50 to 55 series
Say the standard OEM says it's 190/50/17
what are the other side effects of putting on a 190/55/17 tyre, other than the popular belief that it will make the bike turn better?
I gather that the speed reading might be slightly different and the ride height could be millimeters higher at the back. Is that it?
Any undesirable consequences?
FP
No undesirable consequences at all. I've got a 55 on mine + raised rear 1" and it handles like a dream. I doubt I'll go back to a 50 series.
Although the profile is only 5% more it really seems to fill the rear out a lot better.

Just had a 55 profile fitted today and first impressions are the bike defianatly seems to like tipping into the corners alot easier and makes the bike feel lighter.

A 55 over a 50 we are talking not even a 10mm difference in height, speedo change would be insignificant.
New tyres will make the bike feel "lighter", regardless of the profile though.
(03-11-2011, 05:41am)CeeJay07 Wrote: New tyres will make the bike feel "lighter", regardless of the profile though.

Good point mate Pi_thumbsup
New tyres always make it feel good Very Happy

Something I might consider when I need new tyres Biker
[Image: HayabusaSmall.jpg]
(03-11-2011, 05:41am)CeeJay07 Wrote: New tyres will make the bike feel "lighter", regardless of the profile though.
True. But these seem to make it feel better again. Don't know, might be just the new tyres thing.
(02-11-2011, 04:34pm)FalcoPerigri Wrote: Say the standard OEM says it's 190/50/17
what are the other side effects of putting on a 190/55/17 tyre, other than the popular belief that it will make the bike turn better?
I gather that the speed reading might be slightly different and the ride height could be millimeters higher at the back. Is that it?
Any undesirable consequences?
FP
Larger contact patch on the road when you have the bike cranked over. If you do lots of straight up riding you may wear the centre a little earlier. I am on my 6th 55 series rear and have found that for the same corner speed and same lean angle you finish up slightly in from the edge of the tyre compared to a 50 series running the same pressure. It is easier to use the whole contact area of a 50 series. If you use the whole contact area on a 55 on the road, you have the bike cranked over more. Just my thoughts, If you plan on using the whole contact area of a 55 on the road, run a full sports tyre on the front. The 55s are that good that they will simply out perform a lot of front tyres. In my opinion they are well worth the few extra bucks for the 55 series. Paul.

Fitted 190-55 2wks ago and only had chance to ride yesterday...Tips in better and changes direction quicker..Tassie roads/black busa love 55,s Drool .
B-King (same size wheels) have a 200/50 as stock.

Its very common to change to a 190/55 on them too.

King's a little longer and heavier and the 190/55 seem's
to help them a little.
(07-11-2011, 04:06pm)cyndemgum Wrote: [quote='FalcoPerigri' pid='254336' dateline='1320215657']

It is easier to use the whole contact area of a 50 series. If you use the whole contact area on a 55 on the road, you have the bike cranked over more. Just my thoughts, If you plan on using the whole contact area of a 55 on the road, run a full sports tyre on the front. The 55s are that good that they will simply out perform a lot of front tyres. In my opinion they are well worth the few extra bucks for the 55 series. Paul.

The shop only had a 55 so . . .
I have just put on my 1st 55 profile rear, and just finished a track day on it.
I didn't notice any noticeable difference to the turn in or steering. I do agree with the contact patch on the road, at lean angles that would have had me right on/over the edge of a 50 series, there was still about 2mm left on the 55. ('till the next session - when I purposefully gave it couple of big scrapes - can't do a track day and have chicken strips - just not done Wtf ) This was also my 1st "Pilot Pure" so the tread may go around further than on the "Pilot Road" - which could mean my observation is totally bogus. ??? Confused

For on the road I can't notice any difference. - just my opinion.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
& Your speed reading will probably be correct now Pi_thumbsup