AMCN
Hey guys and gals Anyone checked out AMCN today With the new
GSXR1000 I want one.So the formula xtreme next year should be better with the R1,CBR900 and new GSXR1000.Also no one but me is alowed to enter the comp to win the project busa
LOL.
Yes, been reading about it a http://www.bikenet.com

Here are some pics. How about those forks!

GSXR 1000

The GSXR Range (where de Busa?)

From BikeNet:

Suzuki

The GSXR Family

These are what we are all waiting for. The new GSX-R 1000 and 600. Of course, they left the new bikes until last, but there were several models with updates, some major, others not so much. The Bandit, 1200 and 1200S, has been around in this 'new' guise for sometime in the UK, but now features better suspension units and a beefed-up swing arm.

Come to Daddy! Just looking at the 1000 lined up against the 750 and 600 you can see that the bike is exactly the same size as its siblings. It's looks like the 600, and when you sit on it, it FEELS like the 600. Ho mammy - the future is so bright I gotta wear welding goggles. I recall riding the 750 and being impressed enough to nearly putting my hand in my pocket, I'm glad I waited.

Let me chuck some numbers at you. This bike is only seven kilos heavier than the 600 and four kilos heavier than the 750. It a rumoured 160bhp at the crank. Weeeeeeeeeee! Titanium coated front forks, six pot stoppers, a new Bridgestone 011 on the front hoop, trick LED dash, focused looks, low drag coefficient. I can see that my licence is going to last all of a week on one of these, better put it on the track - eeek! Now there's a scary thought.

The heart of the beast

The 998cc powerhouse looks, on the face of it, no different to any other litre in-line four. It has an exhaust power valve system like the R1 and FireBlade. It has DOHC, four valves per cylinder fuel injection and, unlike the others, less weight.

The 1000 and 750 share the same cylinder head. The main difference is the cam profile and timing. It has a whole new set of letters for us to use. Not SRAD or SDTV but PAIR or Pulsed Secondary Air Injection. In a nutshell, this means the Suzy air is fed back to the front of the exhaust port to reduce emissions. I wonder if there is one in the seat for scared riders?

Low friction piston rings help reduce internal drag and increase the amount of ponies that make it to the back wheel, while the pistons themselves are lighter than those found in the 750, even though they are larger. This is thanks to a different shaped piston head, allowing weight to be saved.

GSXR1000 Frame

Magnesium alloy is used on the cam, clutch, drive shaft cover and alternator covers to reduce weight even further.

This type of material is normally only found on race bikes or on specials where the owner has too much money!

For the first time on a Suzuki is the SET (another one!); which stands for Suzuki Exhaust Tuning). It's basically an EXUP valve. It sits in the same place as the Yamaha version, just after the header pipes go four into one, and does the same job by matching engine speed with the back pressure in the pipe for better mid-range. It also helps to get bikes through emission and noise controls.

Fuel injection is the same as the 600 and 750 with two butterflies per cylinder to alter the fuel velocity, depending on the amount of intake vacuum. All clever stuff that means more power. The chassis is almost identical to the other two bikes, except the 1000 has half a millimetre of extra thickness in the beam rails to cope with the more powerful motor. It also has a more heavily braced engine to cope with the extra torque of the 1000cc powerplant.

Titanium coated forks

But where you will gain massive points in the bar 'specs' shoot out is with the inverted forks, with their gold coloured Titanium coating and a rear shock that has an automatic temperature compensating damping system.

In a nutshell, the damping shouldn't go west when the shock heats up. This should maintain a constant rate of damping no matter how hard the bike is being ridden.

Six pot calipers with different sized pistons help bring the bike to a stop in a controlled manner, they should give better feedback than a six potter with equally sized pistons.

All in all a very impressive package.

Dear Santa, I have been a good boy this year and I would likeā€¦.

Engine: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, in-line four
Bore x stroke: 73 x 59mm
Displacement: 988cc
Compression ratio: 12.0:1
Fuel Delivery: Fuel injection
Max power: 160bhp claimed
Final Drive: O ring chain
Gear Box: 6 speed
Wheelbase: 1410mm
Seat height: 830mm
Rake/Trail: 24 degrees/96mm
Frame: Alloy beam frame
Fuel capacity: 18 litres (3.9 gal UK)
Tyres:
Front - 120/70 x 17
Rear - 190/50 x 17
Suspension:
Front - Inverted forks Titanium coated with adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping
Rear - Monoshock with adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping and temperature controlled damping
Brakes:
Front - Twin discs, 6 piston calipers
Rear - Single disc, 2 piston caliper
Dry weight: 170kg (375lb)
Colours: Blue/White, Black/Silver, Black/Red.

Email Edited by: Fox  Edited by: 9/14/00 10:01:08 pm