Porsche 911, 1981 model. Anyone owned one?
What would one hypothetically look for if one was hypothetically interested in buying one? Would one be worried about rust under the headlights or is it more likely to make one concerned about electrical problems?

Would it be true that the hard-tops are best because targa's and convertibles leak water regularly?

How much would one be prepared to pay for the said hypothetical Porsche?

Wm
What would one look for???

You will fit in beautifully with the Porche hoipoli using f*&^ing pretentious
phrases like that.Pi_tongue

Once one has aquired said quality steed one should also purchase, or purloin (as one will be permanently broke) a white cardigan, a scarf , rose coloured glasses and a subscription to pretentious asshole monthly.

PS Heidi would like to know if you have a small penis, allowing you to fit in with the inn crowdLol2
Thank you Blackzook for your kind words. I will forward the said information to anyone who may be interested in buying a Porsche 911.

Kind regards,
Volvo driver Boobies4
Had a 924 not the same. but go for it, It had a BMW motor in it I think & was still good fun Pi_thumbsup
(11-12-2009, 09:17pm)pan Wrote: What would one hypothetically look for if one was hypothetically interested in buying one? Would one be worried about rust under the headlights or is it more likely to make one concerned about electrical problems?

Would it be true that the hard-tops are best because targa's and convertibles leak water regularly?

How much would one be prepared to pay for the said hypothetical Porsche?

Wm

The early eighties weren't that kind to 911's from what I have heard. The Porsche board were seriously split between dumping the 911 for 944/928 style cars and the early emissions control systems were a bit hows ya father. Problem is, as your probably aware, the earlier pre emissions 911's are now very expensive.

The good thing about 80's 911's is they handle and brake well and if you know your way around a VW engine you can have a go at a flat six. You will need some specialty tools tho.

You seem to be pretty much onto the weaknesses, particularly the sealing issues of older Targas etc. Check for rust everywhere. A lot of Russian sheet steel was sold in Europe during then 70's and 80's (just ask Alfa Romeo) Electrically it makes little difference whether you look or not. It will bite you on the bum at some time regardless.

My druthers would be an early/mid 80's 911 with a motor devoid of all the early Bosch injection and emission gear. I would go to the effort of having a pair of intake manifolds fabbed to accept a decent pair of the many aftermarket all in one fuel injection systems such as the Fueljection items which run wideband O2 sensors, adaptive learning electronics and MAP instead of MAF. Its not port injection but considering the short manifolds it works well and its dead reliable. Get one with manual windows and aircon/heating etc and you wont have any BCM dramas either.

Good luck, hope its a bargain.
Ignore Bruce, he is drinking again.
Not sure if they made many decent Porsches in the 80's. The old man had a 928 that he bought for basically nothing and it was just about the biggest heap of sh#t I've ever driven. Heavy as hell and not that quick either. Only good thing about was if my dad's mate had crashed in anything else we wold probably be dead now.
(11-12-2009, 09:24pm)BLACKZOOK Wrote: What would one look for???

You will fit in beautifully with the Porche hoipoli using f*&^ing pretentious
phrases like that.Pi_tongue

Once one has aquired said quality steed one should also purchase, or purloin (as one will be permanently broke) a white cardigan, a scarf , rose coloured glasses and a subscription to pretentious asshole monthly.

PS Heidi would like to know if you have a small penis, allowing you to fit in with the inn crowdLol2

Lol2Lol2Lol2

Pan, to drive a 911 with plenty of bling u will have to trade in ur passport for one of Lebanese origin!!Lol2
I have driven and worked on a few many years ago, if it is rust free, low klm's, been serviced regularly, and is at the right price, jump on it as it will be an asset that will increase in value, on the other hand, if it's a piece of shit, that has been flogged & not correctly maintained and u buy it with the intention of doing it up, then, my friend, u are heading for bankruptcy!!
Just because it's a Porsche don't expect it to fill the void left behind by ur 'Busa, cause it won't go near it!
If u are hell bent on buying hypothetically said Porsche, drive it over to my workshop and we will put it up on the hoist and go right over it!.

Cheers,
Tex & Bundy
Everybody dies, not Everybody lives !!
There is no substitute for grunt !!
Every boy needs more than one toy !!

I think they are beautiful, they are one of my dream cars. Who cares if the damn thing is unreliable, life is short, just buy it. If you don't like it, sell it. Easy. You work hard, do it.

But I'm not telling your wife.
Dam you Pan I had put those early models out of my collective but I have always liked a 356 for cruising, you cant do much else with them or early 70s RSR, particularly. If I had the money I would buy one the new breeds, the GT3 RSR.

I heard the rust well and handle like a bucket with all that rear weight bias.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Shayne
Thanks for the feedback gals (Heidi and Blackzook) and guys (the rest).

The one I'm looking at, er, um, I mean, a friend is looking at has had the engine rebuilt with a replacement unit with cross flow oil feeds to the timing chain, becasue apparently it's the way to go.

Will keep you posted, and YES, it IS a bargain price...
(12-12-2009, 08:29pm)pan Wrote: Thanks for the feedback gals (Heidi and Blackzook) and guys (the rest).

Half a deck is better than none, your on your own from here big fella.Pi_tongue
(12-12-2009, 10:50pm)BLACKZOOK Wrote:
(12-12-2009, 08:29pm)pan Wrote: Thanks for the feedback gals (Heidi and Blackzook) and guys (the rest).

Half a deck is better than none, your on your own from here big fella.Pi_tongue

If you want to see your tools alive again, you'll show up shorty! Knuppel2

Just send me an SMS when you're on the way so can have breakfast ready... Pi_thumbsup
Heidi and I are still drinking she is teaching me the macarana we might be a tad late.

Should be sober by new years
Hypotheically your friend wouldn't be considering getting rid of an actual WRX Idiot2 to replace it with a hypothetical Porsche 911, that could hypothetically require some work???????

If the above hypothetical situation was to occur, where would the actual Hayabusa kanji go on a hypothetical Porsche 911 Lol3

1hotbusa says, hypothetically, that if you are that desperate, you should buy a bike as you hypothetically sound like bikeless person Fred Lol3

Disclaimer: no hypotheticals were harmed during the writing of this post Lol2
Kathy
Rear half of 2000 Red/Grey Busa Smitten
Rear half of 2010 Red BMW K1300 GT Smitten