Bike tie downs?
(20-09-2012, 11:41am)Buhjones Wrote: Not sure if I am preaching to the choir but make sure you compres the forks down a fair way so the tie downs don't come loose when it bounces. Ive seen this go VERY badly on one occassion and now get paranoid and always sit on the bike and compress the forks down before transport on a ute or trailer. Given the size of a busa I would tie it down front and rear. As with any vehicle transport the 'straps' will move and rub on any surface they contact. Make sure you use old carpet/towels/rags/puppies to prevent damage to the bike.

True, but you can compress the forks too far for too long as well, causing leaks. If you tie from the calipers and the swingarm the forks don't get compressed.

Pictures aren't too clear, but this is how I did it

[Image: DSC_0022.jpg]

[Image: Busatrackbikecarbon1.jpg]

[Image: Busatrackbikecarbon3.jpg]

What a silly bunt, never thought of that. I assume by the fact that you have 2 side by side that there are no issues with the bike tipping. Ill try that next time.
"and when I gun the engine I want people to think that the world is coming to an end"
Scary
I have an Oxford setup for the front bars with the soft centre and handle bar sleeves INCLUDING tie downs on both sides to heavy duty caribiners (im sure thats spelt wrong sorry), works a treat. ($69.00 at my local bike shop) I also always leave the bike in gear as well as using a small velcro lash system i got for $5 at MotoGP years ago. It goes around the throttle and the brake lever and just holds the front brake on also. I DO compress the front to a degree, not stupidly, but enough that bumps dont loosen and move the bike. For the rear i usually lash the rear wheel purely to stop it moving forward in the transporter. I haven't had a problem with this method before.
Every (k) over is a THRILLER ! Pi_tongue

2012 AHC BOTY Best Gen 2
2013 VVMC Best Japanese
2013 Australian Hayabusa Show & Shine BEST IN SHOW
2013 AHC BOTY Bike Of The Year Trophy
Cheers,

lots of different ideas there.
The most common one i see is not using the tie downs from the bars like you would on a dirt bike.
Thought about using them from the calipers but the lungs on the ute tub are near the top of the tub liner, roughly the same height as the calipers.

Still working on some other ideas,
Cheers.
[Image: BusaPickup2-1.jpg]

I just used an Oxford strap across the front bars, they have a loop either end for the ratchet straps or ropes and a bit of rope to keep the rear central. Just make sure it tightens down square, this traveled about 600ks like this.