ZX12R VS Hayabusa
I bought one when they came out from peter stevens but only lasted for 6 months,the power delivery is great but i found that the fuel tank was too close to my chest(5"10)for some reason and the ride wasn't comfortable.
We/I went to PIsland 5 months into the purchase and while I was there we swapped bikes,Im not the best track rider so i took it easy especially with someone else's bike,SOLD on the Busa,got rid of the ZX 3weeks later.
(10-04-2011, 01:50pm)CarbonBusa Wrote:
(10-04-2011, 12:25pm)pan Wrote: 11 years on the debate continues...

I'm interested in hearing from people who have owned both or ridden both. I'm interested in hearing from people who have ridden either one on a race track (not just drag strip).

Not interested in hearing (too many) biased opinions...

Not interested in hearing red-necks mouth-off telling anyone who challenges them or disagrees with them to ram it up their arse.

Post links to videos if you like.

Let's keep it civil.
I actually have ridden both and love both.
Only ridden a Busa on the race track though.

MODERATORS, please delete the replies or the whole thread if it gets too out of hand...

The best one to get your hands on is the 2000 A1 Model as it is unrestricted & the one that knocked the Busa of it's perch Pi_tongue

This model had one serious recall for the Alternator Wire loom ~ Oil would feed its way up the loom & short out when it reached the Plug.

Never ridden one on the track but pushed a ZX12r around our playground a fair few times.

Power delivery feels different to the Busa ~ pulls like a frigging freight train especially at higher revs where the Busa eases off slightly & the 12 changes direction a little quicker but nothing worth writing home to Mum about

Both fantastic machines & I do not care which one I throw my leg over Very Happy
Hey carbon,
I am still waiting to try the difference Biker Yes
Personally do not have experience with ZX12 but took one for a trial ride when deciding on what to get to replace my old CBR. It felt good albeit a bit uncomfortable and I almost bought it. But then the dealer suggested I try the Busa. It was a second hand 2009 model (had nothing new in stock) and the moment I sat on it and got out of the gates I was in motorcycle heaven. The power was scary and I almost crashed into a dealer's shop window on the return (the breakes were very ordinary) but that was it for me. I ordered one on the spot - 4 weeks waiting for the new one, and went on holiday to Europe. It spoiled it for me really because all I thought about was when I am going to get back and go for a ride. It was like a magic. I am still in love with it and only pised off a bit that didn't get it quicker.
The choices or preferences are very personal and always will be. The best bike is what you think it is. Biker
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Here's a nice little video/download (115MB) for those unfamiliar with "Mach 3"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...5443208591#
(12-04-2011, 08:19pm)pan Wrote: Here's a nice little video/download (115MB) for those unfamiliar with "Mach 3"

Good video Pan, i'm surprised there have been no comments Lol3
Isn't it Ironic that my Favourite Stretch of Tarmac is called C.O.P. Eek
It's an oldie CB. Much of this stuff has been discussed before... Most are interested in the Gen 2 VS zx14 debate these days...
I have rode my bro's fully modded ZX 12 with big bore engine and etc.I have my own hayabusa which i have rode for more thsn six years the same old one.DO NOTE Zx 12 is a sport bike,where else a Hayabusa is a sport tourer.

Zx 12 torque and mid range is stronger due to its lighter weight and the rear sprocket size.Its huge.
A Hayabusa will win the Zx 12 at top speed thats for sure.

Hayabusa will win at the drag strip eventually.
Zx 12 will win at the track thanks to its shorter wheelbase,torque and mid punch
I owned a 2000 ZX12R for a few years before I sold it to my brother and bought a K3 busa.

The ZX12R just had a PCIII, pipe and filter. It was a fantastic bike. I found it a little slow to turn even with a smaller 190 tyre on the back (200 is stock). I dropped the front a little through the tripple clamps and it made a world of difference. A bonus was I could finally reach the ground as it's a very tall bike.
Unlike the busa where it feels like you're sitting in the bike, the ZX12R feels like you're sitting on top of it.

Brakes were the next thing. I felt they were lacking compared to how quick it went. Good set of pads and braided lines soon fixed that. Handling wise I wouldn't say it's much better than the busa. They feel very different but to me they both handle very well.

Fuel consumption was a problem. It's a thirsty bike and only runs on Premium or better.

Comfort was not good, but much improved with a set of heli-bars but seats on those bikes are terrible.

Power is great. Down low the busa feels a LOT stronger but once you wind it up, the 12 felt faster than the busa.
I bought it with 12k on the clock and got rid of it with around 60k. I found it extremely reliable as nothing ever went wrong with it. Just did the usual oil changes and I changed the chain / sprockets once.

The busa suits me much better. More comfortable, lower bike, better low end performance and much better on fuel. My only criticism with the busa are the brakes. By far the worst brakes I've ever experienced on a modern bike.
The first mod I did was fit braided lines and better pads. This made a massive improvement but only about as good as standard ZX12R brakes which I found average. Better rotors are next on my list.

Unfortunately my busa is about as reliable as a Kia, but hopefully that will be resolved once I finish rebuilding the engine. Hoping to be back on the road within a month.
I've had a 12 sat here for a few weeks,
bought it back from the Gold Coast for a Mate.

They are a little different to a Busa but not that far apart in my eye's.
The good side is they dont have the Busa's cult appeal and its kept
the prices down. I could have had this one for $5,500 last week.
( 05 with 45,000k's, few extra's and new Jacket, Gloves, Arai lid etc )
Possibly less for cash if i'd been interested.

[Image: zx12r.jpg]

Remind's me, must give it a run tommorrow.

(12-04-2011, 08:19pm)pan Wrote: Here's a nice little video/download (115MB) for those unfamiliar with "Mach 3"

Well I have not seen before but a wild ride alright seems I have made a lot of wrong assumptions as clip undoubtedly shows
ZX12 quicker than Busa in straight line
ZX12 quicker in top gear roll on
ZX12 higher top speed
Busa quicker than Blackbird which is quicker than ZX12 through twisties

I would have said the opposite to all of that!

(28-06-2011, 10:36pm)alpal Wrote:

Well I have not seen before but a wild ride alright seems I have made a lot of wrong assumptions as clip undoubtedly shows
ZX12 quicker than Busa in straight line
ZX12 quicker in top gear roll on
ZX12 higher top speed
Busa quicker than Blackbird which is quicker than ZX12 through twisties

I would have said the opposite to all of that!

I had a bit of a chat with a ZX12 owner this week. He'd had a bit done on the bike's top end and a PC. He showed me the dyno report after the PC tune. I forget the dyno brand and I know its all relative, but his showed 196 at the rear wheel.

But then again, its still not a Busa!

(23-04-2011, 08:17am)CarbonBusa Wrote:

Good video Pan, i'm surprised there have been no comments Lol3

Here's a comment:
Bunch of knob gobblers that make Sam McLachlan sound smart.
Government certified carpet muncherDrool