Lap timer
Back on the ship now so have a bit more time.

While at the track day I found several people with these set ups which I had never come across before. Ive seen plenty of different lap timers; but not this one.

This Qstarz GPS lap timer is stand alone and can download to your laptop/PC. Its 10 Hz so pretty accurate. Read all about it here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Qstarz-BT-Q10...ccessories&hash=item2a240d225b&_uhb=1

But what was interesting was that they also had Android phones linked to the Qstarz by bluetooth and running the free app RaceChrono. RaceChrono is an android only app and is pretty good on its own, but even better when it receives the better quality data from the Qstarz. And you can read it straight away, off the android, as soon as you get off the bike. Most of the people I spoke to had an 'old' android phone which you can pick up pretty cheap and never had a sim card for it - just used it as the viewer for the Qstarz.

The Qstarz data overlays on the RaceChrono which has plans for every race track in the world. The Phillip Island one looked great with split times for every corner. Its a great way to see how you improve through the day, and which corners you can do better on.

It was easy to use. The Qstarz just runs all of the time and automatically starts recording data when you move, and 'knows' the lap start/finish time itself.

Perhaps somebody in the forum knows more about it, and can explain it better?

The Qstarz can also be used for a whole lot of different tracking situations as well - road trips, drag racing etc.

The red Qstarz Q1000 (which I was told is the best model to get) cost $179, an android can be picked up for $50 (I am told that Aldi have a cheap unlocked one?) and the RaceChrono app is free.

I bought the Qstarz off ebay, and I'm now trying to figure out how to steal the ships Samsung Android!
It's excellent. It's what I've used for a long time! Qstarz + Racechrono gives you lots of data at the track. Then you have the bonus, when you go home, you get graphs and your speed at every point on the track for every session, you get to compare sessions, hit the "play" button and see a dot moving on the track representing your bike in "real time"... etc.

You're gonna love it. I put it just behind the trackie's seat on the edge of what's left of the subframe.

Here's one of mine from EC

[Image: EClap153on240412.jpg]
(29-08-2013, 03:42pm)pan Wrote: It's excellent. It's what I've used for a long time! Qstarz + Racechrono gives you lots of data at the track. Then you have the bonus, when you go home, you get graphs and your speed at every point on the track for every session, you get to compare sessions, hit the "play" button and see a dot moving on the track representing your bike in "real time"... etc.

You're gonna love it. I put it just behind the trackie's seat on the edge of what's left of the subframe.

Here's one of mine from EC

[Image: EClap153on240412.jpg]
Looks great!
Do you bluetooth the info to an android as well?
dah.. of course you do (read the post, Rob!)
You can use (almost) any GPS which has bluetooth. I use a $20 GPS from ebay with Race Chrono on a Win Mobile phone. Racechrono also works with earlier models of Nokia phones. if I remeber correctly they have a list of phones on thier web site.

When I last looked they did not have a iOS version of racechrono.

Cheers