No PPE wearing CBD scooter riders
Hey everyone,

I work in melb CBD and over the last two years have seen a steady increase in office people who think it's hip to own a scooter etc, try and filter like they've been riding for 20 yrs, and an absolute min if any I ever see are wearing any PPE! It makes me so angry! Is this the next future wave of stats waiting to happen or what? Are they going to ruin it for us all through lack of education? Should riding gear be a law? I mean it's fairly easy to get your L's (in vic), and if they learn through stacks.....

I'd like to hear what it's like in other CBD's, and some general thoughts-I can't be the only one thinking this can I?

That's my whinge, thanks for reading.
With the hot weather there seems to be an abundance of riders and pillons of both scooters and motorcycles that lack riding PPE. Gotta love the shorts, singlets and thongs. Idiot2
Kathy
Rear half of 2000 Red/Grey Busa Smitten
Rear half of 2010 Red BMW K1300 GT Smitten
(01-02-2011, 06:06pm)BabyBusa Wrote: With the hot weather there seems to be an abundance of riders and pillons of both scooters and motorcycles that lack riding PPE. Gotta love the shorts, singlets and thongs. Idiot2

If it get's some of the Idiot's out of the gene pool, who care's.

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
As long as they carry bandaids they should be ok Idiot2
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
There a lot of novices out there that get on these things unprotected with little visibility for clothing. I was sad to see a novice learner pull out of a service station in Forestville out my way into an oncoming car. There's gotta be more education with these things. There is a scooter shop in Brookvale that is selling these minature retro bikes for on road use and they sit pretty low, I can can see where this is all gonna end up and bounce back on everyone that rides a bike. Insurance and road levies will go up again.
Their choice mate. Not ours, nor the states'.
Yeah, you gotta love the office worker scooter freaks.Coffee

I commute each day on the busa, wear full dririder gear with padding, gloves, boots, etc, get changed into my work shoes and shite, when I turn up to the office.

I'd rather be a little HOT,Scary Then have road rash or be asking my partner to wipe my ass,Pi_freak cause all the skin on my hands is f$%$kd after coming off with no gloves.Pi_freak

KEVLAR SUNSCREEN.......... The scooter riders skin protection for the 21st century.!Lol3 $12.99 at Woolworths with the newer version 30+SPF Sports.Lol3
Working in the CBD over the past few years, I see em all. The ones that get me laughing the most are the young females wearing a dress they can't keep down, thongs and full face helmet.

Interestingly enough, I have never seen a single motorcyclist come off in the CBD, but I've seen countless scooter riders bite the bitumen hard.
The Woman and I were in Sydney last weekend and 95% of the riders we saw were wearing singlets and Tshirts, shorts and jeans. Got back to melbourne on sunday and 95% of the riders we saw were wearing jackets and jeans. Left sydney in 28 deg C and arrived melbourne in 38 deg C.
Woman,where's my wallet?
And whats for tea?
Brisbane's the same.

While getting my bike from the car-park yesterday. A woman had parked her scooter next to me. She's obviously selling it to the Asian guy with her. She's telling him how to get it off the ctr stand & how to start it.
I made comment & said "has anyone ever told you not to ride in the middle of the lane because of the oil & crap from the car engines?" the woman looked at me & said "gee what a good idea, I never thought of that".
The guy just looked off into the distance. Not sure if he could understand English.
(02-02-2011, 07:52am)Louwai Wrote: I made comment & said "has anyone ever told you not to ride in the middle of the lane because of the oil & crap from the car engines?" the woman looked at me & said "gee what a good idea, I never thought of that".
The guy just looked off into the distance. Not sure if he could understand English.

LOL

If I only ever give one piece of advice to noobs, it's always been: "Suspect everyone (especially yourself) is trying to kill you, and you'll probably live".
This thread would be about people like braniac here.... LOL

[Image: helmet.jpg]

at least she tried I suppose
Chopper says - "Harden the f*** up Australia"
Trophy Wear open face helmets! Make yourself pretty!! Trophy

[Image: TheWreck.jpg]
[Image: busted_edited2.jpg]
[Image: hallofpain.jpg]

LOL, the face of winners Clap
(02-02-2011, 09:12am)sutur Wrote:
(02-02-2011, 07:52am)Louwai Wrote: I made comment & said "has anyone ever told you not to ride in the middle of the lane because of the oil & crap from the car engines?" the woman looked at me & said "gee what a good idea, I never thought of that".

LOL

If I only ever give one piece of advice to noobs, it's always been: "Suspect everyone (especially yourself) is trying to kill you, and you'll probably live".

I was given the same advice that Everyones out to knock you off and every second I'm on the bike think that thought. It takes more energy thinking for everyone else, but I'd never forgive myself for a laps in judgment. Melb roads have the most dangerous roads I've ever seen in this country- 80% of drivers only think of themselves here. And what's a blind spot-that's what mirrors are for right?? Trust no one.
That's another thing-how many knobs on bikes do you see sitting in vehicles blind spots?! Let a car take that gap in front of you, you'll get it back, but maybe not your life if you get side swiped. There needs to be so much more rider (and driver) education. Dumb arses are everywhere, you'll never avoid them in any walk of life...
(02-02-2011, 12:28pm)m8ee Wrote: This thread would be about people like braniac here.... LOL

[Image: helmet.jpg]

at least she tried I suppose

you would have to wonder if she brought a pair of chaps Pi_freak
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com