Advice Wanted
I want to up-grade the standard exhaust on my bus but after taking to various dealers I'm lost to which way to go, bolt-on's or 4-2-1 system.

I really liked the Two Brothers system but unfortunately it's too expensive so they don't import into Aus anymore.

From what I've learnt so far is that bolt-on twin cans isn't much cheaper then base level 4-2-1 systems. But if you go with a 4-2-1 system do you need to do the re-mapping - some dealers say no some say yes.

So I thought I ask the people who would know, if anyones got experience or knowledge they could pass on it would be greatly appreciated. Even some pictures of they pipes on the bike would help because I'm lost whether it's better to stick with the twin pipes or go the single system.

Tony <i></i>
I've state earlier that I love the look and note of the megacycle slip ons that I have. But look wise, there are few systems that are unappealing. I love the tri-oval cans and given the choice again, I may have gone that way, or even with a high mount system.

There are some awesome systems around, and I don't know enough to really comment on them, but I too was always led to believe that a new system without a remapping was a waste, and that you would not get the full benefits. <i></i>
Hi Evero,

From my experience and having had the bike now for 2 and a half years, had stocks, 4 into 1 and now slip ons. Stock are the smoothest in low revs but boring as in whisper.

4 - 2 - 1, some are nice, some are a waste of money, if you are a performance freak, guess that would be the way to go, not that it adds much, but rather makes the bike a touch lighter, but for many as I, a good diet would be more effective. I had a full Akropovic system once but sold it and wouldnt reccomend purchasing them at $2200 odd.

If money wasnt an object I would have to say I love the HMF high mounts from the states, 4-1-2. Not cheap but looks awesome and told sound great. Price would be close to the $2400 mark I guess.

If you like to hear a rumble as I now do, you cant do much better than a pair of cans from Remus for sound and quality around the $12-1400 mark for the pair. megacycle has a good note and locally made, and cheaper, though personally am not keen on the looks. Remus is made in Austria and is renowned for its quality.

Hope this helps you out somewhat. <i></i>
Sounds like good advise to me Volvi. I had a full Yoshi system on my 99, I suppose I gained a few horsepower and saved a few kilos. But in the real world most are just for show. When I get my next Busa I will go for slip ons. There is a local bloke here in Victoria that makes a good muffler, (good price too)and he can tweak it for your own personal noise level. (How good is that?) He has tweaked a Yoshi and an Akropovic for me, and I'm very happy with his work.
Try Ballistic mufflers in Geelong. (Kym)
Hope this helps.
Ride safe. Cheers Phil. <i></i>
There is another Australian brand (whose name slips my mind at this moment) who are getting pretty good wraps too. Disclock has them. Disclock? You there? <i></i>
Richard - Guess you're talking about www.madaz.com.au/ <i></i>
Thanks, Ozi, they're the ones! <i></i>
BTW as at 05/02, Madaz only do slip ons, don't have b2b dynos and run at about 105 DBA.

The guys there seem helpful and nice enough and say that the slip ons pull more torque. Sad part is, without the dynos, no-one can confirm how much that is. <i></i>
Evero

I have in the past played with the idea if performance or noise is what I really wanted. I am fortunate enough to have a close friend who is involved with "StreetBike" mag - who was looking for a bike to carry out some exhaust tests with.

I gave him a lend of my second Bussa "2000 Model" which they proceeded to fit a set of 4-2-1 "Magnum" Carbon. After the dyno test with the original exhaust fitted first, and then secondly after the "Magnum" was fitted - the difference was only 4HP at top end.

After taking the bike for it's first ride after having the new exhaust, I noticed it was very rough at low speed and low revs, and hesitate to accelerate through a certain throttle area.

We sent the bike back to Graham Morris Motor Cycles (who fitted the Magnun in the first place) and after final testing found that they had to reset the throttle position switch, and also cut the pink wire that runs to the EFI unit to make the thing run smoothly again.

If I was going to do this all again, and looking back on the 2000 bike exercise - for the cost of the Magnum at $2,000.00 just to reap another 4HP out of the bike - I'll probably look at a set of Carbon Bolt-On's - and go for the noise factor or check out a set of HMF high mounts from the states 4-1-2 which I did recently while visiting New York. The cost was about $1350.00 US - approx $2850.00 AUD.

And have something different !

Good luck with your quest, and safe riding
<i></i>