Newbie - things to look for
Hi Mark, Welcome

I'd always been a honda man and had many bikes over the years, test rode the Blackbird, but bought the 'busa 10 years ago because it was . . . different.
After 100,000km doesn't miss a beat, still gets an absolute caining, and still brings a stupid grin to my face everytime I twist the throttle.

Of course, this probably wont happen to you . . . unless you buy a copper oneBump
Really, what Busgo said earlier is the best advice.
Pick up a low km Gen 2 ('08 or '09) if not buying new.
Ten years newer technology for only a couple of grand more.

You certainly wont regret a 'busa.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
One other thing that pops up (but very rarely) is an issue with 2nd gear.

In respect of brakes... spaman wrote that the brakes need to be upgraded - that is from the perspective of someone who has the skills, experience and the inclination to ride the bike at 10/10ths. I can see that if regularly taxed at those kind of velocities the upgrade is a 'must have'. There are many riders here that reach that grade... Kawasuki, Blackzook and Madmax are just three that come to mind. We're not all up to their standard.... in my case... not even close.

So from an 'average' riders perspective, I've never had reason to complain about the standard brakes. If you're up in the higher echelons in regards to skills and riding temperament... then possibly the brakes might need an upgrade. As a guide (having ridden a Blackbird)... I'd say if you were happy with the standard brakes on that... you'll be more than happy with the standard 'busa brakes.

Also remember that we have a lot of members here who are vendors - so finding parts and upgrade kits at club discount prices is never a problem.

The last thing I'll mention is 'after-sales support' - not from the dealer... but from this forum. In this thread alone you've had a taste of how members here help and support each other. This is a great forum - and it's been going for very nearly 10 years. You'll never experience a problem that someone here hasn't already solved. And there are always many willing helpers if you ever need them.

I'll shut up now.
Ive owned 76 bikes and 1 busa twice its got 13000ks on it its still going like new.
If you recently divorced your wife (which you havent) then youd go for the Ducati 1098, coz its showy and selfish.

If you get a ZX12 you will enjoy it for 3-6 months then wonder if you really made the right choice. Not long after that you will realise you did make the wrong choice and will seek to offload the 12 only to see the market flooded with them and few takers for yours or at a greater loss then you anticipated.

So theres only the Busa left and it will definately be the right choice. Why? coz most owners keep them long term unlike most other bikes. So you have to ask yourself "Why's that" but then you know the answer already.

I reckon the only choice you really have is between Gen1 and Gen2, depending on your budget. Gen1 99-01 if you want a frakkin beast. Gen1 02-07 if you want somewhat more refined and budget as can be had at good prices. Gen2 if within your budget, might as well go that way by starting with a later model, so when you contemplate selling it it will only be 10 yrs old and not 20 like mine lol.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
As an owner of both an 01 ZX12R and an 09 Hyabusa the difference is like chalk and cheese, the Gen2 Buzza is so much more refined and easy to ride at both calm 2 up riding with the missus and radical riding solo, the ZX was a great solo ride if I wanted to crack the whip but when I was wanting to take out a mate or my wife it was a different story (my missus only rode with me once on the 12 and said never again). The Hayabusa is a great bike as it can be tame and a beast in the one bike, i'm only speaking from a Gen2 experience (08-09 model) but as i've ridden many bikes over the last 17 years this is the best bike I have found for all round riding and the missus loves it too!!! Maybe i've slowed down but I think it's more the smooth ride that she likes.
(24-09-2009, 04:37pm)Astro Wrote: One other thing that pops up (but very rarely) is an issue with 2nd gear.

In respect of brakes... spaman wrote that the brakes need to be upgraded - that is from the perspective of someone who has the skills, experience and the inclination to ride the bike at 10/10ths. I can see that if regularly taxed at those kind of velocities the upgrade is a 'must have'. There are many riders here that reach that grade... Kawasuki, Blackzook and Madmax are just three that come to mind. We're not all up to their standard.... in my case... not even close.

So from an 'average' riders perspective, I've never had reason to complain about the standard brakes. If you're up in the higher echelons in regards to skills and riding temperament... then possibly the brakes might need an upgrade. As a guide (having ridden a Blackbird)... I'd say if you were happy with the standard brakes on that... you'll be more than happy with the standard 'busa brakes.

Also remember that we have a lot of members here who are vendors - so finding parts and upgrade kits at club discount prices is never a problem.

The last thing I'll mention is 'after-sales support' - not from the dealer... but from this forum. In this thread alone you've had a taste of how members here help and support each other. This is a great forum - and it's been going for very nearly 10 years. You'll never experience a problem that someone here hasn't already solved. And there are always many willing helpers if you ever need them.

I'll shut up now.

I dont agree with you astro,i bought mine from new in 07 an i really
think the brakes are underdone for what the bike is capable of.
Its no where near as confident inspiring like any of the gsxr's from
04 an up. I know there a racebike but still,it wasnt designed for the track but it steams harder than the gsxr's with more weight so why they released them with underdone brakes is beyond me.
I put braided lines on mine,an still i dont like them.
Next step i was told if i want them to feel like a gsxr is a brembo
brake master cylinder...

Its always a full handed affair instead of 2 fingers.
An i can tell you now im in no where near the same league
as spam,mad max etc. Im very average. Even below par some
might say! I dont think there good enough for an emergency
situation. How they released a bike so fast with those brakes
an got it past the engineers is beyond me!
From what ive read an been told about the gen 2 (stil havent ridden
one myself for the fear of trading up) is that there great an
far better thank god Pi_thumbsup

But thats my opinion. My freind took out my busa the other
day an he loved it an seems like hel get one over the latest
gsxr's, but he too thinks the brakes are underdone in the gen 1.
This appears to be a commonly asked question so I think it should be a sticky for future members.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Thanks guys for all your replies.

Well the search has started. I noticed that Parramatta store and a dealer at Blacktown had a Busa each. Wife and I went on Saturday for a look. Parramatta store also had a ZX12R. Fiona my better 1/2 did not like the seat on the 12R so thats off the radar, I have to listen to the Boss in this case. The Busa at Parramatta was less than impressive, it has a tear in the seat, looked dirty and to me not good signs of a bike that has been looked after. Maybe it was just the dust storm.

That left Blacktown, got to the store. Sales staff seemed to be more interested in having a smoke and a chat. Looked around and could see no bike. I jumped into the car, looked across and saw one of the smoking salesman. I then asked if the Busa sold and he said nope, it's put away. He then asked if I was looking to buy it, I said yes but I will go somewhere more willing to talk to the customer and left.

I will be honest and I really only want to spend $10,000 on a bike as I dont want to touch the re-draw on our mortgage. There were a few in Sydney for 11,000 - 12,500 with decent K's but I dont want to make stupid offers. I might be able to go to 11,000 at a push.

So I guess it is time to play the waiting game, look at bikesales, tradingpost and Ebay several times a day in the hope of finding something within my budget thats looks nice, and a poor husband that has been told to get rid of his pride and joy NOW.

Oh I jumped on a 900SS Ducati and it's not for a bloke my size so that is off the radar as well.

Cheers again
Mark

Just wanting to get back on the road.......................
Hey Mark, don't think of offers below the asking price as stupid (especially in private sales). Look for negatives in the bike you can use as bargaining chips . I bought an '03 model privately, the bloke was asking $11500...I got it for $10k cos it needed chains & sprockets (didn't really but he didn't seem to know any better), he couldn't tell me when the last service was, and it needed new tyres soonish, so I talked him down. You gotta put yourself in the drivers' seat of the negotiation. Also don't forget that when you spend $10k on the purchase, by the time you pay insurance, rego transfer etc... you'll have spent $11k.
Stay within your budget, be patient, and you'll find a bike you (& the missus) are really happy with.
Good luck on the search (keep an eye on the forums for members selling their bikes).
Rods Copper/Silver going at a great price if still available.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
This is the link to the thread on Rods beautiful Copper/Silver... and its well within your price range.

http://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/...310&page=1
Thanks guys

Bike is in Brisbane and I make a point of viewing a bike before I buy. I am sure the bike is great, but I got stung many moons ago and it has made me very cautious.

Colour is very nice as well.

Cheers
Mark
Well guys I may have found a bike.

CLICK HERE

Walked in yesterday to have a look. Guy said it was $11,495. Seems with the budget I can only come up with $10,200. Told the guys that and they seem to think we can do a deal.

06 model with 32,000 on the clock. Sales guys made a big deal about the plates, 06K0 Frown Yeah it's a K6. I will put my plates back on, dont know if the 06K0 would be of interest to anyone, bit of a wank in my opinion.

By chance does anyone know this bike?

If all looks good I hope to leave a deposit tomorrow and be a owner on Saturday of a 06 Busa.
Mark... great looking bike. If you can get it within your budget that'll be a spectacular price! Good luck with it!
Cheers Mate..............I am hooked and it was always going to be a Busa.....I still want a second look at the bike + a ride before I make the final choice.

I still get a strange feeling the salesman is going to screw me around. Even after I told him that I had $10,200 to spend and I did not want to waste his time or mine.

I am also ready to walk away of he can't do a deal with me and want to stuff arse around.