New bling at Thunder - Long winded, be prepared. Busa Player
G’day lads, I haven’t been around lately, except really late at night. There is a reason. As is my way, I have been developing a few things for our beloved Busas. The first one is an onboard amplified MP3 set up. Stay with me here as I go into painful detail. I have tried dozens of combinations and this is one that works like I hoped.

There are six major parts:

Helmet specific headphones,
Inline Tube Amplifier with charger,
Wireless Remote,
Ipod Nano,
Headphone lead outlet, and
Custom Cover.

Helmet specific headphones

I personally hate buds in my ears. I can’t hear the traffic or the bike, they make my ears swell after a few hours and my big lugs make it near impossible to get my helmet on without them falling out. I have to tape them in. Mine have been specially made with the helmet in mind. They silicon right inside the lining and it folds back right over it. You can’t feel them at all. The headphones make the music vibrate around inside the helmet, so it sounds much like a car stereo and you can hear perfectly well, even talk with them on. Independently they cost $55/set.

Inline Tube Amplifier with charger

I have had this specially built of this purpose in California by a MIT engineer. An Asian one. Basically it is a point-to-point wiring amp not a printed circuit board amp. This little gem uses a pair of low noise, precision OP27F Op-Amp in gold plated sockets. I built and test many difference configurations and component values and come up with this version. This op-amp widely used in high end phono pre-amplifier circuit because its accurate high gain amplification of low level signals. A gain-bandwidth product of 8Mhz and 2.8 V/usec slew rate provides excellent dynamic accuracy in audio amplification. Bass is deeper and tightened, sweet mid range and detail high frequencies you've never heard before. I am confident that this is the best sounding, highest quality amplifier. This quality is achieved by a combination of precise circuit design and high quality components. Did I say, simply. Sorry. I got all this straight from the horses mouth. Tai built these with the product in mind and under my direction. I prepared it for the Aussie market as far as taking on mains here and the packaging. He couldn’t get his head around the differences for some reason.

Some special features:
• Pair of OP27F in symmetrical configuration.
• All precision metal film resistors.
• 10K stereo volume control.
• Gold plated IC socket.
• Military spec. box-type coupling caps.
• Super bright red LED.
• All silver plated wires point to point soldering with silver bearing solder.
• Hard plastic battery connector.
• High quality stereo input/output jacks (Japan made).
• Built-in charger for NiCd or NiMH will save your money for the battery.
• Independent cost is $120.

Wireless Remote

It is just an off the shelf remote that sits snuggly on the head. No big mystery here. These are $15. There is nothing wrong with this one and it is splash resistant but I have better ones but they are $60. For fun, the good ones can change the music track on the car near you at the lights.

Ipod Nano

Nothing to know here either. I get them for $320 and am happy to supply the Ipod. You can probably get them cheaper on Ebay and I don’t really want a dickhead commenting on how much an ipod is. We have had plenty of that this week.

Headphone lead outlet

I have some pretty long heavy duty extension cords. You can run them wherever suits you or follow the directions. I get them from Brissy for $8. Preferably, the cord run form the unit and runs down the loom on the left. The residual is contained under the seat, in case you change your mind as too where you want it. The outlet comes out under the tank edge, roughly below your waist. Easy in, easy out and won’t melt in summer traffic.

Custom Cover

The whole unit is contained in a case that is easily removed and attached. Velcro of course. It fits snuggly between the screen and dash. You can be up and going in just a couple of seconds. The cover has a special hole for the wireless to see the Nano receiver. It fits snuggly under the seat for security and can be run from there with little problem. However, the remote will have to be a corded one because the wireless can not penetrate the bodywork. Line of sight and all that. These come in at $25.

So the whole thing comes in at $538. I will cop the postage for board members, of course. This a nice unit and I have spent countless hours breaking perfectly good components in the name of onboard entertainment. Take a look at the pics and let me know if you are interested and I will build some more.

I am on Thunder_composites@primusonline.com.au

Regards,
Glen Tittor
<i>Edited by: glen66 at: 15/6/06 11:38 pm
</i>
these are great. I have looked everywhere on line to find a similar item and nothing. i just wish i knew how to make little bluetooth. Of course, then i would be on the NASA forum. I am already a shocking nerd behind closed doors. I would hate to have the t-shirt to prove it.

Anyway, they are flat as flat. A couple of mm. Ignore the snot on them, I must have been a little reckless with the silicone. I took these images because I was proud of the work. i didn't think they would be out there in the world but here they are.

<i>Edited by: glen66 at: 15/6/06 10:37 pm
</i>
Everytime I post two images it looks stupid. 1 at a time. Hey Dean, did you get the email I sent you a couple of days ago. I have some work for you if you are interested.

<i>Edited by: glen66 at: 15/6/06 10:35 pm
</i>
Im really interested, have an ipod already but. Could you post a close up of the headphones that excites me as i have tried numerous earphones etc and they all hurt after a couple of hours

Cheers

Webdesigner, Photographer and all round hoon :)<i></i>
No i didnt. Please snd through again dean@cititek.com.au

Cheers

p.s I think ill have a few sets of the headphones too and some other stuff

Webdesigner, Photographer and all round hoon :)<i></i>
Fitted those head phones into my helmet Glenn work a treat thanks mate
Regards Rob

never argue with a fool he will just drag you down to his level and he will beat you with experience<i></i>
The headphones look great.... I'd like to get a set... although I'll stick with the more traditional plug-in setup with my player. Can I ask where you get them and how much ?

The older I get, the better I was. Regards.... Rob<i></i>
Glenn 66 had them astro but not sure if he has any left .
i put mine under the lining of my lid and they are perfect no more sore ears and you can still here all the road noise and traffic ect.send glenn a pm and see how you go Regards Rob

never argue with a fool he will just drag you down to his level and he will beat you with experience<i></i>
I can't get the little parts anymore. god damn it. I am trying like all hell to find another old guy with nothing better to do than make bits for us. I'm not holding my breath though. It seems trickier to find good electronic people than I thought. Must have lucked out the first time. I will soon turn my hand to making them from scratch but who knows how good they will be. Speaking of it, I had a yank lose his mind because I didn't carry these any more. Talk about having your heart set on an item. He calmed down after a week or so.

On the upside, very shortly I am going to post some as yet unseen items up on here. I have just unwrapped them and they are orsm.

Regards to all,
Glen.

PS: How shithot was our boys, Chris and Casey, on the weekend? That's the way, ahh ha, ahh ha, I like it. <i></i>
Aw well... if the speakers come available again, give me a yell. Thanks anyhoooo.....
The older I get, the better I was. Regards.... Rob<i></i>
Will do. I still have the little amps on the shelves, if that is any good news. <i></i>