Iridium Plugs
G'day on and all,

Yes the poor old spark plug is at it again. I pitty these guys as their life is quite miserable. They get screwed in and out, high voltages put through their head and then thrown in the rubbish. You wouldn't be a sparkplug for quids.

On a seperate note, If someone is in need of voicing their opinion regarding these plugs(or anything else) at least get your information right, as poor information is only that, poor information. There is so much wrong information going around these days and those who give it must be mindfull that the information given is correct. A disclaimer is nice but the correct information is even better. So Pete, have you found anyone to weld up your clutch torque limiter yet? Enough of that.

Iridium is one interesting element, it has properties that are so interesting it deserves a mention all on it's own. However the Iridium sparkplugs are what you guys are interested in so we will stick to that.

First and foremost an combustion chamber only requires a certian amount of spark to work, any more is wasted energy and uasually dollars. Take for example the Dyna 4000 or the MSD ignition systems. The only advantage they offer over a standard ignition is their add on parts. EG shift lights, RPM limiters etc. By them selves they offer no HP advantage. The only time you may see a power advantage is with a really basic combustion chamber shape like in the old 2 valve Kawasakis. However the Busa has a very efficent chamber shape, so you only need what is necessary.

Contary to what has been put on another board the fact of the matter is that a: a slightly retarded spark will burn the mixture faster than an advanced spark and b: a slightly rich mixture will will burn faster than a lean mixture and produce more power.

The Iridium spark plug is the plug of the future, we all have yet to see where we are heading, and that is emissions. What this plug is capable of withstanding is unreal. Combustion temperaturers far in excess of what we currently know, this will mean ceramic piston tops, combustation chambers and valves so the lean mixturers can be run and get the emissions where the Govt. want them.

If you want my opinion use the CR9EK plug in your Busa it will save you money and work. The R in the plug code means resisitor and is important, if you fail to use a resistor plug in your busa RFI will affect all sorts of items, you will have to trust me on this one.

Of interest Iridium is used as an alloying element to harden platinum. It is also used as the spark plug electrode in jet engine igniters, now they cop some heat. Untill your bike is set up to run these plugs leave them aloan, as Iridiun will corrode at the current combustion temperature but clean itself a elevated temperaturers.

Trust this helps.

Regards Col
Thanks for all that info, guess I'll stick to the cr9's and heed your advice.

On another point, in the interest of keeping the peace on this board vis a vis the 'other' board, it may be better posing any questions to Pete, directly on his board, as he has been banned from posting here (with a possible reply), as we board moderators on this board have been banned from their board. I am sure you will understand that none of us on this board would like to see the flaming start yet again.

Thanks again Col for your contribution in your posts, much appreciated.
Col, your right, I have seen some poor information..........."If you are into the maxium power and the look, then the Akrapovic is the way to go. It will cost far more than the Arrow system and as yet the Arrow seems to produce the better power." Tut tut! Wonder who posted that????
Snaggs
Hey there Col

You have a shop don't you? Where are you based? I would like a little work done on the beast and you seem to know what you are doing. I'm talking after Christmas (I am SICK to death of Sydney at the moment), but I would like you to have a go.

HEIDI xxx
G'day Heidi,

Give me a call on 02 9602 9714, we are in Liverpool on the Hume H'way.

It would be good to see you. Julia (my partner) and I have been at the same location for over 15 years. Interesting as it may seem we have a number of lady customers and we do treat them as people.

As a member your bike will be taken care of.

Regards Col