I rented a car in Los Angeles.....
so I rented a car from a car hire company who just operate out of Southern California I won't name them. I rented it for two weeks (start of this month) and when I returned there car I showed them a small mark on the bumper (my fault) I wasn't concerned because I took out there insurance. The guys at drop off said no problem , no deductible and dropped us off at the airport.
When I get home I get an email requesting $1200 to pay for damages telling me the insurance they sold me was just the compulsory third party , would only cover others damages.

Anyway they say 7 days or we will file a lawsuit against you

My question is how international lawsuits work?
Could they? Would they? Any experience of this?

I would expect to pay this if I hadn't paid for insurance
Is email form insurance Co or form rental co?

IMO... if from insurance then they have agents globally, or part of a global conglomerate and I would tell them to go through their Australian counterpart. If from rental agency tell them to go jump.... you could offer say a $200 payment for settlement but only after a lot of back and forth communication.

Do you have copy of your rental agreement/insurance for the car (I never throw away any overseas documents until 7 years after date) ?

If a law suite goes ahead in USA it may have no immediate effects on your here BUT it may effect your chances of revisiting USA in the future as a warrant for non payment could be issued by courts.

I am sure others have different opinions and a lot more knowledge
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
IMO tell them to get f.....d. did you get a signed acceptance of vehicle condition return? if so tell them twice

Also many do not know but car rental insurance is never fully comp with no deductible and the extra you pay is not worth the money spent.

Sounds like they are trying to get you to pay for more than a tiny scratch...probably some douche at the depot damaged it and they want you to pay. Ask them to send a photo of the damage demand an independent valuation....tell them to get f....d...lol!
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
Yes they gave me report saying I owe nothing etc.. I was confident they are just trying it on...

They say they don't use insurance for their repairs they just want me to pay the body shops quote

I have travel insurance that will pay an insurance excess but they just want me to pay the bill

I'll just ignore it
Send them your travel insurance details.... If they are serious then they will place a claim if they are BS'ing (as it sounds) then they will forget it.

I would try to deal with it rather than forgetting about it cause a simple law suite now could stuff up your future plans.
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
F... that I would be getting in touch with their head office and asking them what the hell they think they are playing at...you have a signed release form.

Tell them you want a detailed description with photographic evidence of this 1200 dollar scratch and a copy of the written quote...I certainly would not be sending them any details of any insurance might have bought nor any payments.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast