Sub-Frame break news ....
From www.givi.co.uk (luggage makers)

LATEST UPDATE

NEW SUB-FRAME – It has come to our attention that SUZUKI are to make a steel replacement sub-frame available to HAYABUSA owners following structural failures of a number of bikes. It is our understanding that the sub-frame will be available as an option for customers wishing to use the vehicle for the fitment of luggage.

At this time GIVI will not be providing luggage for the SUZUKI HAYABUSA until our technicians can carry out full testing of this new component. GIVI suggests that any customer fitting this new component should not fit luggage to the bike until our factory can confirm its suitability for use.

OLD NEWS

Product recall – Suzuki Hayabusa accessories recall following structural failure of sub-frame.

It has come to our attention that several Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycles have suffered structural sub-frame failures. We are advising any Hayabusa owner that has our accessories fitted to the rear of the bike remove them immediately.

GIVI have actioned a worldwide recall back to the dealer of any accessories fitted to this bike pending the results of an investigation into the matter.

It is advised that the dealer checks the upper mounting cast supports welded to the sub-frame tube for structural integrity and the welded joint itself. SUZUKI has also suggested that any customer with concern have the bike checked by an authorised SUZUKI Dealer.

For further information GIVI can be contacted via the e-mail address below.

GIVI will make every reasonable effort to minimise the inconvenience caused by this recall.

E-mail hayabusa_recall@givi.co.uk
------

Apparently the new sub-frame will cost about 145 ponds about (AUD$350?) - it does appear they are going to re-call and fit free - yet .....

Email
Can you get part numbers and a phone number with a point of contact? Nothing is avaliable in the US.
Not that I need or even want luggage, but I'd feel better with the wife on back.
Blue, that is from a UK luggage maker site - you can email them: hayabusa_recall@givi.co.uk and maybe they will have details - however I have placed a call to Suzuki Australia and will let you know as soon as they reply (later today hopefully) ...
Email
Thank you
... stil waiting for Suzuki .... zzzz ... i'll try again later ...
Email
Ok - here is the news!

Suzuki (Aust) say that there is NO problem with the sub-frame - it is an Internet generated myth - also there is no steel subframe replacement ....

I'm going to pursue this further ... however if you read the manual it does give a recommended maximim carry capacity for the bike ... which I have forgotten ..

Email
Looks like we have the same dealer.
I guess the trick is to look into a UK dealer.
Thanks for looking.
www.motorcyclenews.com/bi...ews&id=796

Here is the link to MCN

Your Suzuki dealer is feeding you bull.

hope this helps

Nuts

Also, try the hayabusa registry. there is a guy from UK on there that had his break and spent a while in Hospital. he is now taking legal action. Vehicle Inspectorate have been informed
NumbNuts, that was the artical that I took to my dealer. The parts guy took a little over a week researching it with Suzuki USA and the part isn't avalable in the US.
If you come up with a ligit part number or you find a dealer with different info let me know. Thanks
Will do oooohhh so slow!!

My cam chain tensioner went yesterday. Dealer has agreed now to fit a manual one for me.

the now dead one was my 5th tensioner!!!
heap of non-tensioning @#%$.!! why do they persist with this design if they are still breaking?? surely changing everyone over to manual would be far safe, cheaper, and better PR than keeping on having to fork out to fix rooted heads and bent valves and pistons etc

If only we knew the answers eh

Nuts
5!!!! Christ how many miles have u done???
Email
I was thinking bent this, rooted that......

WHEELIES!
Have done 15,000 miles since March 1st 2000.

have just put in manual adjuster (this arvo) auto one can be pushed in by hand. same as all the others after I heard the noise.

Dont do wheelies, burnouts, etc.

these 3 pink dot tensioners are breaking left right and centre over here.

manual. problem fixed.

I sent a mail to Suzuki today. saying that when I first got the bike people wanted to know about the performance and what it was like to ride etc. Now all they ask is hows the cam chain tensioner or hows the subframe. Good PR Suzuki!!

Lets see if I get a reply. Probably not.

this sucks. I am glad I have been able to pick up the noise before any damage (apparent damage that should read) has been done. Many have not been so lucky.

I dont know if it is the heat affecting the tension in the spring, the vibration, or what, maybe the spring just cant handle the repeated pounding it gets through accel and decel, and the tightening and loosening of the cam chain on the back run. Maybe a combination of all 3 I dont know.

Boss would probably be better able to answer this than I, or JP if he is still around.

Nuts
Fox, what was the name of the person that said there was no problem with the Subframe of the Hayabusa. This person is representing Suzuki and if it can be proven that Suzuki had knowledge of Sub-frame defects and more subframes break after they denied it, legal action may be considered. Make a written note of every conversation you have with Suzuki including times and dates and people you have spoken to. It will be invaluable if something happens to you.
One member has just reported a sub-frame breakage! Paul Wilde (member 69) has just taken photos, and will get copies to me for posting here as soon as possible. He only found the break yesterday, and is yet to contact Suzuki or his dealer. He does not have a luggage system, and only occasionally takes a pillion (a light young lady ) We wait with baited breath for the outcome.

Also, he has told me that he knows of a Melbourne rider (who was not a club member) who wrote his Hayabusa off, and that rider is alleging the accident was caused by a subframe failure. The details are sketchy, but I gather the subframe broke, and Suzuki apparently had it re-welded, and then the accident happened after the repair and a 2nd failure. But the details are sketchy...

Hopefully we will get some firmer details soon.