Brrrr. Cold start issue
my old 99 starts and dies al the fooking time when cold ,its a combination of things but keep in mind mines just been fully serviced ,shifu ,some efi motors have cold start problems i see it in my day to day job ,also i dont run 98 as it is a thinker slower burning fuel ,i only use 95,
[Image: 11870925_10204352750091032_3366674167629...8f99a0b2f1]
All Bow down to the mighty head mechanic at springwood suzuki for his wise advice doth work. I put a big dose of injector cleaner in yesterday and went for a 200km rip up country, this morning 9-degees, the bike started and quickly picked up reves, no conking out. fouled injectors for sure for sure. No doubt if you cain your bike to work every day you don't get the problem but for this old guy who rarely gets it over 8000 rpm and rides only twice a week on average they can clog up.

I read in a review that they upgraded the injectors in the G2 by adding a lot more holes, probably smaller? It could add to the fouling effect perhaps. Anyway I will make it a point to throw a dose through before every long ride, every few months for me. I don't like the idea of the shit sitting in my tank and fuel system for weeks on end but I added it to a half empty tank and filled up again when it was nearly empty.

Another thing I noticed this morning when the bike was warmed up was that I could hold it easily at 3000 or 4000 rpm (sorry neighbours) and the taco didn't hardly move. Before yesterday it would jump up and down a bit all the time. I though it was unbalanced throttle bodies. The amateur was wrong.
(20-07-2014, 08:34am)gringo Wrote: All Bow down to the mighty head mechanic at springwood suzuki for his wise advice doth work. I put a big dose of injector cleaner in yesterday and went for a 200km rip up country, this morning 9-degees, the bike started and quickly picked up reves, no conking out. fouled injectors for sure for sure. No doubt if you cain your bike to work every day you don't get the problem but for this old guy who rarely gets it over 8000 rpm and rides only twice a week on average they can clog up.

I read in a review that they upgraded the injectors in the G2 by adding a lot more holes, probably smaller? It could add to the fouling effect perhaps. Anyway I will make it a point to throw a dose through before every long ride, every few months for me. I don't like the idea of the shit sitting in my tank and fuel system for weeks on end but I added it to a half empty tank and filled up again when it was nearly empty.

Another thing I noticed this morning when the bike was warmed up was that I could hold it easily at 3000 or 4000 rpm (sorry neighbours) and the taco didn't hardly move. Before yesterday it would jump up and down a bit all the time. I though it was unbalanced throttle bodies. The amateur was wrong.
I have recently done the same on my 99 it had cold start problems and now it seems to be cranking fine and idles smoother.
Keep an eye on your oil because you may have increased deposits in there that will require an oil change, mine does!
What did you use? I used Redline Si-1, you get 3-4 tanks from a bottle
[Image: %24_35.JPG]
one more tank to go and then oil change
Ubi est Williams est via

[Image: bd2b8814-b7c2-42c7-8059-0811dae17364.png]
(19-07-2014, 05:20pm)A^K^T Wrote: A Shark Vision R ?
I bought one the other week , there's a little wind noise (particularly if you turn your head) but not too bad.
Wish I hadn't gone for the mat black one , have already scratched the paint.
Was going to buy a Reeview but it didn't fit me properly.

I found the cheek pads agrivating at the end of a 200k ride but I'm sure they will bed in. It's quieter than my last helmet which is nice but like you say a little wind noise up at 100km/h.

The tinted internal visor os ok, not as nice as my polarized sunglasses but the ability to leave it up when the sun goes behind you or is hidden in clouds for an extended period more than makes up for that. The best thing about the helmet for me though is the extended vision angles. I don't have to turn my head as much when checking over my sholder and I get a better feel for the traffic around me as I ride along. It's light as a feather too.

(20-07-2014, 09:28am)ohzone Wrote: I have recently done the same on my 99 it had cold start problems and now it seems to be cranking fine and idles smoother.
Keep an eye on your oil because you may have increased deposits in there that will require an oil change, mine does!
What did you use? I used Redline Si-1, you get 3-4 tanks from a bottle

I just used some cheap NULON injector cleaner I had laying around, I don't buy into the whole brand name thing myself. Shell Helix or valvoline XLD premium is a good enough oil if I change it every 5000.

I have used car oil for yonks and my last bike at 100,000km had perfect cam lobes and didn't blow an ounce of smoke or use hardly any oil between changes. I just wait until the oil is on special at places like autobarn and stock up on 5 or 6 packs. The guy that runs suspention improvements here in briso (used to be head mech at honda in moss st) told me he puts any old oil in his. Even deisel oil. That was enough to break my fetish for $60 oil.

Of course if I regularly redlined my bike I might need the extra protection the botique stuff purportedly gives.
Too right I put 1/3 bottle of injector cleaner through every three to six months.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
(20-07-2014, 10:16am)gringo Wrote: I have used car oil for yonks and my last bike at 100,000km had perfect cam lobes and didn't blow an ounce of smoke or use hardly any oil between changes. I just wait until the oil is on special at places like autobarn and stock up on 5 or 6 packs. The guy that runs suspention improvements here in briso (used to be head mech at honda in moss st) told me he puts any old oil in his. Even deisel oil. That was enough to break my fetish for $60 oil.

Of course if I regularly redlined my bike I might need the extra protection the botique stuff purportedly gives.

There is nothing wrong with using diesel oil in motorbikes. Shell Rotella for example performes brilliantly in modrn motorbike engines. Unfortunately it is not available in Australia. However I would be carefull with using car oils as a lot of them contain friction modifiers and will f$#ck up your clutch plates fibers.
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
never have cold start probs. always fires up first time, recently stood for over 2 mths, ezy start. Maybe coz I have only been using BP Ultimate for the last 10 yrs on the bike. supposedly keeps injectors clean due to additive in Ult. ps. battery is always on trickle charge. My CBR is a nightmare to start, if standing longer then 3 days. 25yo bike reckon the carby has never been cleaned in its life, so looking to do that one day.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
Most of the Penrite Diesel oils have "Suitable for motorcyles with wet clutches" on the back label.
Clean the air temp sensor in the air box.

I had this problem for years ...... until this week. I started by reinstalling the restrictors in the mufflers (Micron Slip-Ons), put a stock air filter back in and gave the sensor a quick wipe with a soft clean rag and then sprayed it with MAF sensor spray.

It started a treat after that so I then, pulled the restrictors back out (started fine) and then put the K&N air filter back in and it still started fine.

I'm thinking the air temp sensor might have got some residue on it.

Regards

Michael