bike, and possibly ride it in the 2009 CEV Spanish Championship.

Testing with a machine produced in Eskil Sutterâ€s Swiss workshop, Nieto is likely to have his first on-track encounter with the four-stroke at the Jarama circuit in Madrid. The intention will be to verify the functionality of the bike. A public test in Valencia will follow.

Lâ€Oreal LaGlisse Principal Jaime Fernandez-Aviles expressed his delight with the addition of Nieto to his team to MotoGP.com, stating that “Fonsi is a very strong rider and will be fundamental to the development of our bike, and we arenâ€t ruling out the idea of running him in the entire CEV season this year.”

Nieto has been racing in superbike competition since 2005, in addition to a ride with Kawasaki in the 2007 French Grand Prix as a stand-in for Olivier Jacque. His intention will now be to become the first ever Moto2 World Champion when the new class is introduced.

Moriwaki racer ready for riding
Friday, 13 February 2009

Japanese engineering firm continue development of Moto2 bike

The first company to publically announce an interest in participating in the Moto2 class, Moriwaki Engineering are putting the finishing touches to a prototype machine for use in the upcoming series.

The Japanese company have designed an original chassis for the four-stroke 600cc Honda CBR600RR engine chosen for the new bike, and have run shakedown tests with an early edition. Whilst the Moto2 regulations will only come into effect in the 2011 season, Moriwaki are intending to put their project through its paces in further tests and entry in All Japan Championship competition.

A statement from the company announced that:

“Moriwaki are very excited about having this new World GP class that allows us to race our original racing machine with all Moriwakiâ€s engineering capabilities. There is a tendency in the industry towards transferring from 2-stroke to 4-stroke and it provides an opportunity. Taking this opportunity, Moriwaki is very happy and looking forward to competing with all other original machines, with ideas and engineering manufactured by constructors from different parts of the world.”

Moriwaki last ran a Grand Prix effort in 2005, with Tohru Ukawa and Naoki Matsudo riding 990cc machinenry –again based on a Honda engine- at Motegi and Ukawa making a solo appearance in Shanghai. Other riders to compete for the company include Olivier Jacque and Andrew Pitt.