Brakes
OK Les, you had a good point with brakes.

Before I put in my thoughts here, just note that it is productive if you want to talk about something different, let's start it in a new topic, so that we can keep "brakes" discussion apart from "user levels" and "tshirts".

I had to replace my rear pads at 6000 k's, and like you, thought my riding style was flawed. Since then, I have been conscious to see if I am riding the brakes, and I don't. I think I just place more reliance on the rear. I spoke to a few people "in the know" and was told to not alter my riding style (no point having an accident trying to save the brake pads ) but to just be aware that I might go through pads quicker than others, and accept that I will have to fork out a bit more frequently than others.

Ultimately, it is just getting used to a heavier bike, I suppose (I have not had a bike this big before )!

Front, on the other hand, has heaps of pad on it, and I reckon I use my front brakes fairly heavily - You figure it!
I am still on my original pads now almost to 16,000k's go figure????
I replace my rear pads around every 7,000kms as well.
I think it all depends on the type of riding you do. IE: If you do a lot of touring then you don't use brakes but clock up the kms but if you ride around the city and take off fast and stop fast at all the lights and the idiots cutting you off then you tend to use the rear brake a lot harder than normal.
I'm sure you have all taken off real fast only to catch the next red light and as your squeezing the brakes harder and harder the adrenalin starts to pump and you think @#%$ i am not going to stop in time, I'm going to die . Just one of the downfalls of riding the meanest mother of a bike in the world
BTW My front pads get a real work out but still have heaps left on them at 18,000kms.
But don't listen to me, I'm just a @#%$ing learner Edited by Darryl  at: 8/1/00 6:49:05 pm
LOL Darryl....couldnt stop laughing...good 1. Get back on your postie bike man!
Volvi - 16000? You don't ever slow down, do you
Im still on the the original pads at 21500 kays.I normaly use dunlopad when i replace them.What do you guys use and how good are they.
I actually adjusted my rear brake lever down more so that it was in a more natural position as with the clutch and front brake. just an idea...
I did my rear brake pads after only 5000 kms and ended up having my foot leaver lowered believing it was me inadvertantly resting my foot on them. I now believe that it was'nt me as there is too many people suffering from the same problem!
since the replacement of my second set of rear brakes at 19,000 k and reading some of the members input, i made some enquiries as to why there is such disparity in rear brake life between riders, here are some comments;;

the life expectancy of rear (and front) brake linings is influenced by many factors such as load, riding style, traffic conditions and even ambient temperatures,

you may not be conscious of just how much you do use your rear brake and remembering also that your foot can exert far more pressure than your hand,

if you are doing most of your travelling in city conditions you would tend to wear out your rear brakes sooner than someone like jamie for example, who lives in the country and does a fair amount of highway kilometres,,

if you are a heavier person (like me for example) and/or you often take a pillion, that would also impact significantly on the life expectancy of your brakes - rear in particular,,

most current rider education schools will teach you to optimally utilise your rear brakes and subsequently you will rely on them more than uneducated (no offence intended here) riders tend to therefore, returning shorter life expectancy,

in conclusion; there is nothing to be concerned about if your busa has only returned 5 - 8,000 k's out of a set of rear brake pads...