Occasionally won't start?
G'day all,
I was hoping one of you could shed some light, on a problem which has just developed on my Busa?
The other day after riding down the Peninsula, I shut the motor down and attempted to restart it again within approximately 5 minutes. It simply wouldn't crank over at all! It had ignition but that was it!
After another 4-5 minutes it restarted O.K. Has anyone heard of this problem before and if so, I'm all ears for a solution?
Could it be the safety switch on the clutch lever causing me the grief, or is it likely to be something more major, such as a starter solenoid?
As I'm off to Canberra/Sydney tomorrow, I was hoping to rectify the problem quickly, as naturally I don't want any nasty surprises.

Any advice welcome?

Macka.
<i></i>
hi macka

check the side stand switch operation sometimes they get a bit of dirt behind the rubber boot which can cause the actuating shaft to bind interfering with the switch operation, a good clean and lube soon overcomes the problem however, if that's not the problem i have a mate who is a top notch auto electrician and is prepared to give it a quick check for you, give me a call on 0417886634 if you wish,,

les <i></i>
Give the tip over sensor a tap, they get stuck to the side if the bike is put on the sidestand too quickly. <i></i>
Had same problem, would not crank. It was a slightly corroded starter switch from washing it to much. Dont fall in the trap of overlooking the simple things. It took me 3 hrs of stuffing around to find it.

Ardvark <i></i>
Read an article on fuels in two wheels 2 weeks ago.short story is a person starting having the same problem with a bandit.Using premium fuel all the time the problem got worse an worse possibly due to fuel density with a hot motor,went back to regular for a while and fixed it.Strangely enough I experienced the some problem on a couple of hot days so I tried a tank of regular and it fixed it.Maybe it was coinsidence I don't know yet. <i></i>
I read the problem as "won't crank" rather than "wont start". I doubt premium fuel or a faulty fuel pump roll over switch is going to stop the engine from cranking.

The starter circuit is fairly straight forward to diagnose.

Hope this helps.

Ardvark <i></i>
All,

Thanks for you're thoughts on my Busa cranking problem. It turned out to be the safety switch on the clutch lever afterall. After pulling it apart I noticed that the contact points had dirty terminals and weren't making the desired connection. Some liberal use of WD40 and a light file of the contacts, fixed the problem.
One would think that in this day and age of technology, we wouldn't be using contact points would you?

Macka.
<i></i>