Clutch Drama's
Hello all. I am pretty new to drag racing and have a question regarding the clutch. I am running stock plates and springs but have welded the BTL. The bike is very hard to launch as the clutch grabs quickly and then seems to slip at high revs. I removed the plates and they are not worn or warped, just a few small black marks on the steel plates which i have removed with wet and dry paper on a sheet of glass. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
U got the spacers fitted in under the springs.
Later model clutch also has a cone shaped metal spring and larger id firbre, Brock sells it as a clutch cushuion to help with takeup.
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"
(09-08-2009, 05:15pm)Gnarbunkle99 Wrote: U got the spacers fitted in under the springs.
Later model clutch also has a cone shaped metal spring and larger id firbre, Brock sells it as a clutch cushuion to help with takeup.

Haven't got any spacers under the springs. Do the 99 model busa's have them? Have noticed thicker fibre plates as the 1st and last ones.
Get some 4mm spacers made to fit under the springs or get cynide racing (abusa) to get you some ape hd springs.

The buy product from a btl mod is the springs dont have enough tension to operate properly.

As for grabing, do you have a stock clutch lever? If not I would start with one first.

Leonard.
(09-08-2009, 05:27pm)463046 Wrote:
(09-08-2009, 05:15pm)Gnarbunkle99 Wrote: U got the spacers fitted in under the springs.

Haven't got any spacers under the springs. Do the 99 model busa's have them? Have noticed thicker fibre plates as the 1st and last ones.

Do you have the later model slip ring & 1ST Small small clutch fiber, if not you need to change it
(09-08-2009, 06:10pm)Legend Wrote: Get some 4mm spacers made to fit under the springs or get cynide racing (abusa) to get you some ape hd springs.

The buy product from a btl mod is the springs dont have enough tension to operate properly.

As for grabing, do you have a stock clutch lever? If not I would start with one first.

Leonard.
No worries I will call cyanide racing and order some springs. Yes I do run a stock clutch lever. Thank you for your help Very Happy
(09-08-2009, 07:34pm)simmo Wrote:
(09-08-2009, 05:27pm)463046 Wrote:

Do you have the later model slip ring & 1ST Small small clutch fiber, if not you need to change it

Not sure. The first and last fibre plates have a number on them with A4 at the end. All other fibre plates have A2 on them.
(09-08-2009, 07:30pm)ohdear Wrote: When you say YOU have welded the BTL ? Did you jig it and make sure it was central ? Have seen a few way of centre >>>>>>>>> makes for an interesting clutch "feel"

No worries there it is dead centre. I have been able to get good starts by slipping the clutch a little but since I done the mod it has all gone up to shit.
On the 1st fiber it should have a metal slip ring on the inside of it, when I say the 1st one I mean the one closest to the middle of the motor.
if not thats your problem, you need to check out say a 2001 or newer clutch set up to be sure
Using the later model clutch plates will help.......but only once you get a handle on what you've already got!

Where abouts are you?

Leonard.
(09-08-2009, 07:50pm)Legend Wrote: Using the later model clutch plates will help.......but only once you get a handle on what you've already got!

Where abouts are you?

Leonard.

Cairns Nth Qld. Great roads for riding but the closest strip is about 4 hours away in Townsville so its hard to practice any changes I make.
mate ive had heaps of clutch dramas in the past one was the welded btl must have been of centre and clutch was draging. ape springs are like valve springs and have no feel i brought a set but they are shit. if ya got some cash put a brocks cushion kit in it they come with springs and buy a billet centre for it.
We've had good results with ape lately, Shane will fill you in on what type we used as there are a couple of differences.
(09-08-2009, 08:34pm)Legend Wrote: We've had good results with ape lately, Shane will fill you in on what type we used as there are a couple of differences.

Thank you very much. We have our annual all bike meet in 2 weeks. Will let you know how it went.
Steve
ive had the brock clutch mod with billet hub for a few years now.I find its pretty good provided you use the correct stack height.when things are working right,1.5 60ft at stock length are realistic.Its a pretty heavy lever but feel is pretty good.
(09-08-2009, 09:00pm)spamanglenn Wrote: ive had the brock clutch mod with billet hub for a few years now.I find its pretty good provided you use the correct stack height.when things are working right,1.5 60ft at stock length are realistic.Its a pretty heavy lever but feel is pretty good.

1.5 60ft are realistic with a welded btl and spacers! 1.42 with 3" over.
But like Steve says, hes only starting out so I'd rather give him the advise he needs to get going in the right direction rather than sell him a 600hp turbo system and let him loose.Coolsmiley