Feels good
(08-02-2013, 08:34am)sutur Wrote: .....CB1300 - Dropped it...everywhere! Too fcking heavy!......Hayabusa - Dropped it 3 times - too heavy!

Bikes not to heavy, as you said you are not used to a bike which has weight so you lean in to far for speed you are doing..
Learn don't give up... after 18 months of riding my Busa I am just starting to throw it about.. it is a fun bike and responds well but I have been learning to not rely on my body picking it back up but more my wrist....
No doubt I will go beyond my limits and I only hope it wont hurt to much, but then if we don;t test our limits how to we improve?
I know I will probably never get close to my bikes limits though LOL
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
(08-02-2013, 08:53am)Batfink Wrote: not rely on my body picking it back up but more my wrist....

Yes, excellent point Pi_thumbsup
I have done 2 levels of CSS.changed my life.changed my ridind to the point where everyday riding became SAFER and FUN .that was in 2006. I still practice all the precepts whenever I drive/ ride off road or on the road.
I had twist of the wrist and read it since 1991.and wanted to meet Keith code as that man is an inspiration. He was a heroin addict who recovered and designed this program.in 2006 when I went to do CSS it was the 10 yr anniversary if CSS in oz and Keith code was my teacher for the day.the trainers laughed at the fact when I first went to CSS I wanted to drag my sliders,after 2 courses I was trying to save them for as they were getting used up fast both on the track and public roads.
u don't need a bike. Hire one from CSS and do the course before u buy u r next bike.as for dropping the bike u r physics is wrong.bite the bullet and spend the cash.transform your riding and life! If I am in NSW or PI I will do a CSS 3 & 4. U can't stop learning and I will do YAIM off road school too! Easiest way to learn!
Don't tempt fate,TAUNT IT!

(07-02-2013, 05:36pm)DjPete Wrote: This guy seems a bit of a wanker but explains contersteering pretty well. Im one of those people who has been riding for over 30 yrs and was never aware of this. I just do it subconciously but it does make sense to understand what is happenning..

Isn't it funny the things you don't notice until it's pointed out!!!

I tried out the counter steering and of course it works, then I started to assess how I rode normally and guess what.....

ON each corner I would set myself up by putting weight on the arm holding bars on the inside of the corner (which caused counter steering) but THEN I would try to turn bike into corner with opposite arm (a pushing effect). This ended up cancelling the counter steering which meant I had to pull bike over with my body weight... now I understand it better my cornering is so much smoother and tighters (specially at low speeds)..

If ya stop learning ya probably dead!!

Thx Dj
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

Saw the classic "go real wide" in a corner the other day.
The guy I was following mis-judged a tightenning apex corner.
He ended up on the shoulder of the road, almost on the dirt and was lucky not to come off.
Watching from behind I could spot everything that he did wrong.
1st thing he did wrong was hit the brakes. - This stood the bike up and sent it wide.
2nd thing he did wrong was sit upright and lean back and tried to lean the bike back over to regain his line. - This meant his arms were straight, so no amount of sideways lean was going to allow the bike to turn.

What he should have done was simply lean forward and push the inside bar. - Easy when watching from behind.

He was on his Ps and I asked him what happened after. He explained that his rear shock was set a bit too stiff, and that pogoed him too wide.
Not my job to tell him what I thought. - He probably wouldn't have listened anyway. Interesting how we all see things differently.

I am always talking to myself through corners even when just cruising and not riding hard, spotting the entry, the turn point, find the apex then look ahead, push the bar hard then all weight off the bars, look for the exit. It's all practice and adds an extra dimension and extra fun in nailing corners just right. Only downside is because you're always looking and pushing ahead to the next point, looking at the speedo often gets neglected. Pi_freak But just Practice Practice Practice, and a slower pace works best.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
I'm sure we all do this naturally but it completely does my head in when i try to do it with thinking. I think this is why a lot of people including me get nervous about doing this and thinking about it for eg.
You come to a corner and you mentally think.."ok right corner turn the steering left!"
Wardy how do you overcome this thought process of causing panic.
Or do you ONLY be slightly conscious of it but just feel the bike through the corner as usual.
Curious. lol
Heres another vid too, lots on youtube.

and this one...
hey pete,
i found once I started doing it conscously that if I over thought it I got confused.. but now I just think push on the side I want to go.. turn left, push left bar, turn right push right bar...

BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

listening to the keith code cd's now. lol
i cant get into audio and the american accent. lol can anyone suggest a good video. i think visuals would help me comprehend enormously.
dloading twist wrist 2 vid
i can gtee u this does not work on a pushbike. Just tried on my daughters bike.oops yes it does...

Some good comments on the vid underneath too. Worth a read.
Especially things like this..
"great video this one although there are many on? yourtube made me better understand counter-steer, I havnt seen a video yet, besides urs, that tells you that counter steering is the brief moment that allows the bike to initiate its lean, then the rider must turn into the turn. thanks!"
(12-02-2013, 09:32am)Ward P Wrote: He was on his Ps and I asked him what happened after. He explained that his rear shock was set a bit too stiff, and that pogoed him too wide.
Not my job to tell him what I thought. - He probably wouldn't have listened anyway. Interesting how we all see things differently.

Maybe you should have said something Ward, he might have been truly grateful for the tip.
(12-02-2013, 10:17am)DjPete Wrote: I'm sure we all do this naturally but it completely does my head in when i try to do it with thinking. I think this is why a lot of people including me get nervous about doing this and thinking about it for eg.
You come to a corner and you mentally think.."ok right corner turn the steering left!"
Wardy how do you overcome this thought process of causing panic.
Or do you ONLY be slightly conscious of it but just feel the bike through the corner as usual.
As I enter the corner I lean in that direction, my leaning doesn't turn the bike but as I lean inward, my body pushes my arm/hand onto the inside bar, and that turns the bike. It's more about just knowing what you're doing, rather than assuming it's the lean, or weight on the peg or anything else.

You have to just keep doing it consciously till it feels normal. Do the California Superbike school. Level 1 will save your life, or at least save you and your bike from an accident on the road in the future. I reckon 2 and 3 and more track orientated, but level 1 should be manditory before anyone rides on the road. When everything is going along smoothly your brain just turns the bike for you. But in a panic situation your brain stops doing this, and you need to "manually" steer the bike. Unless you have really practiced and practiced countersteering till it feels normal, a seconds panic where your brain doesn't react is enough to make you go wide, stop the bike turning, or run into whatever you're looking at.

I often do this - An easy exercise if you have a throttlelock, is find some twisties, set the bike to an easy pace, and just use 1 finger to push each handlebar, don't hook your finger over the bar, just use the tip of your finger, so you are not holding the bars at all. You'll soon realise it takes hardly any effort at all to push the inside bar to drop the bike into the corner, no need to touch the bars at all thru the corner, and a light finger push on the other bar to pull the bike back out of the corner. The bike will also be much more stable thru the corner because you aren't adding external stresses to your bike through holding the bars. This is all the input you ever need to apply to the bars no matter have hard or fast you're riding on the road.

For me, it's amazing how much faster I can go just by relaxing my grip on the bars, and then adding positive input only when needed. It just seems to make everything feel slower and have more time. (This is a tip from the Cornering School, but don't trust ideas and opinions from others. It's best to get it 1st hand from an Instructor)
(12-02-2013, 01:04pm)Dale Wrote:
(12-02-2013, 09:32am)Ward P Wrote: He was on his Ps and I asked him what happened after. He explained that his rear shock was set a bit too stiff, and that pogoed him too wide.

Maybe you should have said something Ward, he might have been truly grateful for the tip.

He had a couple of mates about all giving advice and agreeing with him, I am planning on giving him a couple of tips when I catch him alone.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
good one Ward. Must consciously look into this asap.
I do what you are doing but the difference is i dont know what i am doing and as you say in an emergency i would not use the countersteering technique because i dont know it in my head as such. :-)