Afetrmarket Cans
Has anyone had any problems with the boys in blue for fitting aftermarket pipes on their bike? I had an Omrae carbon fibre can on my VFR750 and a copper told me he could book me for it because it didn't have any stationary noise test tags on it. He said the bike was louder than was legally allowed. I then asked him if his ears were an approved testing mechanism for noise pollution (which didn't go down too well with him) but he then backed off because he knew it wouldn't stand up in court if I challenged a fine.Showback
(06-07-2009, 10:00am)CJ03 Wrote: I then asked him if his ears were an approved testing mechanism for noise pollution (which didn't go down too well with him) Scary
Lol2
(06-07-2009, 11:15am)bgaheer Wrote:
(06-07-2009, 10:00am)CJ03 Wrote: I then asked him if his ears were an approved testing mechanism for noise pollution (which didn't go down too well with him) Scary
Lol2

Right on man! F***EN PRICKS...
same thing happened to me sitting at the lights. after following me for a few secs...
while he was talking, a Harley went past... "are you telling me that his exhaust, is not as loud as mine???"...
he let me go after doing the usual checks...

i must be a cop magnet.
GenII Hunter Knuppel2
i think noise can be a safety feature on a bike so cars can actually hear you!!
CJ03, not knowing what state you are from makes it hard to give comment. However, as a general rule, the sound rating sticker is usually attached to the bike itself. having said that, in most states, it is an offence to modify a silencing device, or ride or drive a vehicle with a modified silencing device. This definition can include fitting an aftermarket set of cans that may, or may not comply with the manufactuers specs. It would not be a hard stretch to get a magistrate to see it that way.
Cheers,
Terry
(06-07-2009, 09:58pm)Diablo Wrote: CJ03, not knowing what state you are from makes it hard to give comment. However, as a general rule, the sound rating sticker is usually attached to the bike itself. having said that, in most states, it is an offence to modify a silencing device, or ride or drive a vehicle with a modified silencing device. This definition can include fitting an aftermarket set of cans that may, or may not comply with the manufactuers specs. It would not be a hard stretch to get a magistrate to see it that way.
You are right...Clap. .partially. I am in NSW and the sticker you speak of (stationary noise test blah blah blah) has an identification number on it (my bike...as I'm sure for all Busas made in '03) is 24FO. If this ID number is not stamped on your can/s, the police Police effectively can book you for it. I had an hour long chat about this very subject with Ken Wootton (former editor of AMCN) at Eastern Creek a while ago.