Scraping the left side, oops (and showing off)
Went for a spirited ride the other day. Hadn't ridden my bike much in recent weeks, due to changing a couple of oil lines and updating stuff...

Was washing it down when I noticed this!

[Image: oops_zps86e890fc.jpg]

Scary that it happened on the road, somewhere in the Royal National Park (Sydney), I think, but haven't even had this happen on the track before!
On ya Pan Pi_thumbsup Why does it scrap on the metal though? It should really only wear that plastic pad or I am mistaken?
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Yeh, I'm confused. I need to check my suspension settings again. May have eased off the dampening.

I can imagine that if I suddenly dive into a left hand corner sharply, the front of the bike will be more loaded up, hence the metal scraping too. If it fell off the sidestand (as has happened before I had that guard), then just the plastic would get scratched up.

I really don't know. I was shocked, hence took the photo and posted it.
direction of the markings don't look consistant with road rash from lean angle....been riding up/down any gutters lately?

If ya take a hacksaw and cut from the kanji to the bolt....it would look like mine.....but that's from impact with a car.
I could not for the life of me get my stator cover/slider to touch down on the road....tyres would exceed thier limits from excessive lean angle and give away long before I got close enough.

Only guessing on yours, but I don't think it's lean angle related.
Tend to agree with BikerBoy. I think you would have damage elsewhere as well. Undecided
I can see what you mean, but I'm still confused.

Another theory: I used a grinder to save weight since less weigh = better corner speed!

No, I'd probably grind off other bits of the bike before I attacked that slider...
(19-08-2013, 01:55pm)pan Wrote: I can see what you mean, but I'm still confused.

Another theory: I used a grinder to save weight since less weigh = better corner speed!

No, I'd probably grind off other bits of the bike before I attacked that slider...

Pan, Have you checked yoour suspension? The busas are known for a bit weak springs in general and maybe your bike is sagging a lot decreasing available lean clearance. It can lift your wheels off the asphalt when you are least expect it. Biker Have you lowered your bike at all?
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Bike is stock height. Will check suspension...
grab a ruler and see if there can be rubbing occuring on that spot.
or, draw a line on the ground from centre of front tyre tread to centre of back tyre tread. then get a string and in to line at any point along bike.. by pulling string tight and going along body work you can see where/IF there are points that could rub
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
Pans original explanation was the best - I'll stick with that!
I thinks it's more the angle of the photo. It is possible to scrape those 2 little bolts to nice little edges (like mine are). So those scrapes are definitely probable, especially with a mid corner bump when the suspension is compressed. But those scrapes look more like continuous cornering to me.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
I've seen the lean angles you can achieve Wardy Scary so in that respect I have to agree.....it's totaly possible and Pan has now done it.
I'm also now thinking about the TT and the amount of bikes I've seen bottom out sparks flying mid corner.

For a bit of fun thrown in, I used the 3d model of my Busa which is accurate to a few mm, and the lean angle of my bike to hit the stator is 60.7 degrees (motoGP territory),
but I'd actually be grinding off my footpeg at exactly the same time...they are 1" higher and 1" back over stock position. Also my busa is 1" higher in the rear + 55 profile....so if anything's scraping on the road...it will be my ass, head, arms and legs from leaning too hard and wiping out. Not a chance I can do what you guys have.
( - for the above I haven't accounted for compression of susp, or tyre deformation....so it will be close but not accurate)

onya Pan!.....and ya didn't even know you'd done it. Clap
good to see your on it Pan
Biker
my belly pan when id fighter-ed my bus
[Image: 12680_3787374255062_1809912535_n.jpg]

close up
[Image: 734672_4114060582016_1467727524_n.jpg]
look next to the exhaust lol below the allen bolt
[Image: 11870925_10204352750091032_3366674167629...8f99a0b2f1]
Busa.

With pillion.

Chasing GSXR1000 and R6 ridden by track day mates