Costs driving motorbikes riders off the road
TWO wheels are the best way to get around Sydney. So why make it more difficult?

An 85.5 per cent increase in third party insurance for 250cc machines, scooters and learner-approved machines is going to stall bike sales.

Worse, there seems to be no research data available for the insurance companies to justify this rise.

Meanwhile, NSW councils are continually trying to cut car numbers and encourage bike use to keep congestion down. Councils even provide riders with dedicated parking areas as a reward.

But with the CTP now being on a par with small cars, what is the point?

According to Motorcycle Council of NSW chairman Rob Colligan: "It's a complete joke".

He said the main factor behind the jump in CTP costs was based on figures received from motorcycle crashes where, in most cases, no one was injured but the bike had to be towed away. By law the police have to be informed and, in turn, the rider is charged with negligence.

"If a rider comes unstuck through no fault of their own - such as oil on the road or a car swerving in front of them -most of the time the motorcycle cannot be ridden away due to broken clutch or brake levers," Colligan says.

"So when a tow truck is called the police have to be informed and even though there are no injuries the rider is charged with negligent driving and usually wears the cost of the fine without taking it further.

"Third party insurance is supposedly there for injuries to a third party, so if no one is hurt how come the premiums go through the roof?"

Another concern for MCC volunteers is that motorcyclists are not recognised as a road user group and therefore receive no funding to challenge these issues.

By comparison, pedestrians and bicycle riders are represented - and funded - by the State Government.

If you are hit by a bicycle illegally riding on a footpath or by a pedestrian bolting down the street, who pays the premiums to cover your medical costs?

If we are to get serious about lowering carbon emissions, traffic congestion, unreliable public transport and fighting rising fuel costs, the Government should be encouraging people to use alternate transport by having an independent motorcycle body in place to provide relevant data to insurance companies.

A lot of young people in the workforce opt for two wheels because it's an economic and reliable way to travel.

But when the premiums are hiked to such an unrealistic level, which they struggle to afford, they will probably opt for the comfort of a cheap car and join the rest of the masses on the motorways, guzzling petrol and belching smoke.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/op...5884438014
TRAITOR
i have posted this to the MCC mate . when i get a responce i will let you know
Cheers Kev.
As I said it needs some work and a few more facts. But at the end of the day we can all whinge or we can act! I recon If some one gets at least 50,000 people sending letters and emails some one in power will take notice. After all they want as many votes as they can!
TRAITOR
This makes me very angry, and I don't even live in NSW. I had to have a cup of tea to calm down and stop pacing around the apartment fantasising about what I'd do if I had the power!

I really hope - with all my heart - that you guys can gather as many riders as you can to at least make your voices heard.

I can guarantee you I'd be there if I lived in NSW.

Don't let your brothers down, be there.
(26-06-2010, 09:53pm)Cotter7 Wrote: Cheers Kev.
As I said it needs some work and a few more facts. But at the end of the day we can all whinge or we can act! I recon If some one gets at least 50,000 people sending letters and emails some one in power will take notice. After all they want as many votes as they can!

all i did was clean up the spelling but other than that i like the letter and have posted it on the MCC email so all MCC members can read this .
Cool Kev. I have given the letter to several mates who are on other forums. I think if we send it sooner rather than later. And as I said if they get bulk letters and emails from a wide variety of riders it can only do our cause good.
And excuse my ignorance but was there any warning about the impending rise? Like news paper adds etc? I know that I recieved no warning from my CTP providers (I have 2 bikes with different companys.). It seems like a complete ambush to me!
TRAITOR
they dont have to inform you of a rise in prices . which i this is wrong
Dead wrong! But what do you expect from insurance companys. They think there god!
TRAITOR
they have been left to there own and they think there a law unto them selves

we can fix this but its all or nothing if we go at it half assed then were going to lose
TRAITOR