Michelin Pilot Road 3 Info Please
Hey Guys (and Gals),

After reading posts on here (and doing a bit of research), I have decided to try the Pilot Road 3 on my Gen1. On ebay they are selling between $435 and $449 / Pair (plus postage). I got a price from my local bike shop (As I would rather keep my dollar local, and also help a bloke who is just starting out) but I think he tried telling me some porkies. He could only quote me for Road 2's (near enough to $600 fitted) but the concerning thing he tried to tell me is the "ebay" ones are American and are different to ours. He also said he had received an email from Michelin saying that Michelin would not offer any warranty on tyres bought through ebay as they have a different rating than Oz.

My questions are :-

1) Is the guy being truthful or is he being a typical salesman ?
2) Has anyone else bought road 3's (or any tyre for that matter) from ebay and are they ok ?
3) Where are the guys running road 3's buying theirs from and what sort of money are you paying ?

I also remember reading some posts on here where some guys were actually importing direct from the states, so again .. are yank tyres the same as ours or different. I find it hard to believe that tyre companies would make a special compound just for us aussies, but then again, I have been known to be wrong before (not often though Pi_tongue).

Any help / input / ideas would be greatly appreciated as my pirelli's are pretty well shagged.

Cheers .. Dale
Dale...

A set of Pilot Road 3's >>> $405 delivered to your door from Rocky Mountain ATV&MC.....couple that with a $50 charge for fitting BOTH tyres to the bike (BikeTeck, Bellambi) Pi_thumbsup

My local bike shops have been well and truly SCREWING me for YEARS.......well, they will screw me no more (....if i have any say in the matter)

No local bike shops that I know of will do a set of Mich. PR3's FITTED for that price ($455)....they lose!!! Pi_thumbsdown

Coolsmiley

btw....tyres are tyres.....the only difference is date of manufacture (from WHERE EVER you buy from) and type of storage they have been subject to....

ps: I'm sick of local bikeshop sales ppl trying to blow smoke up my arse as well!!!! Frown
A pair of Pilot Power 2CT, delivered to my door - $300 US.

The stuff about different tyres for Oz/US is bullshit.
(10-08-2011, 07:20pm)bazman Wrote: Dale...

A set of Pilot Road 3's >>> $405 delivered to your door from Rocky Mountain ATV&MC.....couple that with a $50 charge for fitting BOTH tyres to the bike (BikeTeck, Bellambi) Pi_thumbsup

My local bike shops have been well and truly SCREWING me for YEARS.......well, they will screw me no more (....if i have any say in the matter)

No local bike shops that I know of will do a set of Mich. PR3's FITTED for that price ($455)....they lose!!! Pi_thumbsdown

Coolsmiley

btw....tyres are tyres.....the only difference is date of manufacture (from WHERE EVER you buy from) and type of storage they have been subject to....

ps: I'm sick of local bikeshop sales ppl trying to blow smoke up my arse as well!!!! Frown

I was kinda hopin' I could trust this guy too ..

With Biketeck .. Do I need to remove the wheels myself ? or just take the old girl in there ?
Even for around the 450 mark your mech should sell and fit them for about 500 if you find a good bloke who's not a lying f&@k if you want to support your local bloke. 600 is not doing you any favors what so ever and they would do better than that for a bloke they like if they want you back...
Ok, Looking at Rocky Mountain Website. When I look at 190/50ZR-17 (73W) it doesn't show as fitting the busa. This is the correct rear isn't it ??
Because there not recommended for the Busa. There are few that are....
Set of MP3's from my local dealer $450, fitted!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Terry
(10-08-2011, 08:42pm)Dale Wrote: Ok, Looking at Rocky Mountain Website. When I look at 190/50ZR-17 (73W) it doesn't show as fitting the busa. This is the correct rear isn't it ??

Seems weird that the front is recommended, but not the rear! Biker
People are like turtles....... you don't move forward unless you stick your neck out!! Boobies4
(10-08-2011, 06:56pm)Dale Wrote: Hey Guys (and Gals),

After reading posts on here (and doing a bit of research), I have decided to try the Pilot Road 3 on my Gen1. On ebay they are selling between $435 and $449 / Pair (plus postage). I got a price from my local bike shop (As I would rather keep my dollar local, and also help a bloke who is just starting out) but I think he tried telling me some porkies. He could only quote me for Road 2's (near enough to $600 fitted) but the concerning thing he tried to tell me is the "ebay" ones are American and are different to ours. He also said he had received an email from Michelin saying that Michelin would not offer any warranty on tyres bought through ebay as they have a different rating than Oz.

My questions are :-

1) Is the guy being truthful or is he being a typical salesman ?
2) Has anyone else bought road 3's (or any tyre for that matter) from ebay and are they ok ?
3) Where are the guys running road 3's buying theirs from and what sort of money are you paying ?

I also remember reading some posts on here where some guys were actually importing direct from the states, so again .. are yank tyres the same as ours or different. I find it hard to believe that tyre companies would make a special compound just for us aussies, but then again, I have been known to be wrong before (not often though Pi_tongue).

Any help / input / ideas would be greatly appreciated as my pirelli's are pretty well shagged.

Cheers .. Dale

Just received a pair of Continental Motions from the USA $230 delivered
& have access to a tire fitting m/c & Balancer SWEET .Same ratings as here & look very similar to Avon storms & similar compound .Know blokes using them & Their Happy with the Grip when going Hard .My tire choice is guided by the blokes I ride with, who go Much harder than me. If they are happy with a tire,it will do me . Every one think's differently . One of our Bloke's Say's he wouldn't put Michelin's on if they were free but,you see bloke's on here raving about how good they are . I guess you Don't really know till you try . $600 is a bit of a big experiment for me & if the conti motion's ,which is one of their cheap arse tires,turn out as I hope ,I will have Halved my tire bill .The blokes on the gixer thou forum like them too .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
(10-08-2011, 08:42pm)Dale Wrote: Ok, Looking at Rocky Mountain Website. When I look at 190/50ZR-17 (73W) it doesn't show as fitting the busa. This is the correct rear isn't it ??

Nah mate, 55 profile is the one ya want Pi_thumbsup, although I've been told 50's will fit....Undecided

When I looked before, the PR3 (55 profile) was currently out of stock.....but I don't think it would take very long for them to re-stock it?!?

And that price at BikeTeck ($25 per tyre) is fitted TO THE BIKE!!! Ring 'em up and double-check the price....if they tell ya any different (ie: any higher), juz remind them I got my rear fitted for that price no more than 3 weeks ago....Pi_thumbsup

Coolsmiley
I have imported bridgestone BT016 tyres to compare the same tyres and there is a difference, There are 2 numbers different. One is the DOT. Which from web search is the date of manufacture. The other number I have not been able to find meaning for is as follows 016 faz T0703 is the imported number and 016 fsz T1006 is the local tyre while tyre is rated for bike which I will fit it to there is this number difference. I assume compound but can not confirm, tyre pattern etc is identical.
For bridgestone bt016 front and rear tyre $325 US delivered I think it is worth it. Both tyres were manufactured in Japan
I would not import and fit tyres if they are not rated for the motorcycle this would certainly be noted if you have an accident and maybe the cause.
Even $450 from a local is not too bad no body is going to run a business for nothing for the bridgestone here in the west $600 + so I am happy to give it a go will fit myself. Delivery from RM ATV was 6 days from order to my front door. Also from tracking could see progress every step of the way. Really was quite impressed by service and delivery.

(10-08-2011, 09:30pm)Diablo Wrote: Set of MP3's from my local dealer $450, fitted!!!!!!!!

I dont know of any differance with import tyre's , but i know there is no warranty on them , under australian law the importer of an item is deemed the manufacturer & must supply a warranty , so in the event of a crash if the tyre was found to be the cause good luck with insurance & you would probably be liable for any injuries & damage if others are involved , i know they are cheaper from the us i cant get them from the supplier's here in australia anywhere near what u can get them from the us , so be carefull blaming the local shops its more likley the importers having to carry the warranty and any other import crap they are slugged that is costing more so you can thank our elected in canberra.

Mark
(11-08-2011, 12:12am)Landmine Wrote: I have imported bridgestone BT016 tyres to compare the same tyres and there is a difference, There are 2 numbers different. One is the DOT. Which from web search is the date of manufacture. The other number I have not been able to find meaning for is as follows 016 faz T0703 is the imported number and 016 fsz T1006 is the local tyre while tyre is rated for bike which I will fit it to there is this number difference. I assume compound but can not confirm, tyre pattern etc is identical.
For bridgestone bt016 front and rear tyre $325 US delivered I think it is worth it. Both tyres were manufactured in Japan
I would not import and fit tyres if they are not rated for the motorcycle this would certainly be noted if you have an accident and maybe the cause.
Even $450 from a local is not too bad no body is going to run a business for nothing for the bridgestone here in the west $600 + so I am happy to give it a go will fit myself. Delivery from RM ATV was 6 days from order to my front door. Also from tracking could see progress every step of the way. Really was quite impressed by service and delivery.

According to Rocky Mountain ATV website bt016 rear isn't rated for the busa either, so I'm even more confused now.
Actually NO rear tyre is rated for the busa from what i can see Idiot2.
Wtf are we supposed to put on our bikes then ???
I only ride slow .. honest .. so PR2 or PR3 should be ok.
Pilot Road 3 rears are still out of stock, so I am going to go for the PR2's.
In this case I did not say I was going to use them on a Hayabusa only that they were rated for the bike I was going to fit them to.
(11-08-2011, 08:26am)Dale Wrote:
(11-08-2011, 12:12am)Landmine Wrote: I have imported bridgestone BT016 tyres to compare the same tyres and there is a difference, There are 2 numbers different. One is the DOT. Which from web search is the date of manufacture. The other number I have not been able to find meaning for is as follows 016 faz T0703 is the imported number and 016 fsz T1006 is the local tyre while tyre is rated for bike which I will fit it to there is this number difference. I assume compound but can not confirm, tyre pattern etc is identical.

According to Rocky Mountain ATV website bt016 rear isn't rated for the busa either, so I'm even more confused now.
Actually NO rear tyre is rated for the busa from what i can see Idiot2.
Wtf are we supposed to put on our bikes then ???
I only ride slow .. honest .. so PR2 or PR3 should be ok.
Pilot Road 3 rears are still out of stock, so I am going to go for the PR2's.