Bad Service or par for the course?
I am not defending stealerships I have had my share of bad experiences but surely if the chain was adjusted and the oil level correct when you got it back from them then they did their job properly.

In between services chain adjustment and adding oil if necessary is the owners responsibility, both can and do need attending to at any time.

My apologies if I am reading this incorrectly.
(25-07-2010, 09:54pm)BLACKZOOK Wrote: I am not defending stealerships I have had my share of bad experiences but surely if the chain was adjusted and the oil level correct when you got it back from them then they did their job properly.

In between services chain adjustment and adding oil if necessary is the owners responsibility, both can and do need attending to at any time.

My apologies if I am reading this incorrectly.

Let me say this. If they just replaced the oil filter and did not top up the oil sufficiently and also did not go for a test ride, and then topped up after the test ride, then the oil will still look like it's at the same level in the window. I took a quick look just before riding off from the workshop and did not look at it next day after going for a 285km ride till the next morning.
Yes it is my responsibility but I have NOT needed to put ANY oil into the engine, till this moment from new and for a 6000km machine, this amount of loss is unthinkable! One other thing, the new VSX oil that is supposed to have gone into the engine after the change SHOULD look like a light amber honey colour and not like coffee colour, which is what finally showed up at the window, when we tilted the bike to the right. Back upright again, it all disappeared again.
Falco

i have been reading this thread from start mate and all though im not a GENII owner i am a busa owner i understand how frustrated your feeling , IMHO you should take the bike to another dealership and get a 2nd opinion take the recipt and show them whats been done and get a 2nd opinion , on the other point about the oil not being its amber colour , once you have drained the oil there is still a residue of the old used oil inside the engine and unless you drop the sump and clean the engine of all the old oil your new oil is going to be a little discoloured due to mixing with the old oil , as for the chain issue i have had new chains strech from new and have spoken to bike mechanics from all feilds and have been advised that this within the normal peramaters of chains ,

all of the advice you have recived is comeing from great members with alot of yrs of experience with hayabusa's and i hope that you can take from that and have your bike sorted out ,

all the best
BK
(26-07-2010, 09:04am)big kev Wrote: Falco

i have been reading this thread from start mate and all though im not a GENII owner i am a busa owner i understand how frustrated your feeling , IMHO you should take the bike to another dealership and get a 2nd opinion take the recipt and show them whats been done and get a 2nd opinion , on the other point about the oil not being its amber colour , once you have drained the oil there is still a residue of the old used oil inside the engine and unless you drop the sump and clean the engine of all the old oil your new oil is going to be a little discoloured due to mixing with the old oil , as for the chain issue i have had new chains strech from new and have spoken to bike mechanics from all feilds and have been advised that this within the normal peramaters of chains ,

all of the advice you have recived is comeing from great members with alot of yrs of experience with hayabusa's and i hope that you can take from that and have your bike sorted out ,

all the best
BK

Thanks BigKev for your considered and kind remarks. I take on board the oil discolouration when mixed with left over oil.
Also the chain stretch is conceivable, but considering it's only done 285km since leaving the shop and I did not flog the bike whilst loaded with a ton of bricks, that amount of stretch seems to me, to be compatible with bad/careless axle-nut torque after adjustment. It's not rocket science, just plain "do what the book specifies" and I'm afraid perhaps these guys threw away the book and just made it up.
I KNOW there is a HUGE CONFIDENCE in this motorcycle. But like most things, it's human error that does the damage in most cases.
To their (slight) credit, the front desk man(acting manager I think) after reading my email(this morning), phoned me immediately at 7.50am. He sounded quite concerned and genuine and will come out to see the bike or pick it up to go back to the shop. Most likely he will top up the oil and say "let's see what happens now..." and leave it at that.
It still leaves me with a "I can't trust them" feeling. I will definitely consider taking the bike to be maintained by Roger Hayes, a mature man with excellent reputation both as a Racer and Mechanic. Recommended most highly by someone I know who had been going to him for quite some time now.
FP
Conclusion:
The service manager took my email seriously and made it his personal business to come and check the bike. He put in approx 500cc from a new bottle of VSX and fully agreed that the level was far too low. I accepted his apologies as he was genuinely sorry on behalf of the culprits.
FP
i've had the same problems with the same dealer which is clearly identified in the OP. i would describe them most accurately as 'disgraceful', but no worse than other dealerships. I have purchased b-kings and 1400s from here, and that was great, but servicing is another matter. Before finding my own senior mechanic, i would regularly have to readjust the rear wheel alignment and chain after each service. it had been hopelessly tampered with each time.

when i quizzed them on their alignment issues, they claimed they used a jig which was more accurate. i told them that their jig was obviously useless on all of my bikes.

since finding a genuine pro mechanic/owner/racer, the difference is night and day. the stress levels are reduced to virtually zero, as i dont have time to do my own bike. i speak to the owner/mechanic before and after, and sometimes during each service or modification, get his advice on EVERYTHING, ride in and ride out without notice re any issues or diagnostics. paying an extra few bucks is totally irrelevant to me, as my bike keeps me alive quite often. like i've said before, i wouldn't get my bike done at the dealerships if they actually paid me.

in a bike world bursting at the seams with incomparable BS, ill-advice and charlatans, these blokes are the real deal. Startline, Moss St, Brisbane. i'm not sure if/how much more expensive they are, but i know that if i can't afford their services, i can't afford to ride a bike.

(you know its a bad bad sign when a service manager claims that shell vsx4 is a fully synthetic oil)
I personally will not take my bikes to a dealership or other mechanics for general servicing and most repairs (unless under warranty as then it's free) as i like to and have the ability to tinker at home

a good idea for those that can, is to read the owners manual and buy yourselves a workshop manual and do the basic stuff (oil and filter changes, chain adjustments, etc) yourself using top quality or genuine parts
or when you get your bike to your trusted mechanic, ask if you can watch and learn. you'll find most of them more than accommodating in this regard.

saves you dollars and you learn about and get to love your bike on a more intermate level
an independant mechanic is also more likely to point out any warranty issues which Suzuki would otherwise 'let slip'. they'll vouch for you and tell you how to best approach Suzuki with the issue.
The BOTTOM LINE is that after coming out to my place and seeing the problem as genuine, (not in my imagination or fantasy) the head coach opened a new can of VSX and topped it up. Gave me the rest.
I later tipped the remainder into a calibrated plastic bottle registering 400cc left out of a 1L bottle. That means about 600cc went into my engine.
At that time, the oil that got poured in showed at the window, looked exactly as it came out of the bottle, light honey AMBER because it had not yet mixed with the rest of the 3L that was there.
This morning after a test run, obviously the oil got mixed up and the oil in the window now looks like coffee coloured.
In my experience, just doing 285km on that initial 3L, IF INDEED it was NEW OIL was not enough km's to get it to go from Amber to coffee coloured. This is the question, did they even bothered with putting new oil in?
If JUST THE FILTER was changed, without prior filling it up with oil and with the intention of running the engine and then topping it up...(something that never got done) that would be a plausible explanation.
Just changing the filter and replacing it would deplete the engine of about 600cc I think, if this was infact what happened.
This is not concrete facts but I do expect the head-coach to pin point and get to the EXACT reason as to what happened. Sadly no concrete findings were forthcoming. A offer was made, "free oil and filter next time...". Well, maybe I already paid for it and didn't get it this time!
Just holding it together, (suppose it WAS the front caliper service!!)
FP.
Just vote with your feet Falco....don't go back there.....maybe ask members for recommendations in your area?
(27-07-2010, 12:05pm)FalcoPerigri Wrote: (suppose it WAS the front caliper service!!)
FP.

thats EXACTLY what i was about to say. wait till they bleed / do your brakes. wooooohooooo!!!!

they never changed your oil.

get the hell away from that place and get that filthy grubby oil out.
The final word in this sorry saga is that I took it to be inspected R and S Hayes, both Qld champs, who's experience and expertise have been legendary to those who know. I can feel at ease now, after many sleepless nights because the job has been done correctly. No, the oil in the engine did not look like it was 6000km old which meant that the OC had been done.
So that just left the failure to top up to the correct level... PLUS also not noticing a chunk has been taken out of my front tyre, the size of a 5 cent piece, right on the shoulder which at speed, may cause a blow-out. I am now completely convinced that it is a priviledge to have my bike serviced and tested by Roger and Scot, not to mention my appreciation for what they have done in what amounted to hardly any notice at all...
So thank you gentlemen!
FP