Metz Sportec M5
After reading BIKE (UK) May edition, where they have this topic on tyres, I am only considering the Metzler Sportec M5, Dunlop Sportsmart and Michelin Power Pures. Probably in that order.
I would replace the Dunlops with Avons if that was my list.
(01-07-2010, 09:04am)FalcoPerigri Wrote: After reading BIKE (UK) May edition, where they have this topic on tyres, I am only considering the Metzler Sportec M5, Dunlop Sportsmart and Michelin Power Pures. Probably in that order.

I wouldn't use Metzler on anything too many problems, Dunlops no grip ,Power Pures im running at the moment & they are not imperssing, me well compaired to the bridgestone 003 i had on last they were great , have a look at Pirelli Angel's too they are getting good reports .

Mark
What problems is there with Metzeler? I haven't heard anything...got a couple of mates running M3's & they seem pretty good.
My understanding is that the M3's are very good and that the M5's are their replacement, meaning slightly better all round, meaning slightly better (sporty) handling and longevity.
The Dunlop Sportsmart (new) is also supposed to be excellent. Judging the number of IOM users of Dunlop tyres, I would say that they have "enough" performance for me!
The PUREs also suggest lighter and better steering because of reduced centrifugal mass, though this aspect is not something I would put as top priority for my style of riding. From members having used the M3's, they are very impressed, certainly more so than thee Bridgestone 015's (OEM)...
Angels ST also have had some very good reports. Right now, I would say that the new M5's have caused quite a stir and I am keen to try them.
(02-07-2010, 09:31am)FalcoPerigri Wrote: My understanding is that the M3's are very good and that the M5's are their replacement, meaning slightly better all round, meaning slightly better (sporty) handling and longevity.
The Dunlop Sportsmart (new) is also supposed to be excellent. Judging the number of IOM users of Dunlop tyres, I would say that they have "enough" performance for me!
The PUREs also suggest lighter and better steering because of reduced centrifugal mass, though this aspect is not something I would put as top priority for my style of riding. From members having used the M3's, they are very impressed, certainly more so than thee Bridgestone 015's (OEM)...
Angels ST also have had some very good reports. Right now, I would say that the new M5's have caused quite a stir and I am keen to try them.
gday mate i went from oem to conti road attack rear sport attack front an get 8000 plus out of the back.im going to try the m5s next when they come out. i dont think they have been released in oz yet? ps love the contis
I have seen a few Metzeler tyres split the entire side wall & seperate from the rest of the tyre not these tyres in particular but when u see a few do it u lose confidence in a product , the only reason manufacture's use dunlop is cause they come to the table with the best deal . Tyres are a personal choice everyone ride's different a tyre that suits one riding style may not suit another , a tyre that one rider says is the best may feel like crap to another rider , you also forget what a bike felt like with new rubber so when u replace old with new the tyres will feel like the best tyres u have ever had , so use any tyre u like but if u swap brands try to remember that the tyre u just replaced was stuffed & thats why the new ones u have on now feel like they are great the big test is when they are 75% gone how do they perform then !

Mark
Well said Mark.
I don't mind the OEM -015's at all, even if by the time I get to around 6500(max) I'll have to replace the rear. That's in another 1000km. Front seems good for another 2000km at least.
I don't need the sticky-est tyre, nor the LONGEST lasting...somewhere in the middle will do with some up-to-date innovations thrown in would be good. That's why the NEW Sportsmart and the Metzler M5 are interesting to me, because they are designed to cover everything from road use to the occasional track day without disgracing themselves.
Found a place to get the (Rear )Sportec M5 for $275 fitted and the guy swears it's just one fantastic tyre. The Sportsmart other contender is a bit thin on the ground just now and Power Pure is slightly more expensiv (quoted 328).
I'm getting about 3000km out of BT015's on the rear and 5000km on the front, I'm going to put a set of M5's on next week as the front's gone and prob only got another 1000km or so left in the rear.

I'm wiping the sides out of the tyres (trying to keep up with my mates on the S1000RR's and R1's).

My mate put a set of M5's on his VFR and is loving them.
Hey McTavish,
you have a set of Metzler M5's...how are they going compared to your previous RoadSmarts (which were terrific I understand...)???

At around $475 fitted the M5's seem a decent buy.
How about the fitting performed by the crowd at Moss St.?
Would you rate the RoadSmarts equal or the lesser in comparison...?
FP
(05-09-2010, 02:39pm)FalcoPerigri Wrote: Hey McTavish,
you have a set of Metzler M5's...how are they going compared to your previous RoadSmarts (which were terrific I understand...)???

FP

i wrote a long reply, but deleted it due to verbosity. the metzelers are great, very very sticky but deaden the road feel. the dunlops were great too, great road feel. no complaints at all.

as other experienced riders, including busa2 riders have pointed out to us - where did suzuki pull 42psi from? that is just plain dangerous! i run 10psi lower than that in summer FFS when your tyre will increase 8psi in 20 mins of riding!
(06-09-2010, 08:42pm)McTavish Wrote:
(05-09-2010, 02:39pm)FalcoPerigri Wrote: Hey McTavish,

FP

i wrote a long reply, but deleted it due to verbosity. the metzelers are great, very very sticky but deaden the road feel. the dunlops were great too, great road feel. no complaints at all.

as other experienced riders, including busa2 riders have pointed out to us - where did suzuki pull 42psi from? that is just plain dangerous! i run 10psi lower than that in summer FFS when your tyre will increase 8psi in 20 mins of riding!

Interesting, I just found out (I hope correctly that the Roadsmarts are rated to 168mph (only!)
So maybe the M5's are more ahead of the game. RS's do feel terrific though.
42-42 (STD) as recommended in the handbook is just a bit bouncy. I find 38-38 (cold) to suit me just fine. Some go to 36-38 in order to scrub off some more of the chicken strip.
Maybe they use Hayabusa's to make real quick pancakes on Japanese Roads in the Summer time and they don't want too much tyre contact!
BTW check out "polished or chrome" thread, re; ceramic coatings...