More Cowboys
(22-03-2010, 04:47am)#CAS# Wrote: Todays Telegraph has a little more info on this http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/cr...5843520807

Seems the guy who was running had done this before, even spending time in a coma after he pranged the last car he stole.

I hear you Ray the cops are heavy handed, but what is the alternative letting car thieves and any other scum just run? Personally I think the cops aught to do what the Yanks do, run the f***kers off the road and what ever damage the runner does is added to his list of charges.

then run them off the road instead of waiting, as usual, till they crash somewere.
All scenarios are different and all are un-predictable.

Any police chase has to be authorised and given permission to continue.

No 'cowboy' can play duke of hazzard on his own and without authorisation.

A persuit is often called off when danger to life is envisioned if allowed to continue.

A flleeing vehicle is always a danger to its driver but when that fleeing vehicle is a danger to other road users (usually clearly is) then a decision has to be made.

And here Im not sure if the guidelines are clear.

Most states in the USA when presented with such a situation will take the decision to 'run' the offending vehicle off the road with a 'fish tale maneuver' irrespective of what danger it may involve the offending driver, because clearly that driver is a clear and present danger to all other innocent road users.

But here lies the conundrum........and as rule number one each scenario is different and each un-predictable.

If the Police succesfully fish tale the offending vehicle off the road it may result in the death of the offending driver, such as vehicle enters a series of rolls. And the Police could be perceived as the offender and may be deemd not 'politically correct' in their actions. However the dcision is taken irrespective of the results due to possible loss of life of other innocenent road users.

However any 'politically correct' society as I believe say Australia and the UK will not have in theyre police guidelines authorisation for such a 'fish tale maneuver' and instead seeks the path of least resistance by following said vehicle to its conclusion. Perhaps this should be the main point of discovery in any post enquiry.

Remember every scenario is different and always un-predictable. Its very easy for us members of the public to preach wisdom "after the facts".

And consider to that Police are accountable to their political masters. In the final analysis its our elected officials whom we all vote for that is responsible for for all Police guidelines and not the Police themselves, they can only make recommendations. The Police can only follow what is determined for them. They have a job to carry out often un-enviable. And in conclusion political point scoring from this sad affair is below the belt and un-warranted.

My heart goes out to the innocent victims of this tragic event and not to the offending driver.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
Well said Volvi, as usual you and a couple of other clear thinkers are the voice of reason.
Cheers,
Terry
No win situation, the police will be dammed if they do chase and dammed if they dont.

I say run the scum off the road and the riddle the wreckage with bullets to make sure they are dead. Or first offence crucifiction, nail them up I say!

The dead hardly ever re offend.Pi_tongue
I like the US pit removal system first chance you get take the f***kers out they die tuff shit
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
The dead hardly ever re offend.

ClapLol2Clap
I totaly agree with the stop them attitude...the sooner the better and if they die tough. As for the pitt manouever I reckon a front end loader would be more efficient...take the wreck straight to the tip....job done!
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
I am today in Melbourne and saw some thing which only happens in third world.....
on Colin St, there were 4 cops standing by the side of the road chit chating, (they were waiting) in the traffic a biker was pulled over and all the 4 cops were walking around the bike making note of what they are seeing - (it was a stock 125 cc and a chick was riding it) - it seems they were waiting for and catching bikes with illegal modifications.

To me this is a waste of time as they were just standing on the side of road - while they could have done some thing better with their time. secondly why target bikes only and that too in a busy street where you cant even walk.

This reminded me of India where - usually a cop will stop a vehicle in traffic and once pull over will try and create charges so that he could get some bribe............

Sorry state of managing times for the cops, in this time they could have saved some Indian getting killed by a Indian.....and saved some bad publicity back in India.....ops I am also a Indian......ops...
(22-03-2010, 02:17pm)Bill Gaheer Wrote: Sorry state of managing times for the cops, in this time they could have saved some Indian getting killed by a Indian.....and saved some bad publicity back in India.....ops I am also a Indian......ops...

Yeh we (Australia) are still waiting for our opoligy from india
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
(22-03-2010, 02:40pm)ROD Wrote:
(22-03-2010, 02:17pm)Bill Gaheer Wrote: Sorry state of managing times for the cops, in this time they could have saved some Indian getting killed by a Indian.....and saved some bad publicity back in India.....ops I am also a Indian......ops...

Yeh we (Australia) are still waiting for our opoligy from india

Yes Me too Rod, me too......Pi_thumbsup Lol2
Looks like most agree with the copper chasing , just hope that none of your clost friends or relitives ends up another inocent victim over a shit box car chase or mobile phone chase.
It is a sad thing that others where killed.

Maybe procedures will be changed.

Maybe if the courts had locked him up after his previous offence this would not have happened.
Maybe if the courts jail the next person on their first offence this sort of thing might be prevented.
Maybe if he had killed himself in his previous prang.
Maybe if the Police hadn't pursued.
Maybe if the Police had called it off 1 minute earlier, or 2 or 3.
Maybe if it wasn't this intersection.
Maybe if he had stopped.
Maybe if he hadn't stolen the car in the first place.
Maybe if he arrived at theat intersection one minute later.
Maybe if the Police knew who the offender was they could just go t his house and wait for him to come home.

Maybe the media should hold this up and shove it in the face of every crim and car thief and say, DO YOU WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS. If you pull over, If you don't try and flee you can avoid this.
But unfortulately, someone else is always at fault for their actions, never themselves.

I constantly read in this forum and others why don't the cops do this or that, or they shouldn't do this or that.

Why is it that the Police seem to be solely to blame. If you believe that all pursuits should be banned, that's fine. It may just happen. If it does, don't come here spewing your hate for Police because they didn't catch some dirtbag crim.

Don't come here spewing your cop hate period. Take it to the newspapers. There are plenty that will happily lap it up for you.

That's my view.

If I've upset anyone, just pm an Admin, let them know and they can happily cancel my account. I am over it.
Regards,

Busdriver (aka Les)
Bottom line is we have a family wiped out for the sake of retrieving a stolen $1000 shitbox........value for money ?

I dunno what the answer is, I don't get paid for that but hurtling around the streets at that pace aint it..
Never ride the A model of anything.
I know, stupid people pushing the same bloody barrow. Don't worry Les, you know who they go bleating to at the first sign of trouble.
NO - they get paid to try and uphold the law.

Most endeavour to do it to the best of their ability.

Busdriver signing off.
Regards,

Busdriver (aka Les)