Pirelli Angel ST
I have had a set on for about the last 2,500k's. Conti raod attacks were on the bike when i bought it. The conti's where about 30% used but for the remainder of their life, the bike squiggled about when pushed. I got 7,000 k's out of them. The ST's have been absolutely great. Even 2up for a serious blast, they have not wondered off line unless i have hit a white line or reflector or surface blemish. The rear is starting to square off, but with a more tame approach to commuting, they should get 10,000k's. One up against an '05 R1 with a similarly weighted person aboard and 2CT's on, I have been able to hold my own to the point of seeing him leave black lines out of turns, but i am still there. The weight of the busa is a hinderance in tighter corners. Doen'st matter what rubber you have. But I am very happy with the grip offered at lean angles, and with the k's i believe I may get from them. Will see how they endure.
Got mine put on late Friday afternoon and have managed to put 80km on them so far with what free time I have had . I have to say that I am very impressed. Especially with how I can feel the tyre wearing in and the responsiveness when tipping in is far superior to the Bridgestone Battlax tyres that came with my Busa. Should be taking them for a quick blast from Tamworth to Walcha with a few mates at the end of this week. Hopefully they don't disappoint, but I am very conscious of some lack of performance in these tyres on twisty stuff.
I have a Angel ST on the front and a Dunlop Sportmax 190/55X17
on the rear.
I had these on when I did the Tathra run,no problems with the front or rear.
I do run my pressures on the low side.
I also try and give them time to warm up as I was warned the st's are not good cold.
I recently spoke to a Busa owner who was a little dissapointed that he only got 15 000 km
from his set of angel st tyres.
He is a quick rider,smooth,not too much of the sideways stuff out of the corners.
Personally so far I like the Angel st.
Especially since I got it at 1/2 price from a shop that was closing down.
But as everyone keeps insisting busa's don't handle
I am not sure if my busa is or isn't handling.
I just put them on after having pilot road 2's and while its sold now i hated them took they broke out all over the place.
I have had two ST rears first one got 10000k second one nearly 9000 they have been great and don't understand any handling criticism, the only thing about rear as it gets near wear marks is the remaining tread quickly disappears like about 200ks to see zipper. I had to get Pilot Road 2 in Morree cos it was only 190 tyre they had it does not handle power like the ST even in straight line as it will wheelspin whereas the ST would pick up front in first three gears when giving it some. The ST front lacked feel to me but that is my opinion it never really let me down I prefer and currently have softer Conti Sport Attack on front which just drops in to corners and I feel a lot more confident in. Have had Bridgestone BT015, 016 (too soft), PP2CT, PP2R, Angel ST on rear the ST is the only one of these I would buy again. Pi_thumbsup
I've got about 2,500km on my ST's now and, while I'm no guru on such things, I'm reasonably happy with them. I am no longer bothered by wet road conditions anymore because these tyres allow for very generous lean angles no matter how hard the rain comes pouring down. Even the occasional scattering of gravel at some intersections doesn't worry me now. However...

There are some issues with handling that I've noticed and this might be what the more skillful riders have complaints about. (I use my Hayabusa as a commuter as well as weekender) Firstly, the tyres do take a little while to warm up enough to really chuck the big girl around. Secondly, while the initial tip in is crisp and precise, until the tyres are warmed up control gets a little erratic at some of the lower speeds as you lean further over. Hard to describe, but it almost feels like the bike wants to chase it's own tail. Thirdly, you really have to be on the ball with keeping the right amount of air in your tyres, especially the front tyre. You only need to be down as little as 2psi in the front and you can really see stability and performance become compromised.

Overall, I actually do really like these tyres. I bought them because I ride 17km to work rain, hail or shine and therefore wanted something that was better in poor weather and had good mileage. These are fantastic in the wet and I've been told I can easily expect 10,000km+ from them. And despite the criticisms I've mentioned above, once warmed up they are more than capable with anything I can throw at them because I just don't have the confidence to ride a Hayabusa anywhere near the limits of it's ability. In all, these are a great all round tyre that should never see a racetrack.
Very good evaluation Tristo and it agrees with what my mate from work (riding VFR) said about them. For an everyday commuting these are just about the best tires specially on the wet. But avoid them if you are planning a quick run through twisty road as they are a bit unpredictable and seem to wiggle the tail a lot out of corners.
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Thanks Shifu. :)
Ive got these on my GSX1400 and am still not to sure about them, I agree with them needing to be warm, I have felt them move around a bit when cold. I wont be replacing them with another set once worn out. I only got them as the bike came with a new front and needed a rear. I dont do many k's so grip and quick turn in is more important to me.
I just put a pair of these on after the recommendation from the dealer whose oppinion I respect but after reading this thread ScaryI will have to take the big girl out and try these tyres out. If there shit then I just wasted my money as I will through them out because I want a tyre you can depend on when you need it. Wish I had of read this before I got the tyresIdiot2. Lesson learnt.
(14-01-2011, 06:39pm)John Wrote:
(14-01-2011, 05:52pm)Tristo Wrote: tyre that will see 12,000-15,000km

Who gets 15,000km out of a set of tyres??? What do they whom get 15,000km inflate their tyres to 50+psi? Or maybe you all ride like girls and should be riding a Harley... Pi_tongue

I'm lucky to get 4,000km out of a set of tyres, but I don't buy tyres for longevity. I buy tyres that will give me confidence no matter how I choose to ride. I don't think that looking for longevity is the best way to look at tyres, we didn't buy a Busa for fuel economy, so why would you buy tyres that sacrifice grip and safety for economy?

I got 17000 out of a pilot power rear- it was easy on a 1 point licence although the blokes in blue insisted that I get a new one in the end, Norvin
(09-10-2010, 08:08pm)ROD Wrote: Has anyone tried a set of these Pirelli Angel ST in the performance set ?
hey rod did you end up trying the angels? my mate rates them highly and more so in the wet, i'm tossing up as i have BT016's and love them but the front went before the rear which ive never had happen before

Too Weird to Live Too Rare to Die
Wow I'm amazed at the High KM's some of you are getting out of your tyres .

I run Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro on my KTM690SMC Motard & I'm lucky to get even 4000km out of them , but great tyre & super sticky !!

I'm not sure what to get for my Busa but grip is the most important factor to me over mileage .
[Image: HayabusaSmall.jpg]
(04-12-2011, 02:26am)bRoWnEyE Wrote: Wow I'm amazed at the High KM's some of you are getting out of your tyres .

I run Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro on my KTM690SMC Motard & I'm lucky to get even 4000km out of them , but great tyre & super sticky !!

I'm not sure what to get for my Busa but grip is the most important factor to me over mileage .

Don't worry Mate I've just done our little Sth West Run here in WA and had a set of Avon VP2 SuperSports on and the rear had to be replaced when I got back not quite 2000ks. Lol3
I have to admit that I was very impressed with them bloody nice tyre especially if you're going to do track days.
I just put one of these on the rear of my KTM690SMC for Winter so I'm curious to see how they go while commuting each day ??
The Plan is to switch back to the Diablo Rosso Corsa for summer & hills Very Happy
[Image: HayabusaSmall.jpg]