Fairing grills
My Busa is a 2010 and I am looking for some fairing grills that I can make from stainless steel. Can anyone give some ideas on where I can purchase the stainless steel from. I prefer that to the aluminium as the stainless steel will last longer.
Thanks heaps
Rosebusa
you can buy pre-shaped mesh online (check ebay, or google "hayabusa fairing mesh")
(12-08-2011, 11:09pm)KylieWA Wrote: My Busa is a 2010 and I am looking for some fairing grills that I can make from stainless steel. Can anyone give some ideas on where I can purchase the stainless steel from. I prefer that to the aluminium as the stainless steel will last longer.
Thanks heaps

Won't you be fitting crash bungs?

I think fairing grills look sick but bungs kind of f*** it up.
Like you I like the idea of SS and was thinking of making mine from it as well. You will have two problems - first they will be difficult to form as you need the wires about 0.5 mm dia and there is a lot of movement between the wires making it very difficult to get smooth surves. Second they do not make (or I could not find any) a mesh that woulod allow enough air flow as most of that product is for filtering applications. If you restrict the airflow too much, you might just cause some other problems.
The alloy ones (I got chromed ones) will last for years without any problem and their beauty is that they are made using an "expanded metal" method - series of slots are cut in a flat sheet that then is stretched out making the openings that are at an angle to the surface having good "masking" properties without restricting the airflow too much.

"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
(13-08-2011, 08:57am)sutur Wrote:
(12-08-2011, 11:09pm)KylieWA Wrote: My Busa is a 2010 and I am looking for some fairing grills that I can make from stainless steel. Can anyone give some ideas on where I can purchase the stainless steel from. I prefer that to the aluminium as the stainless steel will last longer.
Thanks heaps

Not sure what crash bungs are?????

(13-08-2011, 07:28am)CeeJay07 Wrote: you can buy pre-shaped mesh online (check ebay, or google "hayabusa fairing mesh")
I tried one place and they wanted $78 for postage, so wanted a cheaper and better option.

(13-08-2011, 11:47am)Shifu Wrote: Like you I like the idea of SS and was thinking of making mine from it as well. You will have two problems - first they will be difficult to form as you need the wires about 0.5 mm dia and there is a lot of movement between the wires making it very difficult to get smooth surves. Second they do not make (or I could not find any) a mesh that woulod allow enough air flow as most of that product is for filtering applications. If you restrict the airflow too much, you might just cause some other problems.
The alloy ones (I got chromed ones) will last for years without any problem and their beauty is that they are made using an "expanded metal" method - series of slots are cut in a flat sheet that then is stretched out making the openings that are at an angle to the surface having good "masking" properties without restricting the airflow too much.

Hi Shifu, thanks for that. My main reason is not so much for the cosmetic even though it looks good. I live semi rural so everytime I head out its on country roads and road trains. The bike and myself have had a few stone hits, they hurt and bruise and I concerned if they hit the pipes and split them, I am in trouble on the country roads and don't want to be stranded. I have thought of the airflow intakes and understand the need for that to be fluent.
Yours look magic. Where did you get yours from????
Rosebusa
(13-08-2011, 06:17pm)KylieWA Wrote:
Thanks heaps

(13-08-2011, 07:28am)CeeJay07 Wrote: you can buy pre-shaped mesh online (check ebay, or google "hayabusa fairing mesh")
I tried one place and they wanted $78 for postage, so wanted a cheaper and better option.

(13-08-2011, 11:47am)Shifu Wrote: Like you I like the idea of SS and was thinking of making mine from it as well. You will have two problems - first they will be difficult to form as you need the wires about 0.5 mm dia and there is a lot of movement between the wires making it very difficult to get smooth surves. Second they do not make (or I could not find any) a mesh that woulod allow enough air flow as most of that product is for filtering applications. If you restrict the airflow too much, you might just cause some other problems.

Hi Shifu, thanks for that. My main reason is not so much for the cosmetic even though it looks good. I live semi rural so everytime I head out its on country roads and road trains. The bike and myself have had a few stone hits, they hurt and bruise and I concerned if they hit the pipes and split them, I am in trouble on the country roads and don't want to be stranded. I have thought of the airflow intakes and understand the need for that to be fluent.

Kylie please tell me you have oil cooler and radiator guard's?
(13-08-2011, 06:17pm)KylieWA Wrote:
Thanks heaps

I got mine from All Things Chrome in US. Do not have the link but if you Google them it will be eay to find. After you have described your situation I can only back up what BJK1 is suggesting - the radiator and oil cooler guards are a must. Pi_thumbsup They are made of SS and there was some info on Forum about the source a while ago. If you ride on gavel roads I also suggest a front mudguard extention. You are more likely to get a hole in a radiator Scary than get a hose damaged by the stray rock. Biker
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
I used to think this was the tits, but not so sure about the look now.
Carpe Diem!
Nothing has changed 9 years later just go to supercheap and buy the mesh as have hundreds before you.

For sale one dead horse

(13-08-2011, 08:11pm)BLACKZOOK Wrote: Nothing has changed 9 years later just go to supercheap and buy the mesh as have hundreds before you.

For sale one dead horse

So true Bruce so Coolsmiley

Sorry Kylie no offence intended
I did the Supa-Cheap DIY option on my first Busa 7 years ago... too lazy this time. Just bought the ready-made set from the US for a few bucks... look around. You WILL get it cheap (with cheap postage).

PS: apart from that, my bike will remain stock.
    Just fitted some grills from balls z motorsports.Chrome.look ok.will leave off till it has it`s 6000 service monday save a few bucks labour.cheersVery Happy    
I bought from balls z motorsports as well. I just have not got around to put them on my K8.
Here's a link http://www.BallZmotorsports.com/
Thanks John
Do a search on this site for fairing grills, this topic has been covered fairly comprehensively. Don't use a hot glue gun, that is a rookie mistake. You can make it yourself quite easily.

Go search, you'll be surprised.