The useless bits of info to see if we can make a million posts thread
Today was "Snake Day" for us. First sighting of the season. My place adjoins a National Park and there's a reserve between myself and my eastern neighbour as well... which seems to be prime mating territory.

We didn't get much sun today so I wasn't expecting any ill-natured 1.5 metre visitors on the reserve (which is elevated, so ground level on the reserve is chest level on my driveway)... but as I was heading over to the Otto Bin to toss out some trash... there he was... big male red-belly. Surprisingly fat for this time of the year so the feed must be good. Sunning himself about a metre beyond the bin. I stopped a few metres short of the bin. He raised his head... which put him at eye level with me.... made that noise I find hard to describe... but conveys a message along the lines of "F@#k off... I'm not in a good mood!". At about the moment I decided to slowly head back for the house, he decided to slither away into the bush along the eastern side of the reserve and down the hill. He was soon followed by a smaller female that I hadn't seen... she was further away. About 5 seconds later he was down on my level... motoring towards the bush. Those things can really move when they want.

I've lived here for 7 years so I'm kinda used to it, but it freaks my kids out big time. They wouldn't even get into the car about an hour later until I'd inspected underneath it.

Normally we don't see them unless it's mating season. Going to be interesting around here for the next month or so.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The useless bits of info to see if we can make a million posts thread - by Astro - 11-10-2009, 10:01pm