Cop lane splits - Legal?
(19-12-2009, 01:54pm)AvgJoe Wrote: Whatup peeps?
Dont you guys read the handbook????? i know i didn't till now. Very Happy

Im waiting for it to come out on DVD Lol2
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
Sorry Nem.
I disagree.
I know plenty of Cops and they are just like you and me.
They are just normal people putting their lives on the line every day, trying to carry out a thankless task.
If you look at anything you can find a negative side to it.
It's the old question?
Is the glass half full or half empty? Depends on how you look at it.

Peace.
(19-12-2009, 01:19pm)NEMESIS Wrote:
(19-12-2009, 06:23am)Toecutter Wrote:
(19-12-2009, 04:11am)NEMESIS Wrote: They need there badges to be real men.
Take the badge off an try have a go Police

They're also the people you call when something terrible (heaven forbid) happens to your family/you have an accident/ your house is broken into............
Doesn't sound as rebelious as your statement but we actually need to understand that without these folk, we're F#cked.
Nothing personal, just understand that they are not all bad, just as not all bikers are bad...

I was waiting for this argument.
An im glad you brought it up.

Once my car broke down,didnt have my phone on me,
was pissing down rain an thundering at night,found a cop car
at a set of lights,asked them if they could drop me off at
home which was 9km away,they said no an just sat there at the lights.
Yeh thanks.

Our whole street except a few houses,got robbed,neighbour
called the cops,they didnt come til 3 days later.
Yeh thanks.

I wont mention other stories which are abit much.
Although its odd how if you misbehave on your bike or in your car,
they can impound your bike or take your car,an if you do it
enough,theyl take it an send it to the crusher.
But junkies are allowed to shoot up in there homes,in front of there
kids,throw
needles in kindergarten sandpits an wherever they please,but you dont see there houses an stuff
get taken off them do you?

You want something done right,you do it yourself,
like hell il ever ask the police for anything.

Yes Nem there are pricks out there

I put a car over a cliff in tassie a few years back after strugling up the bank walking for 5-6 Hrs in snow trying ti hitch a ride only had one car go past and you can guess correct a 4x4 police i just about jumped in front of him but no stops , But you do get good ones
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
Cops are people. Have familys, dogs, cats etc. How many on here haven't broken the law? Not speeding, or double parked? Yes some do have an attitude but don't we all? Do you not get feed up with those people who are just plain stupid and you have to try and educate them? In my line of work I have to show them the error of there ways when I just want them to go ahead and hurt themselves then maybe they will learn.
(19-12-2009, 09:49am)ROD Wrote:
(19-12-2009, 06:23am)Toecutter Wrote:
(19-12-2009, 04:11am)NEMESIS Wrote: They need there badges to be real men.
Take the badge off an try have a go Police

They're also the people you call when something terrible (heaven forbid) happens to your family/you have an accident/ your house is broken into............
Doesn't sound as rebelious as your statement but we actually need to understand that without these folk, we're F#cked.
Nothing personal, just understand that they are not all bad, just as not all bikers are bad...

Verry true just ask yourself have you or someone you no have ever called on the police Pi_thumbsup
Yes, they are in fact public servants. THAT IS WHAT WE PAY OUR TAXES FOR.
(19-12-2009, 01:58pm)DjPete Wrote: Sorry Nem.
I disagree.
I know plenty of Cops and they are just like you and me.
They are just normal people putting their lives on the line every day, trying to carry out a thankless task.
If you look at anything you can find a negative side to it.
It's the old question?
Is the glass half full or half empty? Depends on how you look at it.

Peace.

Its ok,you dont have to agree with me Lol3

I know a handfull of cops, an they dont set the best
example when off duty.
The way i see it is,if your there to set a good example,
you have to be a straight shooter.
Not be a cop,an still be a f***wit off duty.
Il save the stories for when i see you Pi_thumbsup
(19-12-2009, 01:58pm)DjPete Wrote: Peace.

+1 Coolsmiley
I always lane split period, but only when "safe to do so". A cop once told me if pulled over for lane splitting when vehicles were stationary like at lights - your statement should be "I only overtook the car on my left in the same lane and "when it was safe to do so". You cant be charged for that. Now say cop was behind you and saw you overtook on adjoining lane on the cars on the right in their lane, you could be charged for overtaking on the inside. I still split lanes almost always unless I see a cop car at the front I wont bother to, no reason to give him any excuses to pull me over.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
(20-12-2009, 10:13am)Volvi Wrote: I always lane split period, but only when "safe to do so". A cop once told me if pulled over for lane splitting when vehicles were stationary like at lights - your statement should be "I only overtook the car on my left in the same lane and "when it was safe to do so". You cant be charged for that. Now say cop was behind you and saw you overtook on adjoining lane on the cars on the right in their lane, you could be charged for overtaking on the inside. I still split lanes almost always unless I see a cop car at the front I wont bother to, no reason to give him any excuses to pull me over.
I too lane split all the time when safe to do so (and occassionaly not...I'm no saint). I have done it in front of cops, next to cops, following cops you name it. I have never been told off for it. IMO and experience if you are not being stupid about it and are just crawling along most cops don't have a problem with it. It's the guys that do 80kmh between the cars that F@#k it up for all of us. I see many of them being chauffer driven in an Ambulance every week on the Monash. The sight of a weekly smashed bike on the side puts things into perspective for you too. The only thing I got in trouble for and it was just a warning, was for riding slow in the emergency lane on the Monash Freeway in traffic that was 'parked'. It was a cop on a bike and all he said was "unless you want a fine, get back in the traffic". I got back in the traffic and proceeded to follow him down the middle of the cars. How ironic. The Emergency lane was a safer place to be.
(20-12-2009, 11:00am)BikerBoy Wrote:
(20-12-2009, 10:13am)Volvi Wrote: I always lane split period, but only when "safe to do so". A cop once told me if pulled over for lane splitting when vehicles were stationary like at lights - your statement should be "I only overtook the car on my left in the same lane and "when it was safe to do so". You cant be charged for that. Now say cop was behind you and saw you overtook on adjoining lane on the cars on the right in their lane, you could be charged for overtaking on the inside. I still split lanes almost always unless I see a cop car at the front I wont bother to, no reason to give him any excuses to pull me over.
I too lane split all the time when safe to do so (and occassionaly not...I'm no saint). I have done it in front of cops, next to cops, following cops you name it. I have never been told off for it. IMO and experience if you are not being stupid about it and are just crawling along most cops don't have a problem with it. It's the guys that do 80kmh between the cars that F@#k it up for all of us. I see many of them being chauffer driven in an Ambulance every week on the Monash. The sight of a weekly smashed bike on the side puts things into perspective for you too. The only thing I got in trouble for and it was just a warning, was for riding slow in the emergency lane on the Monash Freeway in traffic that was 'parked'. It was a cop on a bike and all he said was "unless you want a fine, get back in the traffic". I got back in the traffic and proceeded to follow him down the middle of the cars. How ironic. The Emergency lane was a safer place to be.

Yeah, I got done on the F3 for driving in the break down lane, whilst it was a 'carpark'. Cop came flying up behind me in a car - really dangerous, and then preceded to tell ME how dangerous it was for me to be in that lane - only bloody dangerous when an out of control cop is on your ass. He preceded to lecture me an fined me about $80 (I think)
then asked if it would stop me from doing it again. I said NO I would, as it would save me hours on the road, and the ticket was little more than a parking fine. He said "See ya round" and took off, sirens blazing to cut across the traffic and chase a bike going the other way. I continued down the breakdown lane home. I'm a habitual lane splitter, and not about to change.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
(20-12-2009, 11:41am)Ward P Wrote: Yeah, I got done on the F3 for driving in the break down lane, whilst it was a 'carpark'. Cop came flying up behind me in a car - really dangerous, and then preceded to tell ME how dangerous it was for me to be in that lane - only bloody dangerous when an out of control cop is on your ass. He preceded to lecture me an fined me about $80 (I think)
then asked if it would stop me from doing it again. I said NO I would, as it would save me hours on the road, and the ticket was little more than a parking fine. He said "See ya round" and took off, sirens blazing to cut across the traffic and chase a bike going the other way. I continued down the breakdown lane home. I'm a habitual lane splitter, and not about to change.

I was cought on the monash in melbourne going up emergancy lane trafic was stoped and i only had about 1k to turn of Police asked why i was in the emergancy lane i told him i though i could hear a strange noise comming from front , he helped me have a bit of look then said by
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
Generally you find that the highway coppers who DON'T ride will target bikes more often than not. The one's who do ride (& there are quite a few) won't target a bike unless you're doing something really stupid!
The traffic cycle guys will only go after a bike if again, they are doing something really dumb in front of them. They tend to have a bit of respect for fellow riders, particullarly if you're seen to be competent & not "riding like you stole it" basically.

Yes there are quite a few arseholes out there that give them a bad name & I won't defend them as I have come across them myself. One on Bells last year in fact. Tried talking to me how nice my bike was & how it was a weapon & I should be careful on it. I said to him "Oh yeah, ever ridden one?" and he said No he hadn't. I threw the helmet on (already had my ticket to the ball by that stage) yelled out "yeah & you've probably never ridden a bike at all" & took off.
Later found out I was correct, he was just trying to big man himself. (Beware of them in the blue mountains patrol, they are a special breed up there)
Cops are tops..!!

I guess the key is "lane splitting" vs "lane filtering". The latter being when the cars are stopped at lights and it is legal to pass between them (in NSW anyway).

The whole double standard thing is bullshit.. I was almost taken out by a cop doing an illegal u-turn in the middle of an intersection a month or so ago.. Lights flashing and all.. Until it was 100m down the road and just cruising along...