ME and the Bus going to europe
G'day guys,

I'm going touring, in style.... I aquired the steel shipping crate the bikes come over from japan in, i'm crating it tomorrow and its off the next day on its way.... first stop Turkei, Greece, Germany, Italy blah blah blah... whatever i'm leaving on thursday also.

i done the previously unthinkable and put on a ventura rack and rjays 95litre bag also... got the tankbag already... nstalling oggynobs t-morrow just in case :P

should be fun,
stay tuned for whereabouts reports.

JEs

You lucky man Italy's autostrada's on the Bus with coppers few & far between & disinterested for the most part in the land where speed was invented & encouraged

Give the coast road from Naples to Positano a miss, it's hairy, 300 foot drop to the water if you f*** up & the "armco" doesn't stop you
Alore, arrividerci pisan
- Sick with jealousy and envy
Shit-hot and have a great time. If you start having problems with the locals constantly driving straight at ya, change sides, you're probably on the wrong side of the road!

Cheers and European Beers bloke.

Max Madmax - GSX1300R Black and Blue Buses Rule
Good Bike, Good Woman, Good Road, Good Weather, Good God - Good Bye!
Smith and Wesson - The original point and click interface.
...are also good biking countries. Germany's autobahn is everything you've read, and the cars know to look out for things travelling at speed. Watch what road you're on though. Some of them look like no speed limit autobahn, but a copper issuing on the spot fines soon lets you know you got it wrong. That said they tend to only book the locals.

France has the most bike aware car drivers I've ever seen. If you're in the 'fast lane' of the motorway and some slow car driver is about to make you knock 20mph off your speed, just indicate as if you're going to go into the central reservation and "hey, presto" they move over! It's like flashing your lights except you get a quicker response.

The UK has fantastic biking roads too, especially if you're foreign, because like here you're only likely to be stopped in the interest of raising some revenue.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. What they gonna do? Take your licence away?

If you get any real trouble, just say you're on your way to the nearest other country to the one you're in.

Final bit of advice, women with their tits out in Italy are boys with breast implants. Be careful in Holland and Germany too...so they tell me.
you realise you gotta bring Back lots of present's Better put extra Bag's on that bike
No good luck and stay the right side up lucky bugger Black & Blue Busa's Rule
The journey is more important than the destination
I'll see you there! Going to France for 6 weeks for work, but with no Busa.... my mate borrowing mine. Will watch out for the Aussie plates on the road! Have a wicked time!!!!
Peter
Good move
Can vouch for the chunnel over to (ben)Dover , UK roads OK you'd slide in a track day at brands or donington surely, Scottland roads are topclass anywhere other than Edinburgh or Glasgow can't go wrong. Back down to Liverpool, ferry to IOM?? couldn't go there without doing that??

Irish roads?? probably best compared to a third world countryD"> but good Craic

enjoy your trip...
Hey Aerocat4, do you need someone to carry your bags?

I'd come close to murder to get back to Europe! -385-
XOCET
Yeah sure Ressac, it will be pretty heavy tho......

.....ALREADY GOT 3 PEOPLE HIDING IN SUITCASES !!!

And left 1 case empty for all the mandatory gifts apparently I must bring back!!!!
Can I ask what has work got you doing in France? I know Europe's aero industry has been on the up for the past 5 or so years, but why are you only going for 6 weeks (training?) -385-
XOCET
Howdy Ressac, I did actually post a reply yesterday, but it never made it thru to here. Was using a work computer without my user name in it so..... don't know?!

I am actually quitting both of my jobs to go over to France for about 4-6 weeks of Diesel Engine training. I have been chasing this job up for the last year with some long hours put into it. Gambling a lot of money and career jobs on leaving for a course. The actual course is run by a company called SMA (Renault, Snecma and other leading F1 Technology and high-tech companies also involved). They are beginning to produce 'diesel' powered engines into aircraft, that will retro-fit into most AVGAS piston powered aircraft. I will be going to attend a course on the technical aspects of fitting and the principles associated with newer computer technology of modern diesel engines.

I don't know what you know about general aviation (the small aeroplanes of upto 20 seaters that we refer to as 'Bug Smashers') but basically without boring you, there is going to be a big change in the future for AVGAS users. AVGAS is leaded fuel, which is now on its way out in the automotive industries. Racing clubs are also finding it hard to get. You'll find it will be banned at most race meets soon, unless for special reasons. I used to run all my vehicles on AVGAS, but gone are those days, especially when the cops book you for it! Soon it will become extinct from aviation use all together due to environmental demands and negative impacts. So..............what are all the piston engine powered aircraft going to run on???? (Can't run on water - we're in a Drought, can't run on Air - too polluted in Melbourne, and can't run on gas - Coode Island / Longford plant too unreliable with explosions !!!! )

Basically, there is only 1 company that produces TEL (Tetra Ethyl Lead) for leaded AVGAS fuel in the world. If that company stopped, well about 7000 small aircraft in Australia and shit loads world-wide would be grounded. Millions out of work litterally! Apparently, Europe have laws that prohibit use of AVGAS for commercial use after 2007, and in OZ after 2015, due pollution controls. Because ordinary unleaded fuel is shit and freezes and gums up at altitude in flight, it is mostly useless. The only type fuel that is so readily available and becoming cheaper and easier to use is JET-A1 (kerosene, also referred to as Diesel). JET-A1 is fuel that your typical Boeing jet and helicopter uses. The world advertises these new engines as 'diesel' powered because they use all the principles, but are air-cooled instead of water-cooled, and are capable of running on well refined Diesel. Diesel fuel in Europe is so well refined and clean, thats why half their cars are diesel, but Australia has shitty diesel, but is getting better as time goes on. Won't go into the specs. The engines won't become popular into outback aircraft just yet until we can recieve cleaner diesel, so that farmers can just top up a quick 1000 litres into their aircraft, whilst filling the CAT bull-dozer.

These new 'diesel' powered aircraft will be much safer with only 1 power lever instead of 3-4 like older technology aircraft (throttle (manifold), pitch (RPM), mixture, and carburetor heat/alternate air). The fuel range will also be 1.4-1.8 times greater with longer flight times. Fuel burn will reduce from 38L/per hour down to 20L/per hour for a small single engine powered aircraft, and cockpit computers will let you know of faults, much like modern cars! Monkeys could be pilots soon... !!!! The 230hp and 300hp versions are all 4-cylinder turbo-charged powerplants.

TO ALL THE BUSA LOVERS, there could well be a diesel powered bike coming out in the near future due to newer technology and limited fuel resourses. I'm tipping 8 years before someone has one fitted to a motorbike for experimental purposes! ........Who loves that smell of burnt jet fuel ?? Well, if you want it now, just buy the Y2K bike!! Could be on my Busa soon.......

Cheers, Peter (Pierre)
Cool stuff Aero!
Good luck with it all.

Will U be able to make my old Fergy 35 fly?
-j-
That was great Aero, I knew I should've done the fuel sniffers course when I had the chance. My work involves mostly rotary wing, but we us AVTUR (turbine engines), not AVGAS. We also use regular Diesel when no-one is watching. Usually requires an engine service afterwards, but that's for you grease monkies to do.

Good luck with the training and hope it pays off (motivated people are always rewarded ... eventually). By the way, I was always of the understanding that monkeys do fly aircraft now! (not that you're a monkey rev, you have other redeeming qualities ) -385-
XOCET