Work Shop Bench - 2x4 Basics
Hi Everyone.

I recently went in search of a bench! a mans bench not that shit you can buy at bunnings with the 5mm mdf shelves. So after searching and deciding i didnt want to pay $500+ for a new bench of substance i decided second hand was the go until i stumbled across these things: http://www.2x4basics.com/WorkBench-Legs.asp

I bit the bullet and bought a set of the legs and shelf things to set it up myself. they are plastic and i was dubious but for the price i wasnt overly fussed if it turned to shit and i could just reuse the wood somewhere else.

cost of the legs and 6xshelf mate things off ebay - $145usd posted bought at almost parity so worked out to be $151 aud approx
Bunnings had some offcuts of 35x90 pine that was 1.2 long - $2x6 pieces
Masters had 35x90 in 1.8 long - $5x7 pieces
Sheets of 16mm mdf - $14x3 pieces
marine type clear vanish type stuff - $25

So all up im $265 in hole on this thing plus my time. I received the legs and was dubious still but they seemed solid enough so i got to work. 2 hours and 7 beers later i end up with the frame together minus the mdf as it is drying with there 2nd coat.

3rd coat goes on and its dry the next morning ready for action and i have this

Im pretty damn happy with the outcome. its solid as hell screws together with the supplied screws and you can make it any size you want upto 2.4x1.2m. i settled on 1.8x.6 as it suited my space and meant i didnt have to arse about with cutting mdf sheets as masters sells mdf in 1.8x.6Lol3 its really very easy to assemble and there are no fancy cuts needed just straight 90 degree cuts.

So how high is it you ask? well its a pretty standard 900mm high with the 16mm mdf.

overall im stoked for $260ish and a few hours of my time. it really is very solid and apparently can take upto 400kg per shelf. I havent put the shelves together yet as i dont really need them just yet. any questions ask away.

rating out of 10? well compared to anything else i found for the price.......10/10 for sure!
Regards

Dan
It's too clean and tidy - doesnt look right to me!
(Good job, mate!)[/align]
Nice job Dan. Now you just need to do 3 things to it.
Firstly, smash the shit out of something on it with a really big hammer.
Secondly, cover it in various amounts of paint (some sprayed, some dripped/spilt).
Lastly, put something valuable on it then set that thing on fire.

Your bench will now be christened, and have an authentic 'used by a real man' appearance.
If it's too loud....You're too old!
If it's too fast....You're too old!
If it's too sexy....You're ???
hahaha the first job for the bench is framing a large puzzle for the missus. after that ill hopefully have another motor to attempt to do a full rebuild on so i reckon it will get dinged up pretty good then.
Regards

Dan
Common dan.. Any good man bench must have some motor attached to it... The bigger the cc the better... Hot dog exhaust... And don't forget the bling. LOL
I always get more satisfaction from a self made rather than bought.... Specially when it's made to order
Congrats dude
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
In time mate I'm enjoying the cleaness of it all. Hahaha
Regards

Dan
that's a very good write up, I'm keen to put one together now.. Thanks for all the info.
I'll send you a nice photo of me in my chaps as payment ;-)
Regards Richard.....

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

[Image: l_b8cd83806072859a2e37a2a757a8eb9a.jpg]

Bench got a bit of paint on it last nightScary luckily the varnish stuff made it an easy wipe off with some turps and its back to being clean againTrophy
Regards

Dan