Tank Slappers
Slappers!Something the 12 was accused of!!

There are many things that can cause it.The best way to eliminate them(with out damper even on bikes like the 12 and zx10..) is to do the opposite from what started it.

Did you brake too much and one side gripped and head shakes?Let go of the brakes and even give a little throtle if neccecery before braking again.

Did you hit a bump and front chatters?Keep the gas on.

Did you land a wheelie hard?Power it up as soon as you can.

Did you accelerate hard and front wobbles?Roll the gas off a little.

There is no slapper than cannot be controled but the problem is space...Can you do anything of these to stop the slapper or the barriers coming closer??

Thing is that what a damper can control you can also easily.If the shake is hard dampers cannot....Just watch every race where it happens alot.
Dampers are there to let racers accelerate hard while still leaning with out the worry of the front wobbling.
The busa has a long wheelbase so even if the bars lock from side to side rapidly the stability of the rest of the bike isn't going to be affected like on a 1000cc bike.So relax and calm your self that slapper!!

P.S. These tips work on any bike,especially on the 12!!
Well the slapper i had bucked me off the bike like a wild bronco.
No barriers,no nothing.
Had all the room in the world lol.

Oh well what do u do!
I've had 2, both when I was a motorcycle cop in another jurisdiction.

Suzuki 550 3 cyl 2 stroke (Now you have a clue as to my advancing age) inner city pusuit bike. Take you hands off the bars at 30mph and it gradually starts to wnd itself into a slapper - Quick grab and you're back in control. Result o unbalanced steel panniers and valve radio behid the axle.

Now the real one

Yamaha XS660 twin cop bike again with friction drive siren. pulled the siren on while overtaking a car on a freeway, chasing a couple of bikies. Instant slapper. We were always told, loosen your grip and open the throttle to the stops, which is what I did while taking up best part of 2 lanes. Settled down at around the 100mph mark. Same bike put another office in hospial a few month later wih 2 broken legs, broken ribs etc. Evil handlers even at the best of times.
(02-09-2009, 04:32pm)amcmo Wrote: I've had 2, both when I was a motorcycle cop in another jurisdiction.

Suzuki 550 3 cyl 2 stroke (Now you have a clue as to my advancing age) inner city pusuit bike. Take you hands off the bars at 30mph and it gradually starts to wnd itself into a slapper - Quick grab and you're back in control. Result o unbalanced steel panniers and valve radio behid the axle.

Now the real one

Yamaha XS660 twin cop bike again with friction drive siren. pulled the siren on while overtaking a car on a freeway, chasing a couple of bikies. Instant slapper. We were always told, loosen your grip and open the throttle to the stops, which is what I did while taking up best part of 2 lanes. Settled down at around the 100mph mark. Same bike put another office in hospial a few month later wih 2 broken legs, broken ribs etc. Evil handlers even at the best of times.

It is a dirty job but someone has do itLol3
It's no garantee. But this may save you from a wooden boxScary
http://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/...?tid=13057
Loosen your grip on the bars and slight acceleration is often all that is needed. Otherwise may be a symptom of a problem with the bike.
Never had a tank slapper problem on the front of the 'busa.
(Have had a problem with the slapper on the back!)
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
(24-09-2009, 03:54pm)Ward P Wrote: Loosen your grip on the bars and slight acceleration is often all that is needed. Otherwise may be a symptom of a problem with the bike.

Lol slapper on the back!

Do you have an aftermarket damper on yours ward?
(26-09-2009, 06:56am)NEMESIS Wrote:
(24-09-2009, 03:54pm)Ward P Wrote: Loosen your grip on the bars and slight acceleration is often all that is needed. Otherwise may be a symptom of a problem with the bike.

Lol slapper on the back!

Do you have an aftermarket damper on yours ward?

My bike has the standard damper. Did have a problem with another bike once that nearly threw me, as you'd accelerate it just got worse and worse. Turned out to be a wheel balance problem. New front tyre, once balanced, all was good.

I did a superbike cornering school and was told "how many times do you see a slapper get worse and worse until it throws the rider, and then the bike straightens up and continues along after. - obvious problem is the rider, not the bike. Loosen the grip and let the tyres/suspension do what it's designed to do."
There are always exceptions of course.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
On the old Gixxer 750 H tank slappers can almost be a regular occurance for me, if I let it.

By riding with the ball of my foot on the pegs (just bellow the toe's reather than the heel) and my knee's squeezing into the tank I am able to push down on the pegs by simply opening up the angle of my foot.

When tank slap happens I squeeze the tank hard with my knee's and push down on the pegs at the same time. The harder I do this, or the more force I do this with the quicker the tank slape corrects itself. And as previously mention, I'm not locking down with grip on my handle bars
had my first tank slapper on the bylong today , hit a bump mid corner and next thing i'm fighting the bars.The 100km after that i took real easy. Are tank slappers more common on the gen 2 than the gen 1.
(29-11-2009, 07:28pm)09sydrd Wrote: had my first tank slapper on the bylong today , hit a bump mid corner and next thing i'm fighting the bars.The 100km after that i took real easy. Are tank slappers more common on the gen 2 than the gen 1.

Scary huh!

I would think they would be less common on a gen 2 due to
a better damper which is electronic an adjusts depending speed etc...
But just my opinion.

Having a tire 100percent balanced makes a difference too...
Ward P, Roc Stone. Both spot on. I've tank slapped from the exit of turn one eastern creek through to off turn 2 (the grass) in a F2 race on an RGV '95 (hmm, full lock slapper at about 170klm's (it was the first corner of the race!) for about 250m's, NOT FUN, PS- I had just smashed my left bar through the rear ducktail of a CBR 600 just prior to said tank slapper). 3 things. No steering damper, too tight on the grips, and not enough weight on the pegs. If it happens, have a steering damper. Then, you need weight on the pegs. This takes weight from the front, but if you are riding right, you should already be loading the pegs in some way because you are probably cornering or changing direction. Thirdly and the hardest thing to do, have rubbery arms. Keep the throttle the same but do not fight the bars! (WTF!!!) Throttle position should not be dictated by bar input. It will fix itself under these conditions generally.
Slight correction here.
The damper on the Gen II busa is not an electric one but it is stronger than the Gen 1 model.
I have had only one incident on the Gen II busa and it was a HUGE ridge on the exit of a bend that set it shaking, but only for 2 or 3 nods.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
I've had the busa for 2 weeks now and have had both instances happen - when the front wheel lifts and skips out of corners creating a bit of a head shake and when the back tyre gets damn hot and slippery and lets go on the way out of a corner.
in both instances if you react by letting the bike do it's own thing by straighening itself up it's no problem.
[Image: 27535_125512297482400_7285_n.jpg]TOASTY!
(02-04-2010, 08:16am)BUSGO Wrote: Slight correction here.
The damper on the Gen II busa is not an electric one but it is stronger than the Gen 1 model.
I have had only one incident on the Gen II busa and it was a HUGE ridge on the exit of a bend that set it shaking, but only for 2 or 3 nods.

I changed the oil in mine to 30w,
I had a few tank slaps at the drags ( fixed now)
You will be surprised how dirty your oil is even only after a couple of years Pi_thumbsup

Ps I think they are the same dampers Gen 1 & 2 the internals may have been changed but I'm not sure on that one Embarassed