What do insuters classify as an accident?
Hey,

I just got a call today to say that the 2011 Busa's have landed, and I should be able to pick mine up in less than two weeks (can't wait!). So I've started looking round for insurance... woah!

Now I've never been involved with any serious accidents, but about 1 1/2 years ago a car rammed me from behind as we were taking off from the lights. I managed to keep her upright and pulled over a little ways down the road to exchange details - there was just about no damage to my bike as we were in a turn lane and he's wacked my swingarm, but I did manage to rubberise and rip into his panels nicely with my tire Very Happy. (sorry, I'll get to the point)...

The guy who hit me put in a claim with his insurance, they called me once to ask about the incident and then it all went away... When going for my new insurance, and they ask "in the last 5 years have you had any accidents", does something like that count?

I'd love to know what you all think.

Thanks.
The wording 'any accidents' is exactly that. If it said 'any at fault accidents' you would obviously say no.

Some insurers/policies will specificaly ask for both 'at fault' and 'not at fault', but most are concerned more with any claims you have made in the past 5 years that you were the party to blame.
(23-11-2010, 09:08pm)Ratsack Wrote: Hey,

I just got a call today to say that the 2011 Busa's have landed, and I should be able to pick mine up in less than two weeks (can't wait!). So I've started looking round for insurance... woah!

Now I've never been involved with any serious accidents, but about 1 1/2 years ago a car rammed me from behind as we were taking off from the lights. I managed to keep her upright and pulled over a little ways down the road to exchange details - there was just about no damage to my bike as we were in a turn lane and he's wacked my swingarm, but I did manage to rubberise and rip into his panels nicely with my tire Very Happy. (sorry, I'll get to the point)...

The guy who hit me put in a claim with his insurance, they called me once to ask about the incident and then it all went away... When going for my new insurance, and they ask "in the last 5 years have you had any accidents", does something like that count?

I'd love to know what you all think.

Thanks.

Tell 'em no and see what happens.
(23-11-2010, 09:59pm)CeeJay07 Wrote: Tell 'em no and see what happens.

Right up until there is an accident, a claim is made, they check their shared databases, and go "you lied, haha, no insurance, thanks for your cash sucker?" I personally know enough insurance adjusters to know not to lie.

The only person that loses is you. Instead, specifically ask what they mean by "accidents", including at fault, not your fault, or even ones you weren't there. It's best that you dot the I and cross the T, because as I said, the only person that loses is you.

After all, it could be a very nice Lambo Gallardo you run into by mistake. Have you see the price on the bumpers for those things?
(23-11-2010, 11:36pm)evilRasp Wrote:
(23-11-2010, 09:59pm)CeeJay07 Wrote: Tell 'em no and see what happens.

Right up until there is an accident, a claim is made, they check their shared databases, and go "you lied, haha, no insurance, thanks for your cash sucker?" I personally know enough insurance adjusters to know not to lie.

The only person that loses is you. Instead, specifically ask what they mean by "accidents", including at fault, not your fault, or even ones you weren't there. It's best that you dot the I and cross the T, because as I said, the only person that loses is you.

After all, it could be a very nice Lambo Gallardo you run into by mistake. Have you see the price on the bumpers for those things?

Good call, and thanks for your advice. Yeah I was going to ask, but initially when I rang up to get a quote over the phone, I instantly said no. But then later on I was thinking about it and that incident came to mind, so I just thought that I'd shoot everyone a Q on here.

Thanks again.

Ross.
I would say that I had no accident, but if asked specificly,was involved in an incident..did your premiums or excess change as a result ??
I'm with EvilRasp. Tell em everything. If you have a claim, a typical insuranc company will do anything they can not to pay out. So if you have not disclosed the slightest little thing, they can say "NO".
Hey everyone, I've just been ringing around to get some quotes and asked each one about it. Because it was a not at fault incident and I didn't put in any claim then they don't worry about it. But I think you're all right regarding asking/telling about it, as insurers will try to find any reason to wriggle out of cover.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Ross.