Recall topic
Copy and pasted recall topic before moving other stuff back to General. 02/11/00
Fox
Australian Club Member
(10/30/00 10:19:57 am)
Reply | Edit | Del All
Recall
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anybody (in Aus) received a recall notice yet..?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email

Volvi
Australian Club Member
(10/23/00 2:09:39 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Recall
Not yet, though I have been told they are in the mail or due out very soon. I have been told that Suzuki are due to replace them with the 'ratchet' sort of tensioner supplied by them, due in this week. My dealer says that he should have them for installation sometime mid next week.

Heidi1
Australian Club Member
(10/23/00 3:34:04 pm)
I've just spoken to Action Canb and they are replacing mine Wed just before I head off to Phillip Island. They have been more than helpful (considering I didn't buy it from them).

HEIDI xxx

Boss2
Registered Guest
(10/23/00 4:54:23 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Recall
Get them to fit the manual one and you'll have more chance of making it there and back .......................with the engine running that is LOL

Fox
Australian Club Member
(10/24/00 12:38:26 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Action Sydney tell me the parts aren't in the country yet! EEK!

Email

Pars069
Registered Guest
(10/24/00 5:09:46 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Recall
Hi All,
Talked to Suzuki, Australia today and they said that the recall for the cam chain "adjuster" recall will be posted by this Friday!
regards Rob

Boss2
Registered Guest
(10/24/00 5:42:12 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
FIT A MANUAL .......................TENSIONER !!
It's failsafe at least and could save your arse Boss

GLENN
Australian Club Member
(10/24/00 9:17:06 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Have to agree with you Boss. Time bombs are no fun to ride..

Gazza
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 10:50:37 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
I received my recall notice in the mail today...not that I'm intending on using it yet. I'll leave the manual tensioner on for piece of mind and wait and see how many of the new ones fail as it seems they have already started to do on the 750s.

GLENN
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 12:27:05 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Recall
AGREED.

GLENN
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 12:35:32 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
MINE WAS IN TODAYS MAIL...

Volvi
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 1:15:08 pm)
My bike is booked for the recall work for this monday. I am told its not just a simple switch over, there are many other parts to change and strengthen at least half a days job if not more. The part I am told is similar to the 750 but not the same.

I figure if it f**cks up then its their problem, even if I am disadvantaged.

Snaggs
Registered Guest
(10/25/00 1:41:57 pm)
Some people just dont learn.........or won't listen!

Boss2
Registered Guest
(10/25/00 1:46:59 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Tensioner and tensioner slipper to be replaced 3.5 Hrs
But then what the F--k would I know Hey Volvi LMAO
p.s. apart from being disadvantaged death could also be a factor to consider.But once again what would I know !!!!!!!
Good Luck Boss

jamie
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 2:02:33 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Well im going to place my trust that suzuki would not supply
a recall part that would place anyone in danger.Anyway the part did not arrive in time for me so im going to the gp
without the recall work done.Call me what you like im ready for it. .Is it true what ive heard that its not exactly
the same as whats in the 750.

Volvi
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 3:24:23 pm)
Agreed Jamie.

Pete didnt you say that you were sure that Suzuki would surely do the right thing? Are you now saying that I should'nt trust them?

Fox
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 3:41:54 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
I wish there was way to get Suzuki to fit the manual tensioner ... Pete would it be about the same price as the recall parts do you reckon..?

Email

Gazza
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 3:48:10 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
I trust Suzuki to do the right thing...just as I trusted them to do the right thing with all the other tensioner recalls. Hey, if I go out to start my bike and it breaks and destroys the engine then let Suzuki fix it. If I happen to be hooking it down the road at breakneck speed and destroy myself I doubt there's very much that Suzuki could do to fix me, they're engineers not surgeons (or miracle workers).

I wear quality gear costing around $2,500 when riding my bike to protect myself in the event of a mishap, why would I skimp on $80.00 on the bike to do the same thing? Maybe I just don't suffer from the "it'll never happen to me" syndrome.

Hayabusa1999
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 4:05:14 pm)
So far no recall here, I only had my bike serviced last friday, I'm going to go back there tomorrow and ask the Suzuki Dealership if they have heard anything yet as I haven't, as I want to get it done asap, before the weather warms up, as I don't want to be stuck up in the middle of no where....
And I do plan on coming to a ride day shortly there in Melbourne, got to meet you guys soon..

NumbNuts
International Club Member
(10/25/00 5:18:46 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Tensioner fix
DO THE MOTORHEAD FIX TO THE STOCK TENSIONER!!!!!
Leave tensioner in place.
take the short bolt out of the top
replace with a longer bolt, nut screwed on first
loosen tensioner mounting bolts about 2 mm
do up new bolt untill it contacts the plunger screw..do up another 1/2 turn till it goes tight (NOT TOO FAR !!)

snug up nut to lock in place
tighten mounting bolts
job done
plunger cannot back out
Converts stock tensioner into manual tensioner

cost?? 1 nut&bolt ($0.25) bolt is 20mm long thread, think its M10

Boss2
Registered Guest
(10/25/00 5:41:45 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Tensioner fix
Sorry Big (oops) Numb Nuts tensioner can still back out with this fix.The only way to fix to manual so it cannot back out is to drill and tap a 4mm thread 12 mm in from the tensioner boss face at the rear (at right angles to tensioner rod)do not drill further up the body than this as it will damage tensioner spring as you screw lock bolt in.
For all the hassle buy a MANUAL tensioner fit and forget.
Boss
busababy
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 5:59:50 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
i also got my "URGENT IMPORTANT INFORMATION" notice from suzuki today regarding the tensioner however, too late to save my engine, as i already posted,,

regarding the tensioner: if the tensioner spring breaks the tensioner allow the chain to have excessive freeplay which results in upsetting the valve timing dramatically which can result in the pistons hitting the inlet valves in the cylinder head, the damage to the engine from that point on can be considerable,,

when you are travelling down the road at a great rate of knots under power and the spring breaks, you will not experience the problem till you back off the throttle, at that point the tensioner will fail and a terrible cluttering noise will be heard from your engine particularly, if you roll on the power - that's if the engine hasn't already cut out by that time, on hearing the noise you must immediately disengage the clutch and kill your engine to minimize any damage and avoid a possible rear wheel lockup,,

between now and the time you have your tensioner replaced, just be fully alert to any unusual engine noises and be ready to disengage the clutch, kill your engine and cruise to a safe stop, no panic required, do not try to re-start the engine! your bike will then need to be transported, practice this manoeuvre so you will be ready just in case,,
:

Boss2
Registered Guest
(10/25/00 6:06:22 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
You know I could swear it would be a lot less head,ache,time,hassle and less practice required to just fit a manual tensioner.???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Boss

Snaggs
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 6:25:28 pm)
I trusted Suzuki with the knowledge that the (re-called) camchain would work properly.......it did'nt! Love the bike, but not the problems. Manual tensioner fitted.......problem fixed!

GLENN
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 8:39:25 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Hey Jamie common sense says if they already @#%$ed up with the last recall a manual replacement is the go. Also to Volvi the whole head and cams have to come off and be removed to be able to replace the chain guides in the process.. These guides are only replaced to accompany the new tensioner.I have the manual tensioner and know it can't fail.

busababy
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 9:48:14 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Glenn, just to correct your comment that the manual tensioner "can't fail" , well let me tell you it can if you don't maintain it correctly, also like any other working component it can fail due to wear and tear or fatigue,,

a more apt description would be that, it's less likely to fail than the current unit provided that its maintained correctly, there is NO evidence to suggest that it's BETTER, WILL LAST LONGER or OUTPERFORM the new one currently being fitted by suzuki under the SAFETY RECALL,,

are we to understand that the entire team of engineers at suzuki are naive, incompetent or haven't got a clue and are prepared to risk the safety of some 600 odd busa owners around australia or the much larger number worldwide, in fitting this 'inferior' new tensioner when a manual one is available or can be easily manufactured...

can you be certain that fitting the manual unit will comply with the warranty in all respects and is engineered specifically to perform on the busa ??????....

jamie
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 10:02:07 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
one of the reasons im going with the suzuki item is at the
moment i cant afford the manual one.And yes i know it only about $80.But its my choice and thats the one i made and im the one who has to live with it.And i dont intend to have the bike that much longer 9 or 10 months at the most.No im not giving up on the busa just getting a new one before the
warranty runs out.I must have a lucky busa 30000 kays no probs so far touch wood.

busababy
Australian Club Member
(10/25/00 11:29:46 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
I am one of the very early busa owners and only know of ONE tensioner recall till now, so according to my grade 1 maths, this one makes it 2 ?????
where in the f..k does all this smart info come from???????

Boss2
Registered Guest
(10/26/00 12:01:00 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Christ this is out of control every body is a bloody expert.
And to be honest I have never read so much incorrect information in one day on a single subject before.A manual tensioner is a cast body with a threaded hole in it that has a bolt screwed into that thread.............WEAR and TEAR,FATIGUE from what? where?
It's a bloody bolt screwed into a thread, it's job is to simply hold the tensioner in a set position so as to allow the cam chain to have the correct amount of freeplay ?????
WARRANTY...........well it would have to be proved that the item fitted created or contributed to the problem ??
Why do Suzuki go to the trouble of an automatic type ??? at a rough guess because our lazy society demand every bloody thing to be automatic and they also have to cater for the idiot factor of people that don't even check there tyre pressures let alone there cam chain tension !!!
I'm no genius and I don't know it all but I do know my job,it's what I'm paid to know.To repeat the words of another person who used to be a member of the club.....if you don't know what your talking about your best to shut up .I wish you all a good Gp weekend and safe riding Boss