FYI if you are having this issue
=========================================

MOTORCYCLE DIVISION 4-STROKE
BULLETIN GS/GSX/GSX-R NO. 199
DATE: 4/6/2009

SUBJECT:
ABNORMAL CLUTCH NOISE

AFFECTED UNITS: ALL GSX1300RK8, ALL GSX1300BKK8, AND
CERTAIN GSX1300RK9 MODELS (See Affected Units on Page 2)

REFERENCE:
GSX1300R SERVICE MANUAL (P/N 99500-39350-03E)
GSX1300BK SERVICE MANUAL (P/N 99500-39321-03E)

Suzuki has received field reports of a light metallic "ticking" noise coming from the clutch
cover area on the right side of GSX1300RK8-K9 and GSX1300BKK8 model motorcycles. The
noise is most distinguishable when the engine is running at idle speed. The noise occurs when
a clutch spring support bolt 1 loosens from the clutch cam 2and allows the head of a clutch
spring bolt to come in contact with the clutch cover during engine operation. Typically, when
found on retail units this condition occurs at lower mileages.

Suzuki requires that the following procedure be completed on:
z
All new units prior to retail delivery
z
Retail units exhibiting the noise described above.

Clean the threads of the clutch spring support 1 G
bolts 1 and clutch cam 2. Apply thread lock
to the clutch spring support bolts and tighten
them to the specified torque. Install the
clutch cover using a new gasket and tighten
the cover bolts to the specified torque.

....: Thread lock cement 99000-32030
(Thread Lock Cement Super 1303 or
equivalent)

....Clutch Spring Support Bolts 23 N.m

(2.3 kgf-m, 16.5 lb-ft)
....Clutch Spring Bolts 10 N.m (1.0 kgf-m,

7.0 lb-ft)
....Clutch Cover Bolts 10 N.m (1.0 kgf-m,

7.0 lb-ft)
- 1/2

Affected Units

Model Specification Range
GSX1300RK8 ALL ALL
GSX1300BKK8 ALL ALL
GSX1300RK9 E-03 JS1GX72A*92102653 and before
GSX1300RK9 E-33 JS1GX72A*92104270 and before

Warranty Information
Warranty claims will be accepted for new units and retail units within the original warranty
period. Use the following information to submit a regular warranty claim:

Causal Part 21481-24F30
Complaint Code 26
Defect Code 48
Labor Operation GA9999
Labor Time 1.0 hrs
We have had a few of those here in OZ as well.
Anyone having clutch or gear selection issues should get their bike checked and take a copy of PANs post with them to the dealer.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
I am one of the owners whose K8 clutch came loose. Happened at about 6000kms and had to be fixed by the dealership. The noise was only audible when the clutch was fully dis-engaged (open), and surprisingly could only be heard when the engine was cool/cold.Confused

The dealership I went to was reluctant to take the covers off to investigate because Suzuki would not cover the cost of the investigation if no problems were found. I insisted on them opening it up because I was certain they would find something wrong. I was told that it was fortunate that I had identified the problem before it started to cause damage. Everything was re-installed with loctite and so far so good. I've done another 3000kms since then.

Like Busgo said, if anyone suspects a problem with their bike take it to a dealer with a copy of this post. Don't let the dealers convince you the clutch is "meant to be noisy" or "it's the oil your using".

I'm glad Suzuki has acknowledged there is a problem and are addressing it.
If it's too loud....You're too old!
If it's too fast....You're too old!
If it's too sexy....You're ???
Talk about great timing. Only yesterday I booked my K8 in for its 6000Km service for friday and described this exact thing to the mechanic at the shop. I suggested this as the potential problem I have experienced after reading posts on here, Busanation and hayabusa.org - he was doubtful as he hadn't heard anything to support it.

Thanks Pan, greatly appreciated.
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
You guys are surprised they deny anything thats potentially work these days?? I had that problem at 14,000km after a all weekend ride and noticed it when I was cruisong between traffic when I got back into Sydney, took the clutch cover off, sure enuff the bolt heads had already started grinding the cover away - tighten up and 10000ks on still good - wouldnt even bother with the dealer its such an easy fix (15mins)
Egos; everyone got one
I think I'll stick this up the top for a while.
Regards BUSGO
busakid08 Wrote:You guys are surprised they deny anything thats potentially work these days?? I had that problem at 14,000km after a all weekend ride and noticed it when I was cruisong between traffic when I got back into Sydney, took the clutch cover off, sure enuff the bolt heads had already started grinding the cover away - tighten up and 10000ks on still good - wouldnt even bother with the dealer its such an easy fix (15mins)

BK, glad to see you were able to fix this yourself, majority of owners would I imagine. I think it is still important however to inform Suzuki and supply pics if possible of these kinds of issues so they get noticed & recorded. The more people that report issues the easier it is to get Suzuki to respond & take ownership.
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Hmmm, interesting. I just had a listen to mine and, to be honest, I am not sure if it's doing it or not! I'm hearing what I assume to be clutch movement and the sound is constant and dosent change if the clutch is pulled in or not (in neutral).

I assume the ticking noise, if it occurs, is very noticeable over the usual clutch noise? Does the ticking noise change with revs/engine speed?

Cheers!

And thanks to Pan for the post!
I heard Garbo's bike when it was doing it and you can certainly tell if there is a problem.
The clutch sounds a bit like it belongs on a ducati when idling but that was when the threads were really loose. Some may not sound so bad.
Regards BUSGO
Thanks for the sticky Busgo - good call.

I'm going to check this out myself on the weekend (easier than taking it to the shop). I've often wondered if mine has this issue. Probably doesn't though. Just a good excuse to tinker.
Licence Back!
Fark, I'd know if it sounded like a Ducati...I can't stand that sound....

Sound's like mines ok then, although when I take the fairings off I'll have a look then!

Cheers for the help!
From tempozzy's post -
"I'm glad Suzuki has acknowledged there is a problem and are addressing it".

Well, not in Australia as yet - I have just got off the phone to Rob Nowak from Suzuki Australia in regards to this service bulletin. Rob informed me that he has no knowledge of this issue as I am the fiirst person to bring it to his attention (really?) - hence Suzuki Australia has no plans to issue a service bulletin for this problem. I offered to email Rob the service bulletin Pan posted and the link to this thread and others from the US and Singapore. Rob declined my offer.

Please, if you have had this problem or think you may have this problem call
(03) 9931 0500 and ask to be put through to Rob Nowak.

Cheers
Troy
Photobucket

Leviathan Wrote:From tempozzy's post -
"I'm glad Suzuki has acknowledged there is a problem and are addressing it".

Well, not in Australia as yet - I have just got off the phone to Rob Nowak from Suzuki Australia in regards to this service bulletin. Rob informed me that he has no knowledge of this issue as I am the fiirst person to bring it to his attention (really?) - hence Suzuki Australia has no plans to issue a service bulletin for this problem. I offered to email Rob the service bulletin Pan posted and the link to this thread and others from the US and Singapore. Rob declined my offer.

Please, if you have had this problem or think you may have this problem call
(03) 9931 0500 and ask to be put through to Rob Nowak.

Cheers
Troy

Sorry to hear that Troy. This response from Suzuki doesn't surprise me based on my own and others experiences with them.

I hope you've managed to get some support from your mechanic at least to get it checked out. Kessner Suzuki in Adelaide did the repair on my bike. I'm sure their service manager will remember my bike if you need some support on the issue.

Good luck to anyone affected.

Tim.
If it's too loud....You're too old!
If it's too fast....You're too old!
If it's too sexy....You're ???
Well... I didn't get around to getting fresh oil so I didn't bother doing a pre-emptive check.

Murphy's Law - I had the problem in a very noisy way today. After deciding to forfeit the remainder of my track day (about $90 worth) I went down to my friendly dealership.

They listened to my concerns and offered help. NOT

They denied all knowledge and refused my offer to even have a listen to the noise.

So I took it home and fixed it myself.

In the below video, you'll see that only one bolt was even hand tight (top one). Had it come loose, there would probably be wear on the bolts from rubbing in the case.

Next bike: K1300S?
Licence Back!
I hope you pulled them out and put loktite on them Tim.

(Both the bolts and the mechanic)
Regards BUSGO