Tank Slappers
There is a bit of discussion going on at Hayabusa.org about riding out of tank slappers.
Some say you can ride them out and others suggest slapping the end of the bars during the event.

Here is my contribution.

I have been riding for 35 years and my last off was 34 years ago when I went over the bars from the biggest slapper I have ever seen.

It was a 250 Suzuki Hustler, 1 year old and I had put a set of leather panniers on it. I overtook 2 cars on a lovely right hand sweeper and when I crossed back to my lane (We drive on the left of the road here) the front wheel hit a large dip in the road that started a real slapper that went from side to side. I was doing about 50mph at the time and the bike slapped so hard that the crash bars on the left dug into the road and catapulted me over the bars. I bounced off my head and landed on my bum, skidding for about 30 meters until I ended up wrapped around a roadside post.
At the end of the ride, which I can still see in slow motion, my helmet was cracked like a boiled egg right on the top and my jeans were worn right through. My nylon undies had melted and I had specks of molten nylon embedded all over my arse cheeks. Both gloves came off and I had small bits of gravel embedded in the backs of both hands.
I was white as a sheet for about an hour afterwards and never rode that bike again. I got a Honda 450 CL to replace it and have learnt a few riding lessons in the mean time.
1. Never fall off.
2. Don't overtake on bends.
3. Don't wear nylon of any type on a bike.
4. Never fit unsecured bags to a bike and if you do. Do not have them unballanced.
5. Ride within your own limits. Because once you find out the bikes limits, it is too late.

Can't help you on how to stop a slapper but I do agree that holding on tight is NOT the answer.
A loose grip on the bars is best in every situation.
I have never had anything like a slapper on a Hayabusa. If you have, something mechanical is wrong.
Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!<i></i>
I've had one major slapper and a minor one, with the major I was riding right on the edge of my limit with no room if I f****d up. I was going around a left hand sweeper but was going WAY too fast showing off to whoever was behind me. I was going too fast to react to a massive pot hole in the middle of the road and because the corner was quite tight, I didn't have time to see it or avoid it (and I was going too fast, AND the bike was too low into the corner, and blah). The front wheel went in, grabbed and the bike came out in a full lock slapper. The grips were wrenched out of my hands in a fraction of a second. And I watched the bar ends slap the tank once, twice and settle. It was the most amazing thing I have seen on a bike and made me a BIG fan of the steering dampener. Obviously I didn't make a grab for it but mainly because it happened so damn fast.

Ended up on the wrong side of the road pretty crossed up, but was able to stop under my own steam. <i></i>
I had a SLAPPER once when I was drunk in Bundaberg.
She was a horrendous looking thing.

I've never recovered. Don't ride behind me, I might bin it, Don't ride in front of me ya slow moving bastard, Just ride beside me and shut the f*** up.<i></i>
@M8EE

Change of subject.
How is the baby cooking going Shane?

Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!<i></i>
Hey M8ee... was she drunk ? If so, she was a Tanked Slapper ! The older I get, the better I was. Regards.... Rob<i></i>
@Heidi....faaaaark
Kevin <i></i>
Have a look at these guys! Well worth the download time. The second guy in the 'incidences' clip certainly hung on tight and well............take a look. Amazing!

www.metacafe.com/watch/24...mpilation/

www.metacafe.com/watch/18...ncidences/

bike stunts

www.metacafe.com/watch/18..._accident/
<i></i>
I took off over a hump @ warp speed & came down with the front crossed up due to a crosswind & the old bus shook it's head once & kept on trucking Gyroscopic force tends to keep things (wheels) in line.

There is a video I saw where a bloke deliberately induced a slapper by shoving the bars & then letting them go ..........straightened itself every time <i></i>
Hey guys, forgive my ignorance, but I was just wondering what exactly you are referring to when you mention "tank slapper". For me tank slapping has meant that when you go over a bit of a bump you end up whacking into the tank and having your balls squashed. From what I read here this doesn't seem to be the case and I was just wondering if someone could make it a bit clearer for me.

Much appreciated,
Paul. <i></i>
A tank slapper is when the front of your bike gets loose and the bars shudder from side to side(hence the name, in a bad one the bars can slap against the tank, but it depends a lot on the bike)

I wouldn't fuss too much about them on the busa though, I've had It happen a couple of times now, usually due to riding too hard and lifting the front slightly, crossing up when it comes down but as Busgo said It always seems to give a slight wobble and then correct itself. This isnt true for all bike and conditions though.... <i></i>
I once had a tank slapper.. I told her to get off <i></i>
only tank slap I have ever had was on this:

*Yes that is me in a size "Small" leather jacket.. I miss those days hahaha*

tank slap @ 120 & in a bad situation as well - I know the cause of it all as well - never had anything close since - but I'd sure love to be able to have a test bike & intro one & learn how to control it... they happen so fast at speed it seems you have not control of the outcome "Busa riders always count in three's.... 100, 200, 300"

<i></i>
probly get laughed at for this but my little cbr slaps alot mainly over road ripples in a strait line usally above 150 kmh i have found if you try to fight it it only gets worse as the mind cant keep up with the bars and any imput is always too late.just relax the arms hold the throttle on (if you can)and let the bike sort itself out the wheels always want to travel in a straight line so will usually pull the bike back into line.
not so easy mid corner but still achievable just need to use the legs to hold corner line of some sort.im so used to slappers now they make me giggle like a little school girl once there over.dont laugh at me too hard please:)
jaycbr250 Wrote:probly get laughed at for this but my little cbr slaps alot mainly over road ripples in a strait line usally above 150 kmh i have found if you try to fight it it only gets worse as the mind cant keep up with the bars and any imput is always too late.just relax the arms hold the throttle on (if you can)and let the bike sort itself out the wheels always want to travel in a straight line so will usually pull the bike back into line.
not so easy mid corner but still achievable just need to use the legs to hold corner line of some sort.im so used to slappers now they make me giggle like a little school girl once there over.dont laugh at me too hard please:)

One way to take out approx 80% is to get a steering damper
My youngest had a slapper around 220 and briused inner thighs (from knee to groin) and squashed the steering stops at Wakefield,, everyone cleared from the fence on the straight as they thought he and the bike were coming over.
Even without a steering damper, tank slappers shouldn't be a huge problem provided your aren't using a death grip on the bars. Head shakes normally work themselves out but the reason most turn so violent is the rider holding on tightly helps the headshake transfer through to the rest of the bike & boom, big tank slapper.

Loosen up on the bike and they'll correct themselves a plenty.