Making the busa LIGHTER. better round corners/track
As much as i try i just cant keep up wit my mates on 1000s, in a straight line i kill em but up in the hills i get left behind. I know the bike isnt made for it, and i dont expect to BEAT them round corners, but just asking about some tips/tricks for makIng the busa more corner friendly, if weight reduction, suspension setup ect...just asking for advice. Thanks guys :)
I feel ya pain I am in the same boat with some of my mates too.

So what I have done is look at a few of the basic's - Tires (as stickie as you can), Braided Brake lines, HH Brake pads, (yet to do disc's as well) Rotors "quaifer" style (as the brakes on the busa are very average), then the biggest one of all "Suspension" go with your $$'s and all your gear to Terry Hays and you will have a NEW bike. Maybe drop some top end and get some more down low with sprockets etc.. Then you could do the carbon replacement parts.....

my 2 cents.... I am sure other will have feedback also.
1hotbusa (Graham) tickled my suspension and I found quite a difference (as well as being a nice bloke)
Raceworx some real good feedback, any particular brand of brakes and rotors? And my mechanic does suspension setups, should i trust him to do it or make the effort and go to someone who knows busas
Superbike School!
(08-03-2012, 07:56pm)De5nake Wrote: Raceworx some real good feedback, any particular brand of brakes and rotors? And my mechanic does suspension setups, should i trust him to do it or make the effort and go to someone who knows busas

I would put in HH EBC brake pads (or the likes), Hell Brake lines or the sort? no real difference? Rotor's I am going to do ebay jobbies heard they are fine. if you want to go get the flashes then your call.

Suspension, if he can do it get him to do it (unless there is a pro around that can do it). All you need is to put in heavier front spring in the forks as rear is fine, that's what I did (under recommendation from a pro) do a set-up to your weight and it will blow your mind...

get this done and your along way ahead of where you were Trophy

(08-03-2012, 08:18pm)pan Wrote: Superbike School!

Pan is right... learn from the pro's on how to get the most out of her too.

Superbike school sounds good, ill look into that, and ill look into getting a suspension setup, thanks guys big help!
Someone told me to adjust the swingarm to the shortest wheelbase possible, good or bad idea?
Good idea as it will shorten the wheelbase, but better off seeing a suspension guru, as he/she will look at the overall geometry of the bike, rather than just making it shorter wheelbase.

As simple mods though, you can shorten the wheelbase, raise the back (a little), drop the front forks as far as they'll go, and it will (probably) tip into corners better (though may be a little less stable at higher speeds)
Jake, I spent a bit of time looking into the same thing and so far the mods I've done made a HUGE difference with handling.
Yeah it cost me alot of $$$ but it'll give you an idea of what's possible.

First I did the wheels (and brakes while I was there) - Galespeed Forged alloys, Braketech Axis Iron Rotors, Spiegler Braded lines.
Added a 55 profile rear, some 1" raising links and then worked on the suspension. Rear shock was too hard for my weight so that was backed off,
but front was worked to max and it's still too soft. I still use nearly all the available travel - forks needs to be either resprung /or a shiny set of ohlins.

What I've basicaly done so far is reduce a fair amount of unsprung weight and shifted the bikes geometry slightly higher and forward.
The wheelbase was also shortened a little and all this combined makes the bike tip into corners like it wants to throw itself down the road on its side.
The point of all it all though, is that I can use later entry points, lay the bike over quicker, reduce the time the bike needs to be leaned over
and pull out of the corners harder.

Also, one thing that I never even considered would affect the bike/and my ride style as much as it has was installing a quickshifter - Translogic QS4GP.
The best way I can give you an idea of just how good this thing works, is that I can keep the throttle open and shift up gears while leaned over..in the wet!!
Shifts are damn fast and very smooth, the rpm's barely drop on shift at all, and it works from 2500rpm and up in any gear and I can adjust the interupt settings on the fly depending on how agressive I'm being or the conditions I'm riding.

I've got a few more mods done, but the above is the base of what has made the most impact.

If you want quick, easy improvements at minimal cost, do the rear links, 55 tyre and then get your suspension set up. - you'll be amazed at how much difference that alone will make.
The Busa has a heavy donk. 81Kg from memory. But pull down its competitors engines and you'll see why Busa's are used in drag bikes and buggies. They're strong as.

Fight your battles on ground of YOUR choosing, then pass them towing a trailer!

Camel
I hear u camel, i love having the strait line power, it feels good having no competition in that battle. Im just over getting left behind haha, bikerboy thanks for ur input, i may actualy look into a set of wheels, theres a nice gold set in the display window of my mechanics. Camel while i have ur attention, what can i do to gain off the line aceleration without loosing top end aceleration?
And the quickshifter bikerboy, do i need a pc3 to run it? Or is my modified ecu enough?
(08-03-2012, 09:58pm)De5nake Wrote: And the quickshifter bikerboy, do i need a pc3 to run it? Or is my modified ecu enough?

Translogic quickshifters are a completely independant system with their own programmable ecu, so you don't need anything else - Just plug and play. http://www.translogicuk.com/quickshifters.htm

You can also install a quickshifter that works directly off the bikes ecu (set up via ecueditor) but I have no idea how good that setup is by comparison. http://www.boostbysmith.com/quick.html
(08-03-2012, 07:11pm)De5nake Wrote: As much as i try i just cant keep up wit my mates on 1000s, in a straight line i kill em but up in the hills i get left behind. I know the bike isnt made for it, and i dont expect to BEAT them round corners, but just asking about some tips/tricks for makIng the busa more corner friendly, if weight reduction, suspension setup ect...just asking for advice. Thanks guys :)

How much do u want to spend???
There is wheels ,brakes,fuel tank,shocks,fork setup and exhuast also swingarms.
(08-03-2012, 08:18pm)pan Wrote: Superbike School!

Unless you are scraping right up the fairings and bottoming out everything whilst chasing your mates, having a lighter bike, really sticky tyres, and the right suspension setup wont equate to you going any faster in the twisties. It all comes down to perceived corner speed, and what you feel comfortable doing.

Level 1 of CSS will be the best $500 bucks you can spend on your bikes handling. Then practice, practice, practice 'till you perfect what is taught. Follow it up with some track days to learn the limit of the bike. Even with a stock standard 'busa there aint much, and not many people will be able to touch you on a normal road in the twisties if you can ride the 'busa to it's limit - not yours.

Only trouble is, it aint as pretty as all that nice CF light stuff Drool

[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
Just putting my bit in....The Busa I reckon with equal riders on board will of course be a little slower in the twisties than the litre bikes....but I think there is no secret remedies to "fix" that. All the factory stuff ( suspension settings and brakes) are adequate for faster riding on the road (not track I STRESS that) its really the rider in my opinion. I happen to usually more often than not be faster then my mates even in corners and am very very happy with its suspension set up from factory. Sure you can put braided lines on, see suspension guys they will take your money but at the end of the day..YOU still have to ride it!!..............................
Just my opinion save your money and learn more about the riding craft..I am and have been learning all my life and the BUSA is one of the best!!!
Enjoy!
Jeffro Very Happy