Sub-Frame break news ....
You poor bastard. How are you feeling now?

HEIDI xxx
Those photos are way scary sh*T!

Thanks for the post Mike. Get well soon ...
Email
Looks (and sounds) like a nasty accident. I have a question though which I guess is the whole crux of your argument to Suzuki. How can you prove that the break caused the accident and not the other way around? Presumably Suzuki will be saying that you just went into the corner too hot, dropped the bike and that the impact was sufficient to break the sub-frame, given that it's a 200+ kilogram bike and the sub-frame is not really designed to handle that weight in that fashion.

This is in no way meant as a criticism of your riding or your integrity. I am curious, as I'm sure are other Hayabusa owners, as to how you can prove this, as the outcome will affect all of us.

Best of luck with your recovery.
Well expressed, Gazza. I was curious about how the proof could be made.

Podger: Hope your back on your feet (wheels?) soon.
This problem is real. The Subframes are failing and causing serious accidents. Everyone should be checking their subframes for their own safety.
I'm sure a metalurgy test (Think thats what it is called)
will soon be able to pick whether it is a Stress fracture or an Impact fracture. BASI have these tests conducted on nearly all aircraft accidents or incidents,so shouldn't see why the same tests could not be applied here.If it was mine I think I would have allready had it done by now so as to determine the cause of the accident, one way or the other. Does any one know of an incident where the frame has broken and the bike is not so badly damaged ?? Boss
I'm not saying that these accidents are'nt legit. but why has'nt anyone posted a pic of the break before an accident? Surely in all cases your not going to slide down the road. Also I would think that the side grab bar would cause this break if the bike fell onto its left side. I'm not saying the break is a lie - just exploring all avenues. And remember I'm no expert in metal compounds - just a theory.
We have had test's done by an independant test house both on the weld area and on the casting.......enough said?.
Podger
I have had a full metal inspection of the subframe by an independant tester who wrote in the conclusion of the report - "The most recent failure has occurred as the result of the poor weld quality of a repair weld carried out under authorisation." and "The welds present in the originally manufactured sub-frame contained 'heat affected zone cracking', which is not consistent with good welding practice." and "The original failure may have been a result of such weld quality combined with a fatigue failure of one of the main mounting attachment castings."
This report is currently with my solicitors. Let me remind you that my sub-frame broke initially around November '99 and was repaired under authorisation by Suzuki. It broke again in December '99 and the result is the pictures above. Another member here has photos of a broken subframe resulting in no accident, his sub-frame has an identical break as mine. I informed Suzuki Australia of these incidents in October '99 and January '00 and February '00 and have not recieved a reply. The matter is currently with my solicitors. Note : I do not have any luggage systems on my bike and the heaviest person I have pillioned is 65kg.
www.motorcycleworld.co.uk/NEWS/NEWS.asp?page=Earlier+News&passeddate=11/10/00&id=1151&index=0

The issue here for most of you is your own safety. Trust me, you don't want to spend time in hospital with multiple broken limbs. Podger tells me he has a new steel sub-frame fitted to his Busa, photos of which he will post shortly. So any dealer telling you otherwise is mis-informed.

Hayabusa just making sure I have read correct here !!I gather from your post that your sub frame broke and was repaired ie welded and has since broke again ....is this the correct scenario ?? Boss
Yes boss2, that is correct.
I have my "replacement" 'Busa delivered to my home on Tuesday ,with the STEEL sub-frame fitted,and the "spare" original in a box where it will remain,unless one of you colonial's would care to buy it of me ?? guaranteed never raced or rallied (or used)!!!!!!.

What is the position with you guy's and after market exhausts ,can you fit them "legally" and do you?? as a norm'. It may be another avenue that will be used in the continuing "its not our fault Guv'" excuses from Suzuki GB.They would like people to believe (our Vehicle Inspectorate in fact) that the standard system is an integral part of structural system and that an aftermarket exhaust isn't.

So here they have gone from blaming Givi Luggage systems , to calling open season on after market exhaust manufactures.

Let me clarify the position on breakages,if you have a '99 model ,then your sub-frame breakage (if it occurs) will be in the weld area.Suzuki were aware of this problem through their own QA, and possibly a couple of customer complaints so they increased the amount of welding ,and don't forget this is done robotically so it was just a case of programming the machines.
So on a '00 model it's obvious to the naked eye that there is substantialy more weld......this extra welding on aluminium (in particular) causes more heat,more heat causes the alloy to change it's qualities ,similar to annealing, and moves the problem away fromthe weld area, half an inch or so onto the casting.

We know this to be correct ,but you guys compare the welds between a genuine '99 model and '00 at you next meet.

Now the next burning question is modified cam chain tensioners, has anyone who has had the mod' had further trouble after say 7000 miles....or at 15,000 miles .I would like to hear from you.I haven't had aproblem ,but know of number who have.

With that I will close......
Podger