Intake Cooling
For a dragbike setup what do some of the guys with hands on knowledge or experience in this area think??

Water - Water/Methanol - water/air intercooler - air/air intercooler

Pro and Cons, whats the best setup? whats consistently reliable?

Bike currently has a stage 2 orient express kit with a 16t mit. turbo and would like something i can use now and later when i rebuild the motor and change to a garret.
inter cooled, water to air.
only thing I'ld go with.

Easy set up, can have boost sensors on the plemim too, I personally would run anything else
I realy like my water/air coolers esp if using ice water and hi boost levels BUT there is a weight disadvantage if your drag racing and if you have to put fresh ice in each round
Air to air are lighter but take up space needed to lower the bike if front mount and if plenum mount need good ducting to work
Water inj can work ok, but don't give the hp advantage of a intercooler as any density increase from cooling is offset by water converting to steam

Option 2 is methanol as fuel , high maintainence , but a 10% torque increase

So it realy comes down to how much maintenence you are willing to do between rounds , what boost levels you want to run , and just how drag dedicated the bike is
A gsxr 1000 i was building as my drag bike had a ice intercooler , but sold it before using it so now the replacement zx14 has less ability to intercool and will have water injection
lightbulb 
(06-08-2012, 08:45pm)Maj Wrote: I realy like my water/air coolers esp if using ice water and hi boost levels BUT there is a weight disadvantage if your drag racing and if you have to put fresh ice in each round
Air to air are lighter but take up space needed to lower the bike if front mount and if plenum mount need good ducting to work
Water inj can work ok, but don't give the hp advantage of a intercooler as any density increase from cooling is offset by water converting to steam

Option 2 is methanol as fuel , high maintainence , but a 10% torque increase

So it realy comes down to how much maintenence you are willing to do between rounds , what boost levels you want to run , and just how drag dedicated the bike is
A gsxr 1000 i was building as my drag bike had a ice intercooler , but sold it before using it so now the replacement zx14 has less ability to intercool and will have water injection
Gday Maj,
Option 3 --- "top secret"
Check this out. Probably made in China, who cares.
http://www.votionspeed.com/servlet/the-7...%2C/Detail

I also have invented a lightweight, electric, refrigerated boost cooling system where coolant that flows through air/water/water/air intercooler is refrigerated. Do you want to get a patent ? We'll make millions.Yes
Gruntmax if you can design a system that pulls enough BTU's out of the intake without restricting the 3-500cfm
and make it light and cost effective you will make a lot of sales ;)
Do you build and sell water/air intercoolers Maj? .......Tell me more.
(17-02-2014, 04:01pm)Grizzly Wrote: Do you build and sell water/air intercoolers Maj? .......Tell me more.

Hi Grizzly. Maj may not reply in a hurry...he's had fires destroy stuff recently

http://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/...?tid=21403
Yeah not much stock left ;)
cheapest option at the moment would be to get a Stedman plenum on US Ebay, goes by the name of mypowersportsplus
Best option would be a RCC ultra plenum
i will be doing them again and there in the same price range as Stedmans , just need to get stock of parts for assembly and get a new welder
i only have cut sheets to form the plenum and heat exchangers in stock
Hi Maj, thanks for the reply. sorry to hear about the fires and damage. I was looking at the RCC stuff but it really streches the budget by the time its kitted out with pumps and heat exchanger. I like the look of Stedmans gear tho.

again thanks for the reply, hope everything gets back to normal and sorted quickly for you and your family.
Please delete I am unable to do so.

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons: 1.Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
2.You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
3.Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)
4.You have accessed this page directly rather than using appropriate forms or link.

You are currently logged in with the username: 'Zrex1200'
[Image: fc9450cb-86fb-4774-a1ac-5a6bb7a02823.jpg]