Servicing frequency

Does anyone think that the 6000 km servicing is overkill? I know that its important to have clean oil and filters and proper adjustments but why is it that other makes eg Ducati (Multisrada) and Triumph (Sprint) have services at 10,000km? Is the Busa a dirtier engine or is it just to keep the mechanics in business? I am doing about 1500 km/ month so each 6 k service comes up in about 4 months and at approx $300 it is quite costly. Perhaps I will have to service it myself just as I used to with previous bikes before I got lazy. Out of interest - who services their bikes and what is the degree of difficulty (eg taking the plastic bits off, etc). I am thinking that I could do the minor service (6k) myself and put it into the workshop for the major service (12k) to save a few bucks. UndecidedGlenn
(25-07-2011, 10:39pm)Busagen2 Wrote:

Does anyone think that the 6000 km servicing is overkill? I know that its important to have clean oil and filters and proper adjustments but why is it that other makes eg Ducati (Multisrada) and Triumph (Sprint) have services at 10,000km? Is the Busa a dirtier engine or is it just to keep the mechanics in business? I am doing about 1500 km/ month so each 6 k service comes up in about 4 months and at approx $300 it is quite costly. Perhaps I will have to service it myself just as I used to with previous bikes before I got lazy. Out of interest - who services their bikes and what is the degree of difficulty (eg taking the plastic bits off, etc). I am thinking that I could do the minor service (6k) myself and put it into the workshop for the major service (12k) to save a few bucks. UndecidedGlenn

Servicing ??? what's that? Pi_freak

I change the oil and filter every 5000, and also before any big trip.
Oil is cheap insurance!
Read what's to be done and do it yourself - at least you'll know it's been done! and done properly with care.

Have a browse around here, there is all the info you'll need to take the plastics off, or if you like to watch . . . some step by step instructions on U-tube.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
I use to change my oil and other minor stuff i.e. Brakes etc when i use to put KM like you, its simple and you get to know your bike better. I bought the 20l oil can from Kawasaki (Ray) and each one lasted me for more then a year.

There is lot of help on this forum, many great members who will help you with ideas incase you get stuck.

Now i dont ride much so its different story
My 04 Red LTD, i use to change oil every 2000 miles.
on my M109R i used to do my own oil and filter but with the busa i get the dealer to do all the work just incase something goes wrong in the motor and its all on the dealers computer that the services have been done,
SPEED ISN,T EVERYTHING BUT IT SURE IS FUN.
Hi,

I suppose first is who would do the servicing like what motorcycle shop. My last service was done down in Sydney with my K8 White LTD. and when I got home and did some checking I found some plugs broken and a few other things that I fixed my self. Also when out on the road when stopped at the lights smoke was come out the front. So what I found was they had never clead the oil off the exh/pipes and that was ware the smoke was coming from. I did think it was on fire. From that day I did all my own work and much help through the forum be reading some of the info you can get here. I sold that Busa and now thanks to my doctor I can ride again and bought a hayabusa again. and will do my servicing my self, if I feel that some thing is to hard or it would be better to have it done by a cycle mechanic.
here is the Utube for removing the right side flearing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpn61RAlt6E
also when you have removed the flearing before you put it back on buy some rubber grease and put a little on all the rubber grommet that the hooks go through and on the hooks, because you will find it so easy to remove the flearing next time. Buy your self the oil filter wrench from your Suzuki dealer and the oil you want to use.
Thanks John
If you like your bike then you should take care of it yourself. It is not a brain surgery do do a simple service and few checks. There is plenty of information here and plenty experienced and willing members to help you if you get stuck. I do not want to bag the service guys at the dealers but many (myself including) had a bad experience with them. And as a bonus you will learn about what your driving and understand your bike better. That will make you a better rider as well. Pi_thumbsup
The servicing frequency in your book is only a guide line really. It all depends on where and how you ride, what oil and filters you using etc. Most of us probably overservice our busas because, lets admit it, we like to tinker with them and can not resist it Pi_tongue
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"

Totally agree Glen, seems excessive when u go from one extreme say a BMW high reving sports car which needs servicing every 15,000km to the Busa at 6,000km. I probably don't ride my bike like it's designed, ie flat out. Normally I ride it steady with some hard acceleration only rarely. Due to trying to keep my license. I change oil at 10,000km by myself and just put bike in for 30,000km service for full oils, battery, spark plugs, rear tyre ect and this was not at Suzuki. Saved approx $600. Suzuki in Mackay wanted $200 just for engine oil change. I do use Motul 7100 and found it good so far.
Hope this helps.
sinkqinise t bodies. clean the build up in breaver hose . clean injetion brake f . coulent . oil . $550 and i felt the diferance at 18000
I'm sorry but I think I need a translator for that last one!!!!

Changing you oil is never over kill especially if it getting dirty
If you know how often some of us change ours at the drags you would be shocked (some a few kms some a 50-100 kms)
some a few kms

(26-07-2011, 02:21pm)piperjon Wrote: Hi,

I suppose first is who would do the servicing like what motorcycle shop. My last service was done down in Sydney with my K8 White LTD. and when I got home and did some checking I found some plugs broken and a few other things that I fixed my self. Also when out on the road when stopped at the lights smoke was come out the front. So what I found was they had never clead the oil off the exh/pipes and that was ware the smoke was coming from. I did think it was on fire. From that day I did all my own work and much help through the forum be reading some of the info you can get here. I sold that Busa and now thanks to my doctor I can ride again and bought a hayabusa again. and will do my servicing my self, if I feel that some thing is to hard or it would be better to have it done by a cycle mechanic.
here is the Utube for removing the right side flearing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpn61RAlt6E
also when you have removed the flearing before you put it back on buy some rubber grease and put a little on all the rubber grommet that the hooks go through and on the hooks, because you will find it so easy to remove the flearing next time. Buy your self the oil filter wrench from your Suzuki dealer and the oil you want to use.
Thanks John, the video is really useful. Glenn

(26-07-2011, 03:54pm)Shifu Wrote: If you like your bike then you should take care of it yourself. It is not a brain surgery do do a simple service and few checks. There is plenty of information here and plenty experienced and willing members to help you if you get stuck. I do not want to bag the service guys at the dealers but many (myself including) had a bad experience with them. And as a bonus you will learn about what your driving and understand your bike better. That will make you a better rider as well. Pi_thumbsup
The servicing frequency in your book is only a guide line really. It all depends on where and how you ride, what oil and filters you using etc. Most of us probably overservice our busas because, lets admit it, we like to tinker with them and can not resist it Pi_tongue

Thanks, so to get to the oil filter do you remove the left or right fairing or both or can it be either? Glenn

For normal commuting any servicing above suzuki service intervals is a total waste imo. I am sure if you come to sell your ride in 5 years nobody will give you more for changing the oil early and in 5 years if you do 20K per year your Hayabusa will love you even if you change the oil every 12000 KMs. Save your money and enjoy the ride imo,

There are people who love there bikes and people who use and pass them on. Oil and filters are very cheap insurance, and why should you not look after the inside of your motor much better than you look after the inside of yourself? Just do it...
You are welcome just spend your money buy roses for your ride.
(26-07-2011, 11:35pm)BJK1 Wrote: There are people who love there bikes and people who use and pass them on. Oil and filters are very cheap insurance, and why should you not look after the inside of your motor much better than you look after the inside of yourself? Just do it...