Fit your own tyres. Step by step guide.
Hi guys and girls, as promised a step by step guide to removing and fitting bike tyres. Must thank my daughter Emma for her help. Firstly you will hear me mention on numerous occasions that the well of the rim is your friend. The well of the rim is the smallest diameter of the rim and it is most important that you keep the bead directly opposite from the area that you are working on, compressed into this well all of the time. This drastically reduces how much force is required to lever the beads both off and onto the rim. Couple of other things to remember are to start at the valve region when removing the beads and finish at the valve region when installing both beads. Golden rule of thumb, if you are applying large amounts of force on the levers you are doing it wrong. Removing the inner and outer beads when removing a tyre is simple once you get the technique right. Fitting the first bead when mounting the new tyre is simple. Fitting the second bead when mounting the new tyre is the more difficult part of the job. Remember , the well is your friend. I have deliberately used very basic tools and in all honesty it is really not any slower than using the proper gear. Once you get it down pat it is a 10 minute job. The degree of difficulty varies slightly from brand to brand. Case construction and tyre size also has a part to play. If you wish to practice, refit and remove the old tyre as it will be slightly stretched and a good deal easier to fit compared to the new tyre.

Tools you will need. 3 slender levers, 1 rubber hammer, 4 pieces of plastic cut from old oil bottles, 1 piece of old foam rubber or small piece of old wetsuit fabric, the socket that you use for the axle nut wrapped in electrical tape, an old metal valve cap, an 8mm ring spanner, a knife, the spare wheel out of your car, an old heavy blanket, 2 pieces of timber.

Firstly cut off the old valve stem. Then break the bead as per the photo. Turn the wheel over and repeat the process. When doing this correctly it does not take a great deal of force to crack the beads.

Kneel onto the tyre compressing the bead into the well. Install 3 rim protectors and 3 levers. Each lever at about 25 to 30 degrees apart.

Install rim protector and longer lever under the next bead. As you roll the bead over the rim lock the piece of foam rubber under the rim protector to make extra certain that you do not mark the rim. Do not hammer the bead off completely or the rim will go flying across your work shop.

Install the new valve stem.
Double check tyre rotational direction after sitting rim into new tyre.
Now the hardest part, installing the final bead. Remember, the well is your friend. The real trick to mounting the final bead is taking very small bites each time with the levers and keeping the number of levers introduced into the work space down to a minimum. I fit all performance tyres up dry. Imo using lube when fitting tyres manually actually makes the job more difficult plus I like the extra bite of popping a dry bead onto a dry rim. All that is left is to inflate and balance the assembly. Have fun , Paul.

CLICK HERE

http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/cyndem...1182087314
i just used the tyre machine at the wreckers,

im far to lazy to do them by hand, good write up though.
(30-03-2013, 06:21pm)revhead Wrote: i just used the tyre machine at the wreckers,

Can you see the images Revhead? Paul.

I cant see any images Paul ..
Smile 
(30-03-2013, 06:34pm)Dale Wrote: I cant see any images Paul ..
Thanks Dale, there are 21 clear images to go along with the post. Just have to figure out how to go about displaying them. Like I said before bike work is simple for me, this computer stuff does not come easy. PaulVery Happy

Youtube, so much easier, check it out
(30-03-2013, 06:34pm)cyndemgum Wrote:
(30-03-2013, 06:21pm)revhead Wrote: i just used the tyre machine at the wreckers,

Can you see the images Revhead? Paul.
,nope cant see a one but i like what you wrote,good info.
Thanks guys, I will upload the first six images in the correct order tomorrow. If someone can request the next 6 just to seperate the posts, I will then upload the next 6 and so on until all 21 images are available in sequence. I decided to go down the still shot path as the distinct 21 steps shown are very straight forward to follow. Thanks for your help, Paul.
Hey,
CyndEmgum

Dont like the bendy tyre lever better, its curved

I use it the most , instead of any long straight lever

Life is so much easier when ' I have my own semi-auto
Tyre changer machine, levers,a sharp wheel balancer & wheel weights

Byo , they run of 10amp power & connect to your air-compressor

$275 for the motocycle wheel atachments will fit any
Car tyre changer machine,
Check out
Radum.com.au, theres a store in your state

Get your girl to film it, & post it on youtube
For us to see, & vote liked it...
(30-03-2013, 09:14pm)RYDRZ Wrote: Hey,
CyndEmgum

Dont like the bendy tyre lever better, its curved

I use it the most , instead of any long straight lever

Life is so much easier when ' I have my own semi-auto
Tyre changer machine, levers,a sharp wheel balancer & wheel weights

Byo , they run of 10amp power & connect to your air-compressor

$275 for the motocycle wheel atachments will fit any
Car tyre changer machine,
Check out
Radum.com.au, theres a store in your state

Get your girl to film it, & post it on youtube
For us to see, & vote liked it...
Don't really find the shape of the levers makes that much difference. Got about 40 to choose from but 3 that I made as an apprentice a couple of years ago, ha ha, work well mainly because they are slender both in thickness and width. As far as all the gear goes, I find there is more chance of marking the rims compared to manually changing rubber using the right technique. The point of the thread when I finally get the images up, is to show that pretty much anyone can do their own rubber without forking out any money. I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed so i am sure everyone else can do it. Paul.Very Happy

Thanks for your patience guys, images are finally available. Any questions just let me know, Paul.Very Happy
(01-04-2013, 09:58am)cyndemgum Wrote: Thanks for your patience guys, images are finally available. Any questions just let me know, Paul.Very Happy
Thanks Paul, pictures and explanation were great - I'll give it a go! Rob
(01-04-2013, 10:48am)CaptainRob Wrote:
(01-04-2013, 09:58am)cyndemgum Wrote: Thanks for your patience guys, images are finally available. Any questions just let me know, Paul.Very Happy
Thanks Paul, pictures and explanation were great - I'll give it a go! Rob
You are welcome Cap'm, Sorry about the rooting about with the post when it comes to IT stuff, " I'm livin in the 70s". Have a blast, Paul.Very Happy