Well I sure did f*ck myself good!
But at least I can still get insurance!

Called up RACV to get 3rd party, $212.85 premium, and with my speeding infringement of 40+ k's over the speed I chose [accidentally] the 'Speeding - 30 < 40kph' bracket. Excess would have been $850 + $600 for speeding = $1450, but then I realised my mistake. I didn't want to have them find out that I was actually 70+ over speed limit and cancel the insurance or refuse it, so I called back up and got the speed thing fixed up.

30 < 40 kph over was their highest speeding bracket, so the chick had to talk to her manager. She verified that I had said it was '70 but < 80kph over' about 4 times and I thought I was f*cked. Man it sure does sound bad [I guess in most peoples eyes it is, hrmmm, I spose it should be in mine as well..] and I thought I was screwed.

10 minutes later, they talked to their underwriters and said that the excess would be more [duh] - $1400 on top of the $850 excess = $2250 excess.. -deep breath-

F*ck me.

But, they said that I would be able to insure, still with the $212.85 premium. That is peanuts, compared to the $2700 I was paying for full comp with Swann - there's no way I'm going full comp again, not till I'm rating 1.
And get this, once I'm 25, with no accidents, I'm a rating 1. What the?

So, can anyone give me any info on payouts for accidents that you know of? How likely is it to cause over $2500 worth of damage? I'll still be taking out the policy - it's better than nothing. Of course I don't plan on anything happening, but I've heard too many horror stories of drivers/riders causing huge $$ bills with no insurance at all.

At least I can get free maps from RACV now [I think].

Comments?

-jon-
I've been doing the same with RACV on all my bikes so far.

$2500 damage? Easy. Dropped mine through a slow (slippery) corner at relatively low speed (15km/h i reckon) and did the left and front fairing, front fairing bracket, mirror and engine casing. Didn't touch the rear fairing thank god.

Don't cause an accident!

If you happen to drop it, take out full comp, let it sit in the garage for 6 months, and then make a claim.
Peter Altas
BUSA-1
Yep slong had mine for 4 weeks and the Busa rolled of its stand $2670 worth of damage and worst part was 9 weeks later she arrived back home

regards Bill
Hi Pete, long time since ya been around. Good to have ya back .
hahaha,
man, neither of those plans would work.
For me to get Full comp it would cost $2800 base, plus anything they might charge for the speeding infringement, plus the excess.

I've kinda got almost a whole set of plastics that I could get resprayed, i'm not too worried about the fairings, but damage to the left side pokey-out cover [stator cover??] and the crank is of more concern.

cheers,
jon

But apart from damage to our own bike, has anyone got any figures on damage done to others?

Holy Shit $2800 BASE plus excess as well a, how much is your excess another $1500 ? as well
I work with a guy who folded a new Hyundai Excel in half with his Trumpi Daytona a few years back. Hit it at around 100kays. T-barred it and flew over the top when she pulled out (I think he was in an 80 zone at the time). Obviously f****d his bike but wrote her car off too.

He was badly bruised luckily, but nothing broken - thank god for full leathers eh!

Most cars are piss weak for side impact damage and cost a fortune to repair as you'll ususlly get the chassis too. A 12 grand hyundai could have easily been a 70 grand HSV.
Peter Altas
BUSA-1