Road Action, please read.
Hi all,

I know Iâ€m not well known for my seriousness but I have a proposition to put to the group as a whole.

I have recently taken it upon myself to “make a difference” to one of my favorite stretches of road. Over the past four years I have been witness to the gradual decline in the quality of the road surface, the maintenance of the shoulders (unsurfaced shoulders), and the control of roadside vegetation. On top of this there has been a motorcycle fatality two years ago (a young rider hit and killed by a vehicle on the wrong side of the road in a corner), a serious motorcycle collision with an on-coming car (admittedly it was from all accounts the riders fault yet there was no way the car could have avoided the collision due to the lack of clearance and shoulder on the road) and another recent crash where a bike lost rear wheel traction (from what we can gather due to poor road surface in that corner). Not to forget about numerous looses and minor crashes of bikes that have gone unreported to police. For example, every motoGP that has happened since I have lived here, the Monday after the race weekend I find at minimum of two sets of slide marks leading off different corners to damage in the trees and pieces of bikes left on the side of the road.
Ready for the clincher? The road is only (according to Vicroads) 8.2 kilometers in length. The road I refer to is the Bunarong Coastal road, also know as, Bunarong Coastal Drive, aka, Bunarong Road, that follows the cliff top between Cape Paterson and Inverloch in South Gippsland, a half hours drive East of Phillip Island.

After making some casual enquires at the local council I was informed that the road was a VicRoads issue. Vicroads than informed me that it was a Parks Victoria issue as the road runs though a Marine National Park and of course they claim it is a council problem. So I set out to establish liability and found some fantastic stuff.

Your gunna love this. On the 14/2/2004 as a part of the Motorcycle Safety Levy Black Spot Program, Bunarong road as a black spot was dealt with. The problem/deficiency as outlined in the table of recognized black spots stated; Curved alignment with unseal shoulders and inconsistent delineation. Some hazardous culverts at Surf Pde. (For your information Surf Parade corner is within 300 meters of the Eastern end of the 8.2 km stretch.) I continue to quote the table; Treatment, Improve delineation (include curve markers, speed advisory signs and linemarking) along length, culvert extension and safety barrier at Surfe Pde.
Whatâ€d it cost you ask??? To do what they say they did. Would you believe they have stated $64,000. Yeah the corner at Surf Pde is great, but itâ€s only one ruddy corner outa heaps that were/are in worse condition and in more vital locations. Plus, if you read the rest of the table you will find as I did that less was spent in other places and far more achieved.

Here is the deal. The road gets heaps of use, itâ€s advertised in the tourist info for the area as a fantastic coastal drive with great views and a major tourist attraction (Eagles Nest, south Gippslands poor equivalent to the 12 apostils). It is a regular ride for push bikers especially over summer and it is DANGEROUS for everybody not just us.

The condition of the road.
At present, there is no recognizable shoulder on either side of the road for at least 95% of its length. The surface is shinning over in places from buses, transports and car use. The local native vegetation is growing so close to the road that it is visibly being pruned by vehicles as they pass by. The vegetation is so overgrown that what would be considered safe corners are now blind corners and where car parks are off to the side of the road there is no visibility for vehicles wishing to pull out and rejoin the road. Pushbikes have no other option but to ride in the lane to avoid the trees and stay off soft sand edges and poorly maintained culverts that are within a meter of the lane in places.

Ok so you have read all this and you now ask whatâ€s he going on about?

Letâ€s do something. If you have a favorite road near you that you can see needs some repairs speak out. See if itâ€s listed as a blackspot under the Motorcycle Safety Levy scheme. Find out who is responsible for its condition, and front them. If not for yourself, or other motorcyclist, do it for the sake that your voice might save a life! Even if itâ€s a cage driver, we canâ€t, as responsible road users see these problems and do nothing. I have gathered all the information, (Black spot reports, Council documentation outlining VicRoads responsibility and the agreement with Parks Victoria for the maintenance of the road, maps, tourist broachers that advertise the road and police figures on accidents on the road) needed to support my case for action, all acquired in less than two hours. Iâ€m ready and GOING to act.

Why else have I posted this here?
If nobody has issue with it I would like to attach the “Australian Hayabusa Club” name to this endeavor, along with the Primary School that I work at and numerous other organizations and individuals that have shown support for my action.
Let me know if this is ok as soon as possible before I approach those who NEED to be told.

Thank you for reading all of this and I hope that it has inspired at least one other to think similarly.

Your friend
Geoff.
I have no issues against your intent in improving our roads and fully support your endeavours on behalf of us all. I am sure many of the clubs members feel the same and I for one would have no objection in you using our clubs name.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
Are you sure it will help not hinder Coolsmiley

The concept is good ... but i would have trouble giving unconditional support without at least reading the proposal.
Hey dude - go for it I say - one thing I really want to fight tho - is those friggen wire rope barriers!!

they are putting in MORE! the UK has outlawed them & in WA some riders have already been killed because of them!!

now that one I reckon we should all ride to town hall about
and the metal plates (large, 2x3meter) they stick over road works.. there has been on in Melb City for 2 years now.. NSW has to paint them with no slip stuff now, but doesnt seem to be the case here in Vic
[Image: bmr.gif]
Maj Wrote:Are you sure it will help not hinder Coolsmiley

The concept is good ... but i would have trouble giving unconditional support without at least reading the proposal.

Fair statement. Basically everything is as stated above and i plan on approaching the regional director of VicRoads in person. I feel that through diplomacy and honesty with the materials i have collected thus far and a few photographs that I shouldn't have much trouble getting a result. (The facts are fairly overwhelming in this particular situation and the photos... well the vegetation really is as bad as it could possible get).

If this fails or I encounter a closed minded VicRoads representative I won't loose my temper, I will merely become more motivated. In which case i would produce a package containing all of the material I have collected plus official statements from both law enforcement and civil individuals. Once compiled I would then send this package to supporting parties (post online here for this group) for official endorsement. Upon gaining this endorsement I would send duplicates of the package to VicRoads head office and local office, to the local state member for parliment, to Parks Victoria, and I would personally present the material to a sitting of the local council.

If all that failed I would write an article outlining all the material evidence and have it printed in the local papers and tourist magazines care of being friends with the respective editors and some of the journos. If I don't succeed than i would at least want to make the local community aware of the fact that the road is dangerous due to the ignorance and neglect of those in power, and it is not due to apathy in the community.

So the long as short is. At this stage if asked who i represent, all i ask is that i have group concenses to say that I am member of the Australian Hayabusa Club as well as represeting the others i mentioned earlier. If i need to go to stage two i would submit the material for an official endorsement at that time.

Is this ok, Maj?

Respectfully
Geoff.
RaZz0R Wrote:Hey dude - go for it I say - one thing I really want to fight tho - is those friggen wire rope barriers!!

they are putting in MORE! the UK has outlawed them & in WA some riders have already been killed because of them!!

now that one I reckon we should all ride to town hall about

Hey Raz,

If you are serious about wanting to have a say on this matter (by all means do, the more voices the louder the message) If I were you I would do so through the Motorcycle Riders Association of Australia Inc.

Check out the following to help you decided how seriously you wish to persue this issue as well as check out other issues that the MRAA are currently representing you, and the rest of us motorcyclists, on.
Please pay particular attention to the end of the page where it asks you to farward details of Wire Rope Barriers that you feel are poorly placed from a motorcyclist point of view.

http://mraa.org.au/forum/modules/issues/...?pagenum=7

Mybb, the metal plate issue might be a good one to present to the MRAA, especially if it has been an issue that has already been dealt with in another state.

Hope this has helped.
Geoff
problem is I think they should all be ripped out. in any case of a biker going down where they are it will cause more harm then good.

The company that made these even said that if motorcycles are used on the roads that they are to be placed on - not to.

eg: The gov thinks they are safe on straight roads as less crash's for motorcycles on straight bit of road, hence you see them on the south easten freeway (Monash) - now this is incorrect thinking from the get go & from some one whom does not ride. Any rider knows that you could be forced to move lanes because some dick didn't see you & wanted to change lanes, its why we know whats going on around us & why we like to stay clear of traffic.

Now lets say your on the freeway & some car ends up pushing you out of the inside lane in to the emergency lane & because of crap in that lane you lose it & head for the wire rope's.... which = a chopped off limb or head.

there can be any number of reasons why a ride can/could crash & as such I see them as an insult to my life!
hey raz, i went to a bike protest near work last year... its not just the ropes but also the fact there is a steal pole every meter.. The ropes can tear you apart but if you miss them you hit a pole that smashes every bone in your body
[Image: bmr.gif]
Geoff overgrown shrubbery is a pet hate, (I think i'm becoming too used to poor surfaces ), tee intersection onto my local highway has one example thats obscuring vision more often than not in the last 20 yrs.and yes i would put my name on such a proposal.
anyone hear about a protest ride/rally against those fuckin wire rope barriers, count me in:devil: arseholes all of them..

f*** it im gong to the pistol range again tomorrow morning...
Me not likey wire rope.