Home made GPS mount
lightbulb 
First I got me one of those lockable tupperware containers, I positioned the container to where I wanted it, placed the GPS unit, (Tomtom One 3rd Editition), marked out where to cut, using a dremel tool and a hole saw.

Mounted base of container with zip/cable ties (soft side of velcro used to make level with handlebar mount bolts)
[Image: DSC_0027.jpg]

The lid cut out for ignition and GPS touch screen
[Image: DSC_0028.jpg]

I cut a sponge to absorb vibration and hold the GPS unit in place
[Image: DSC_0029.jpg]

GPS unit in place
[Image: DSC_0032.jpg]

...And with lid on
[Image: DSC_0033.jpg]

Using the dremel tool I made a small hole through the side of the base and the lid to accommodate for the power cable, (which runs from a cigarette lighter adaptor under the rear seat via a 10amp fuse)
[Image: DSC_0034.jpg]

Simple as that!
Continued...

It worked well, but I'm going to make a visor for top and sides as the sun did glare out the screen and I had to cast a shadow with my hand, I also couldn't hear it due to wind noise so I will be finding out how I can extend the speaker wires and attach the speaker inside my helmet using velcro.

Here's a few more pics of my GPS unit including the downloadable start-up and shut-down screen, I also have a little motorbike as my pointer (I used the bike form the old-school game "Super Hang On but there is quite a few to choose from).

[Image: DSC_0043.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0039.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0040.jpg]

I'll be happy to answer any questions Very Happy

Bazz.
I almost forgot to mention, to save it from getting wet in the rain, I just used a sealable sandwich bag Very Happy
[Image: hayabusa-5.jpg] [Image: HayabusaLogo-Grey.gif]
nice work bud!
Or . . . you could try what I did. Just stick it using your suction mount to the mirror.

Then tap the GPS to change the settings, and as if by magic . . . bang . . .no GPS, just mirror . . . bugger!

. .

Found it, but it was buggered!!! Idiot2
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
Or you could just buy Zumo 550 GPS specifically design for motorbikes (waterproof and gloves friendly) and save the box for the salad Lol3
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
I have heard people calling 4 cylinder Jap bikes as tupperware torpedoes but.............
(29-01-2012, 03:38pm)Axe Wrote: nice work bud!

Cheers, got the idea from a bloke on youtube who made one for his mountain bike

(05-02-2012, 07:41pm)Ward P Wrote: Or . . . you could try what I did. Just stick it using your suction mount to the mirror.

Then tap the GPS to change the settings, and as if by magic . . . bang . . .no GPS, just mirror . . . bugger!

. .

Found it, but it was buggered!!!

Lol2 Lol2

(05-02-2012, 10:48pm)Shifu Wrote: Or you could just buy Zumo 550 GPS specifically design for motorbikes (waterproof and gloves friendly) and save the box for the salad Lol3

Yeah I would have got a motorcycle dedicated GPS if I had that sort of money, but I got the Tomtom for $23.00 (theoretically)... Bought it for $51 got a full refund & told to keep it, bought 2012 maps for $74.00 = Trophy

[Image: hayabusa-5.jpg] [Image: HayabusaLogo-Grey.gif]
My GPS goes in my tank bag under the clear cover.

Instructions are then transmitted to me via the bluetooth connection between my GPS and Scala Rider headset.Very Happy
Regards,

Busdriver (aka Les)
I drilled a hole in GPS fitted a socket...... tapped that into the speaker wire and plugged in my earplugs.....so now i put in where i am going and put GPS in my pocket.....just run with audio......Perfect (need a small GPS) BikerBikerBiker
If it doesn't feel good........Your doing it wrong !!!
(05-02-2012, 07:41pm)Ward P Wrote: Or . . . you could try what I did. Just stick it using your suction mount to the mirror.

. .

Found it, but it was buggered!!! Idiot2

I did a similar thing recently with a mates camera that I borrowed. I stuck it to the tank to get a bit of footage of the speedo under acceleration. I touched the camera just to make sure it was 'hangin in there' and .. whoosh .. off it flew. I stuck my left hand out, and bugger me .. I caught it (Ricky Ponting would have been proud). In the end, the footage was pretty crappy .. and .. you have to watch it standing on your head Confused or .. turn the computer monitor upside down.
I don't need a GPS .. people are always telling me where to go .. Idiot2
been looking at this thread as I want to put a gps on for my trip in Oct but will have a tank bag on so it aint gonna work. However I managed to find a sweetspot on the underside of my screen where the suction mount sticks like shit to a blanket. Had it mounted for a week now and not moved so I reckon it's a winner.

This looks like a good idea but bit pricey for what it is
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-IPHON...60&vxp=mtr

This looks a better proposition
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RAM-Mount-Hal...588f3e6f02
(10-07-2013, 10:19am)Pommie Wrote: been looking at this thread as I want to put a gps on for my trip in Oct but will have a tank bag on so it aint gonna work. However I managed to find a sweetspot on the underside of my screen where the suction mount sticks like shit to a blanket. Had it mounted for a week now and not moved so I reckon it's a winner.

This looks like a good idea but bit pricey for what it is
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-IPHON...60&vxp=mtr

This looks a better proposition
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RAM-Mount-Hal...588f3e6f02

I like the second option as it is much neater but both by the look of it might obstruct the speedo so I am not sure if that is strictly speaking legal so you might get pinged for it by some pedantic Police . On a busa you are are over the limit before you even know it as it is Undecided
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
I like the 2nd one too Shifu... as my Tomtom is really good at knowing the road's speed limit and is happy to flash u when ur over I would find it not showing my dash not a problem.. be nice if they had a app that could be added to be a gear sellector LOL
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
Ram Mount obsession!
This is my FJR 1300 pretty much set up for long hauls and FarRiders (when ever I get the time!)
Ram mounts for GPS and UHF radio. No longer have the rear view CCTV - put the Bel Sti radar detector on that Ram mount instead.
[Image: P1010280.jpg]
Farken 'ell!!Eek!! bejesus Cap'n dont ya find it a bit confusing?Scary
Im still tyring to work out the gps ive got on my bike, its speed is around 20k slower than the speedo!
Her job is to Bitch!
Mine is to give her reasonYes

VERITAS...SANGUINEM ET HONOREM
f*** i like the fact that ,sometimes i get lost makes it all the more fun ,f*** the gadgets off and enjoy a ride bro.
[Image: 11870925_10204352750091032_3366674167629...8f99a0b2f1]