Suzuki, or not Suzuki, that is the question
As some of you may or may not know, late last year I had a minor altercation with the ground... As the damage was not too extensive, (and on the track, making insurance claim questionable anyway), I effected repairs off my own bat.

Due to the short sales history of Hayabusas, many parts were only available genuine (e.g. mirrors) but some parts are very interchangeable with other bikes - both brake and clutch levers were available at 25%-30% of Suzuki retail price, non genuine. They were in bags labelled ZX-9 but were identical (except they had 5 settings for the clutch reach instead of 4).

Bargain! The quality was obviously down a bit (a couple metal burs needed filing off before I could slip in the hinge pin, and the adjustment wheel was hard to move) but having saved myself around $120 for the two, I was quite pleased.

Some time later, holding the clutch in while rocking the bike back onto the centre stand, the clutch lever snapped in my hand. I have now forked out the extra, and replaced it with a genuine lever at almost $100, and am thinking of replacing the brake lever.

So, some parts can be replaced non-genuine, but my advice is to consider how important is that part before making a price only decision.

Other tip - I replaced the cracked mirror with flat glass for only $15, as the amount of curvature on the original mirror did not appear to be too great. Likewise, this was a mistake, and I soon bought a genuine mirror, as the difference between the two was only really noticeable once riding.

Cheers, everyone, and safe riding

Richard
Funny you should mention the brake lever. Fitted one (aftermarket) to a guys R1 once, he was far more happy then paying for the genuine one. (you can just tell this is going to end in tears can't you?) Anyway, he travelled north to do a race meeting at Oran Park, pulled out of the pits and shot off down the straight. It appeared every one but him heard the nasty metal sound of the span adjuster drop out onto the pit exit road. He said the lever was still there when he went for it at the end of the straight (debatable) but obviously "they no work". Fortunately he didnt hurt himself too much, (couple of broken bones, mild concussion) but the bike was f****d!! Really f****d!!! Moral of the story? None really, just some input!
Personally I sooner go for the genuine stuff, atleast it is going to be reliable and you know the part is going to work, and in most cases not all, even if the parts are more costly, in the long run I believe you get value...