bolt definately made out of cheesecake
mounting rear brake caliper with 2 bolts. Tightening one of them melted in my hand, cap with 1 cm screw in my hand remainder of bolt in housing. Frat. I noticed when removing them they were both narrower in girth (thickness) closer to the top. Dunno how the hell bolts lose weigh on the waist but thats where bolt gave away like soft cheesecake. Dissapointing cant one expect bolts to be tough steel.

Anyway back to prob in hand. What advice can you give in removing bolt from within housing. Yea I realise one way drilling it out etc. tho am afraid of fragging housing thread and dont wanna replace caliper just for that.

So please advise any safe method how to remedy this prob. Cant remove caliper off bike.

Thx in advance.
try an ezy-out mate, most good tool shops/hardware should have em. They are kinda like a thread tap but work in reverse.
You can also get reverse twist drill bits.
I had the same thing happen & an ezy-out fixed the prob. Edited by: LARDASS at: 30/3/06 4:51 pm
Myself being a mechanic, I always use ezy-outs.... but the square ones (US made) much better and grab harder.

U could also try another method. ....Does the bolt go thru to the other side - in other words can you see the tail of the bolt?? If so, just drill thru from behind with lubricant sprayed at other side where broken, and watch bolt unwind itself out of hole.... Works a treat with a smaller drill bit, and pressing a bit harder than the norm.

Cheers, Peter
ah good method aero, but no other side inaccesible due to facing rotor. will check out the ezy-out in the morning. am told the bolt got 'skinnier' up top due to stretching ie over tightening. must get a torqe wrench one day. but strength of bolt material cant be much good, having said that I ordered a couple of oems.
The 2 allen head bolts are waisted on the shank, the two hexhead bolts should be uniform dia
Told ya!

Yeah

these are the hex heads mounting bolts not the caliper join allen head.
Why cant you get the caliper off
Take the wheel off
disconect the brake line
disconect the brake stay bar & it will be in your hand
simple fix it on the bench
partially removed wheel, axle housing dropped off allowing screw removal from other side of caliper. all done. thx for the replies.
Well done Volvi glad it all worked out for you.
Volvi, with the bolts, I don't personally know them, what they look like, but Torque is important on them!

As Rev would know too, braking systems get hot rapidly, and can cool quickly with water or cool air from being low to road. If you do them up very tight - there is no room for expansion or contraction with the component - if it requires it?! Most would have a loc-o-seal washer under head to allow for torque and heat expansion. I don't know the set-up tho.

Maybe you should borrow a torque wrench, as you would be surprised of the torque. Once done, stick on your own spanner/racthet and get the feel for how tight it is - so you can do it next time for yourself.

Cheers, Peter