** WORK WANTED **
Hi guys,

I have been struggling to find work in Sydney for the last few months. Does anyone have any positions available or know of any leads?

Ideally an entry level position in the mines would be great(anywhere in the country), but I suspect that I will see pigs fly before that happens.

I'm interested in doing a heavy vehicle/plant diesel apprenticeship/traineeship. Realistically I am happy to do anything.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

John

2fast4u
Go West young man.

Get a HR licence. Many mines require their haul truck drivers to have such licences.

I don't know about the apprenticeship angle. We are a stupid dumb-arsed country who neglected the trades throughout most of the Nineties and Naughties. As a result we now import our tradesmen from developing countries. Employers don't want apprentices because they require management (something else our country doesn't invest in) and it is cheaper to hire a competent Philipino tradesman than it is to take on a first year apprentice.

Got kids? I fear for their future. They will be housekeepers and labourers for the next generation of moneyed citizens or queue-jumpers.

If you really want a future, go back to uni and become an engineer. You don't need to be smart to graduate, just determined. Within two years of graduating, and particularly if you're mature age and have street smarts, you'll be running a mining or engineering department and pulling 250-500,000 a year (depending on company and minesite). This is where we locals have the edge over the thousands of engineers flooding the country from the 'developing' nations. They can't make a decision to save themselves. Whereas Australians have an uncanny knack for assessing risk and making accurate decisions. Just like older motorcyclists!

"insider knowledge" Camel
Bugger John I just realised that I forgot to reply to your PM -sorry mate.

We are very slow at the moment and have nothing to offer.
They are about to turn Roxby downs North SA into the biggest Mine in the world & will be looking for Many workers in the near future .Don't know who to contact but would be worth finding out . Good luck hunting .I think they are after a final work force of 10,000 ish .It's All happening in SA Mate .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
Apprenticeships will be advertised on site up my way shortly I believe if you wanted to come up queensland way.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
Hey Greeny,

Applied for. Thanks mate.

(28-10-2011, 02:10pm)Greeny_SA Wrote: They are about to turn Roxby downs North SA into the biggest Mine in the world & will be looking for Many workers in the near future .Don't know who to contact but would be worth finding out . Good luck hunting .I think they are after a final work force of 10,000 ish .It's All happening in SA Mate .

Regards,

John

2fast4u
I have an HR and HC truck licence, and I live in Perth, have been trying to get into the mines for 5 years with no luck, they will only take people with mine experience.
Mines; me thinks boring, & I never did like dry holes anyway.
Get yourself into about 50k of debt.
Go to tech in Sydney for free & do your MED3.
Get a flight to here:
http://www.subnetservices.com/training/r...areer-path
......do every possible course you can then get a flight due west, get a hotel n knock on doors. Hurry, before some shiela gets a ball n chain round ya ankles.
You'll either work it out, or you'll suffer from rust.

http://www.seaeye.com/

(28-10-2011, 02:57pm)John Wrote: Hey Greeny,

Applied for. Thanks mate.

(28-10-2011, 02:10pm)Greeny_SA Wrote: They are about to turn Roxby downs North SA into the biggest Mine in the world & will be looking for Many workers in the near future .Don't know who to contact but would be worth finding out . Good luck hunting .I think they are after a final work force of 10,000 ish .It's All happening in SA Mate .

Good Luck Mate ,& At least Roxby is not in the middle on no fkn where,Only 6 hrs at the speed limit to Adelaide .Plenty live in Adelaide & drive up & Back every couple of weeks depending on shift's .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
I've been doing general labourer T/A type work in WA for not that long. Got myself a couple of tickets, EWP, forklift, dogman, have been getting work pretty easily through recruitment agencies. Once u get a couple of contacts in different areas it gets even easier. Got my basic scaffolding ticket an had a chat to a guy who own his own scaff business. Asked me to give him a call when I get back to Perth - not guaranteed, but sounds promising. I've packed up, left Sydney and dont regret it for a second. Have never had so much $$.
(28-10-2011, 03:17pm)puttputt Wrote: I have an HR and HC truck licence, and I live in Perth, have been trying to get into the mines for 5 years with no luck, they will only take people with mine experience.

What other skills you got puttputt? There's heaps of smaller players still screaming for people, no previous mining experience necessary. Actually, there are definately players who want people with NO prior mining experience!

If you can get onto a site via construction or shutdown jobs you'll find getting into regular mining work a lot easier. Try the agencies, they rely on your resume and don't look very hard at what it contains (think 'keyword search'). I completely understand why some companies only want experienced people, too many greenskins come in and just can't hack it. Its not an easy job if you're not in aircon all day and it is hard on relationships. It also costs mining companies an arm and a leg to get people to site and then to have them turn around and quit is quite time-consuming for them.

I'm looking for Health and Safety advisors at present, can't get them for love nor money. Well, for money yes, but with some places offerring $1600/day it starts to get hard to attract them when your company will only pay around 140,000/annum.

Camel
As someone who has recently moved to WA with BHP all I can say is keep cruising the sites of all the mining companies in the job section. Before starting with BHP I had no prior mining experience. But, it's going to take time! Lots of time. Unless you get lucky or you have specific skills. You have to remember Every man and his dog wants an entry level mining position. There are big dollars to be had if you can get it. Ive been with BHP now for just on two months and they have pushed me across into a supervisors position, we have been advertising and interviewing for positions that report to me and I can say its less about mining experience and more about the bigwigs looking for the right attitude and right skills for the job.

In terms of positions we have a couple of contractors on site that employ a lot of labourers. Check out Goodline, downer edi. If your up for getting your riggers ticket then any of the crane guys eg kone cranes etc.
Regards

Dan
(29-10-2011, 12:52am)Dan85 Wrote: In terms of positions we have a couple of contractors on site that employ a lot of labourers. Check out Goodline, downer edi. If your up for getting your riggers ticket then any of the crane guys eg kone cranes etc.

You got Goodline working for you Dan???
That's Goodline from Weipa isn't it?? If so, say g'day to JK for me...

(28-10-2011, 11:25am)Camel Wrote: Go West young man.

"insider knowledge" Camel

Agree with Camel. I came west 20 years ago and never looked back but you will have to ride the Busa over because you can't get a flight in or out of the place. Thanks to quantas CEO
We are all worried about your future John.
You have a lot of options.

As John clearly stated "I'm interested in doing a heavy vehicle/plant diesel apprenticeship/traineeship" .... which means;
1) John is young.
2) John doesn't mind getting paid shi* money for a few years, in which case he may as well make no money for a few years.

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet...=GetCourse&CourseNo=28679&tpInd=Y

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet...=GetCourse&CourseNo=17455

How to make more money PA than Crudd, Gillard n Swan put together;
4 years ain't much !!!
http://www.amc.edu.au/maritime-engineeri...ngineering

Wm