RTA Tageting Un-Register Vehicle
They have been doing that for ages out our way,
Its just a PR gimmick to show how nice they think they are, with there left hand on it ,
More likely its to take the heat of the speed & red light camera crap that is going on at the moment Nerd
Same thing happening in Canberra and has been for a while. I don't agree with speed cameras, as far as I'm concerned they do not serve the purpose we are told they do. I DO like this though, if it isn't safe enough to register, then get the hell of the road with the bad tyres and brakes!
(27-08-2010, 08:53pm)Heidi1 Wrote: Same thing happening in Canberra and has been for a while. I don't agree with speed cameras, as far as I'm concerned they do not serve the purpose we are told they do. I DO like this though, if it isn't safe enough to register, then get the hell of the road with the bad tyres and brakes!

Recently the AFP has been parking the RAPID recognition cars on the side of the road. The camera scans every number plate that goes past, it checks, registration and CTP status, status of registered owner/s - licenced? Warrants? Suspended or disqualified etc. Then several hundred yards up the road and before any side streets will be the catch team who will grab the guilty party as they approach. Very effective.

They've also started parking the camera car - a vividly marked up Police Pursuit car with the camera trained on the rear end of all the vehicles so they get to inspect the motorcyclists as well. Very efficient.

What does give people the shits of late, has been the AFP traffic branch screening all cars on any one of the major thoroughfares and performing breath tests along with warrant and licence checks during the peak hour. Traffic snarles up really badly at very short notice and makes everyone late for work.

They publish the results and have a high rate of catching people not complying with licencing and registration requirements.
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
Do they check every number plate? The earlier post made it sound like they only check the plates of cars that have been caught speeding. I'm in favour of this more than grabbing points and money from low-level speeding.
Carpe Diem!