Clutch Hell
I would have to say with the exception of the clutch (or torque limitor) the Bus is the best bike I have owned in my 35 years riding Japanese bikes.

The dealer advised at my recent 6000k service that it is operating normally, but I have been caught out too often where the thing enagages and disengages in a series of violent clunks when attempting to release the clutch no matter how gradually when revs are above about 2000rpm. If I feed out the clutch and the bring on the throttle as rapidly as I want there is no problem, but forget the quick dash from a standing start. The mechanic's comment was either bag it and smoke the tyre or feed the throttle on once moving.

Is this normal or have I a problem - as it stands I would welcome the mod if it is the limitor.
It's the same with all the busas, you just cant dump the clutch when dragging at lights, you'll most likely stall, doing the mod on the back torque limitor rectifies that prob. Check out past threads on the BTL for more info.

I personally am not in love with the busas gearchanges, I have no problem when I ride the bike hard, but in general slower traffic I can almost feel a double click in the box for almost every gear, namely I have to make sure its thumped in hard past the so called 2 clicks to make sure its in not sure if thats just me or others too.
My Bandit 1200 was a MONSTER in traffic, I could dump the clutch and scream off anything at the lights. I've stopped trying on the bus as I've smoked up the back or stalled once too often. it is the only thing I don't like. Luckily it is only an issue when I go to Sydney, in Canb there isn't much call for lane splitting anyway.
Same here Locobus: Mine was really bad. Took it back to the dealer who managed to improve it without welding but the problem resurfaced resulting in a mid intersection stall that very nearly got me hit from behind by a car who wasn't expecting me to stop. After that I had it welded & it seems ok so far, time will tell I guess. In the meantime , be careful out there!!

PS: Suzuki told me the problem was quote "rider technique" unquote LOL.
Have a look at the MPS clutch mod kit.

www.mpsmall.com/mps/produ...tchmod.htm

I fitted this some time ago and have had absolutely no problems with it. It consists of a ring which fits under the Back Torque Limiter ( BTL ) and renders it inoperable. The kit also came with stiffer springs to compensate for the BTL being disabled.

The mod works really well. The clutch is now predictable and does not grab right at the wrong time. The take up band is still slightly narrow for my tastes but really you can't complain. Fast take off are now just a twist of the wrist away.

The clutch does feel slightly heavier due to new springs, however it really is only marginal. Riding it in traffic I really don't notice.

It was a piece of piss to install and took less than 2 hours, including a test ride. The other thing I like is you can remove it if you ever feel the need to. Once the BTL is welded up then that's it..

Tim
Oops.....Try this

www.mpsmall.com/mps/products/mps/clutchmod.htm
The other thing I like is you can remove it if you ever feel the need to. Once the BTL is welded up then that's it..

That's a very good point you made. Thanks for your input.
G'day one and all,

The mps unit is interesting however, as I once said, you only need just enough clutch to do the job. Any more is a waste of effort. If you really think about it a welded unit with adjustable spring tension is more interesting.

I'm looking at developing this as to assist the different power levels that the Busa can produce.

Regards Col